08-01-2013 12:41 PM
535 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Motorola X not a phone, but a brand to rival the Galaxy lineup - GSMArena.com news

Okay, so if this is true then we MIGHT get a Quad Core Moto phone in the lineup... What do you all think?
    Of course.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    03-17-2013 11:50 AM
    I just hope it's soon after because If I don't upgrade my Nexus to the S4, I don't want to wait too long after my upgrade date to upgrade lol. (july 1)
    03-17-2013 11:52 AM
    Motorola X not a phone, but a brand to rival the Galaxy lineup - GSMArena.com news

Okay, so if this is true then we MIGHT get a Quad Core Moto phone in the lineup... What do you all think?
    Possible. I think it makes perfect sense for Google to "relaunch" Motorola Mobility with a new brand/line up of smartphones with both hardware and software that conforms to Google's standards. If they give it the right marketing push it can really reinvigorate the brand and gain momentum. This lineup could have the benefit of running stock Android (maybe with a "modular" unobtrusive skin that runs Motoblur) and receiving timely updates directly from Google with no carrier meddling like it is with the Nexus line. It is also possible that this lineup from Motorola ends up tackling both the high as well as the mid range spectrum, keeping the Nexus line purely high-end. It will definitely be interesting to see what is up for Google I/O this year.

As far as I know, out of the Android OEMs Motorola has more marketshare than HTC and Sony, so if Google can put out some very nice Motorola devices that secure their current user base and expands it, then they'll definitely be on the race to tackle LG and pose a threat to Samsung's dominance.
    03-17-2013 06:10 PM

I think Motorola missed the boat when it gave Verizon exclusive rights to the RAZR brand in the US. Everyone is unifying their brands (Galaxy S/Note, One, Optimus, Xperia). Motorola needs to do the same thing.
    AMTrombley0924 likes this.
    03-18-2013 01:04 PM
    I hope I am proved wrong, but I mean it's moto, how revolutionary can it be? Lol

I will be curious to see how involved Google has been with this project. Everything points to partner rather than a purely Google contracted device(I know I am splitting definition hairs here). We will see. I hope I am wrong, but i just don't see anything game changing coming out of this. At least nothing to live up to the hype around it...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    to be honest.. the Razr M is revolutionary for phones. its battery life, durability, and all around great form factor is unmatched to this point on android.

I just came on here to see if their was anything in the rumor mills for a new motorola phone, besides the fact their reception is on another level from every other manufacturer.. this new phone backed by google is a no brainer.

you would have to be nothing short of an ***** to not be excited for this.
    Ry and revtech like this.
    03-18-2013 04:39 PM
    to be honest.. the Razr M is revolutionary for phones. its battery life, durability, and all around great form factor is unmatched to this point on android.

I just came on here to see if their was anything in the rumor mills for a new motorola phone, besides the fact their reception is on another level from every other manufacturer.. this new phone backed by google is a no brainer.

you would have to be nothing short of an ***** to not be excited for this.
    It's amazing how the reception myth left over from the flip phone days won't die...

Sent from my SCH-I535
    03-18-2013 06:22 PM
    It's amazing how the reception myth left over from the flip phone days won't die...

Sent from my SCH-I535
    I know from first-hand accounts that that myth is true for some people (DROID 2 to Galaxy Nexus, DROID X to Galaxy S III).
    Rizz1-2 likes this.
    03-18-2013 06:26 PM
    I know from first-hand accounts that that myth is true for some people (DROID 2 to Galaxy Nexus, DROID X to Galaxy S III).
    My experience with a max hd is my rezound matches almost exactly and s3 always less than 10 db behind in low signal situations.

My rezound also beat bioncs and razors though.

The vzw gnex should never be a signal comparison lol

Sent from my SCH-I535
    03-18-2013 06:37 PM

Sent from my SCH-I535
    myth? I've owned 3 samsung smart phones that had horrible reception, in the same area my motorola gets incredible reception.

and at my house, my girl has an HTC smart phone.. we literally had to buy an extender box for her phone because she was getting NO SIGNAL, where as my phone gets fine reception.

its not a myth.

edit: her phone is the HTC Rhyme.

other people might have different experiences.. I find it hard to believe other then the bionic which was known to have issues.

I will never buy another brand then motorola.. my main use of a phone is reception, not angry birds.
    orchidsbloom likes this.
    03-19-2013 05:22 AM

Sent from my SCH-I535
    My wife's Razr Maxx HD always seems to have a stronger signal than my Galaxy Nexus in side by side comparisons
    03-19-2013 08:58 AM
    Re: the build your own device model, I've been thinking about this and someone else brought it up in another thread, but wouldn't it be harder to support multiple configurations of the "same" phone - depending on what components you could pick and choose, of course.
    dcunited08 likes this.
    03-20-2013 01:52 PM
    Re: the build your own device model, I've been thinking about this and someone else brought it up in another thread, but wouldn't it be harder to support multiple configurations of the "same" phone - depending on what components you could pick and choose, of course.
    If a close secondary goal is keeping prices low; yes this would be incredibly hard. A lot of the room for profit margin comes in the form of efficiency gained via economy of scale. Even if there were only 5 choices for 5 options, if my math is right, that's 120 different devices... all with potentially different physical dimensions, especially if screen or battery are options. If those two are not... not sure what exactly is left for customization. On board storage, RAM and color? Simpler to just give it 2GB Ram, 64GM OBS and have a few color options; 120 options becomes 3-4.
    03-20-2013 02:21 PM
    If a close secondary goal is keeping prices low; yes this would be incredibly hard. A lot of the room for profit margin comes in the form of efficiency gained via economy of scale. Even if there were only 5 choices for 5 options, if my math is right, that's 120 different devices... all with potentially different physical dimensions, especially if screen or battery are options. If those two are not... not sure what exactly is left for customization. On board storage, RAM and color? Simpler to just give it 2GB Ram, 64GM OBS and have a few color options; 120 options becomes 3-4.
    We will have to see but I more concern if it will speak to the masses. Which I don't believe it will. The idea customizition is apealing to tech fans but masses won't bother with customizing.

Now if the take customizing for one phone into packages of budget phone, mid range phone and flagship phone then that would far more consumer friendly. Furthermore leave out the RD to make separate phone for budget,mid range, and flag ship. Then with the one phone you can market for all classes of phones under the same name.

There would be know need to have series of phones to fit each market. You.will have one customizable phone that can be marketed for every category.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    03-20-2013 03:04 PM
    We will have to see but I more concern if it will speak to the masses. Which I don't believe it will. The idea customizition is apealing to tech fans but masses won't bother with customizing.

Now if the take customizing for one phone into packages of budget phone, mid range phone and flagship phone then that would far more consumer friendly. Furthermore leave out the RD to make separate phone for budget,mid range, and flag ship. Then with the one phone you can market for all classes of phones under the same name.

There would be know need to have series of phones to fit each market. You.will have one customizable phone that can be marketed for every category.

Which is why I'm having trouble believing the hype about this "Dell-like" model for smartphones.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    03-20-2013 03:10 PM
    Which is why I'm having trouble believing the hype about this "Dell-like" model for smartphones.

The other issue would be on the kernel side ~ every hardware change requires slightly different accommodations for "drivers", requiring either one very large and robust kernel or a dev team to individually code each possibility. Also, when it came to update this thing, support for all the hardware combinations would be required.. very difficult to do; the HTC One X, One X+, One V and One S are an example in the real world. Add in the possibility of a CDMA version and things get crazy fast.
    Ry, TheLegoman and Rizz1-2 like this.
    03-20-2013 03:16 PM
    The other issue would be on the kernel side ~ every hardware change requires slightly different accommodations for "drivers", requiring either one very large and robust kernel or a dev team to individually code each possibility. Also, when it came to update this thing, support for all the hardware combinations would be required.. very difficult to do; the HTC One X, One X+, One V and One S are an example in the real world. Add in the possibility of a CDMA version and things get crazy fast.
    This guy right here...

He's making a crazy amount of sense.

Edit: Also, Im a fan of the Avatar.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-20-2013 04:13 PM
    That isn't to say they can't find a way to overcome the obstacles, but I'd personally rather they release 1-3 great devices than 100+ mediocre ones.
    03-20-2013 04:29 PM
    I am having trouble seeing a customization system that will work. Maybe if it is all they do for the year.

I would like to see the dual core Intel or Snapdragon, 2gb ram. I doubt it will have an sdcard.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    03-20-2013 06:08 PM
    That isn't to say they can't find a way to overcome the obstacles, but I'd personally rather they release 1-3 great devices than 100+ mediocre ones.
    Same here, or at least I rather they nail down 1-3 very good and solid devices, promote them heavily in order to gain some share, before they get into the whole customization thing.
    03-20-2013 06:53 PM
    Maybe they should try a double-subsidy, where Google and carriers both subsidize the cost of the device on-contract. Carrier subsidy $350, Google subsidizes the rest. Then every Google/Motorola phone becomes the "free" phone. lol
    dcunited08 likes this.
    03-20-2013 07:27 PM

I find all these great ideas never come to light or are minor glimer of what could of been. Google I love you guys but really think a huge change or Android is going to become the Linux of the mobile world which believe Google and Android has become.

03-20-2013 11:35 PM

Maybe customization is pointed more at customizing the case, i.e. make it the color you like, different designs, etc.
    03-22-2013 06:25 PM
    Android is going to become the Linux of the mobile world which believe Google and Android has become.
    What does this mean?
    03-22-2013 06:31 PM
    Just a little anecdote from the other day. I'm sitting in a restaurant eating with my wife.. I notice a guy wearing a bunch of motorola gear who is obviously a product ambassador/rep type dude so I casually walk up and introduce myself and ask him if he has any leads on new gear. He says he hasn't heard anything. I ask him if he's heard about the X phone and he says a little bit but nothing specific..just that it exists. The only inside info he had was that he is not allowed to take any time off during the third week of May but he had no idea why. I told him that's when Google IO is taking place and he's like "oh.. what's that?"

Kinda funny but I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence or if they are planning a launch for that timeframe.
    03-22-2013 07:49 PM
    If the crazy rumor of customizable specs comes true then Goto will make a lot of money off folks who think that the OS gains much from the difference between 3 and 4GB of RAM among other limitations.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-22-2013 08:59 PM
535 ... 34567 ...