Motorola "X" Phone

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what I am excited about. It will be like a whole Nexus family.
It's funny that no one has done this earlier. I've been saying for years that a company like Sony could skip their OS modifications and just go pure Android. It would have allowed them to gain a huge segment of the market instead of struggling. The updates are so important to so many people.

Now if Motorola goes this direction I wonder what will happen to the Nexus brand? Will they continue to have other manufacturers make Nexus devices?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's funny that no one has done this earlier. I've been saying for years that a company like Sony could skip their OS modifications and just go pure Android. It would have allowed them to gain a huge segment of the market instead of struggling. The updates are so important to so many people.

Now if Motorola goes this direction I wonder what will happen to the Nexus brand? Will they continue to have other manufacturers make Nexus devices?

Uh. Blu.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly what I am excited about. It will be like a whole Nexus family.

If Motorola ships "stock" Android devices (with unlocked bootloaders), is there still a reason for the Nexus line of phones to exist?

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
These phones will be separate from Nexus devices. The Nexus brand shows the capabilities of the software in general - and comes unlockable. I see Moto's new pfferings as showing off what the android experience as a whole can truly offer, and will not be unlockable - i.e. they will actually go to carriers.

I would love a device like this - no need to be unlockable, stock android with a pure, maximized experience.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
2 things that will potentially kill this.
1. Moto's chappy bootloader policy. If it's locked with no stock way to unlock, it's wrong.
2. Moto has little carrier pull in the US. If they can't get it on all 4 big ones without intervention I will be surprised.

Something else maybe not so important to some, but it is to me is the software buttons. Of they don't add extra screen for them, then if will be highly disappointing. One of the things getting my gs3 over a RAZR max hd was this. The s3 feels like the screen is much larger during normal use and is much more of a pleasure to use. You get much more info in just about everything. Expecially Web Tapatalk ect

Sent from my SCH-I535

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
2 things that will potentially kill this.
1. Moto's chappy bootloader policy. If it's locked with no stock way to unlock, it's wrong.
2. Moto has little carrier pull in the US. If they can't get it on all 4 big ones without intervention I will be surprised.

Something else maybe not so important to some, but it is to me is the software buttons. Of they don't add extra screen for them, then if will be highly disappointing. One of the things getting my gs3 over a RAZR max hd was this. The s3 feels like the screen is much larger during normal use and is much more of a pleasure to use. You get much more info in just about everything. Expecially Web Tapatalk ect

Sent from my SCH-I535

Ekchually, it is VZW's 'crappy' bootloader policy and Googlrola may have a whole lot more carrier clout (esp with VZW) than Moto did. I agree about software buttons.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Moto will not ship a stock android phone. Sorry, it won't happen. The majority of users just want something easy that works. Most people aren't phone geeks like us. This is from what a Motorola employee has said himself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Moto will not ship a stock android phone. Sorry, it won't happen. The majority of users just want something easy that works. Most people aren't phone geeks like us. This is from what a Motorola employee has said himself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The current iteration of MotoBlur is really close to stock Android though. It's not that big of a leap.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The current iteration of MotoBlur is really close to stock Android though. It's not that big of a leap.

It's not, but it is still a leap and if anything it devalues Moto's ability.

One thing ppl don't think about either is that stock does not automatically mean immediate updates. Drivers still have to be written for hardware after release. That is unless Google gives moto special access before release(something I am assuming only for nexus brand). Google originally said that they would not give moto any special treatment, but I guess they could go back on that. But where will the line be drawn?

Sent from my SCH-I535

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
So Wicks was lying then when he said they are releasing pure Android with regular updates then? You somehow have insider information on this?

And I believe that pure Android is super easy to use. There are fewer options in most cases and less bloat so I'm not sure what you are talking about on both points.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It's not, but it is still a leap and if anything it devalues Moto's ability.

One thing ppl don't think about either is that stock does not automatically mean immediate updates. Drivers still have to be written for hardware after release. That is unless Google gives moto special access before release(something I am assuming only for nexus brand). Google originally said that they would not give moto any special treatment, but I guess they could go back on that. But where will the line be drawn?

Sent from my SCH-I535
I disagree. Asus has proven that devices with a lightly skinned OS can get updates almost right away. My transformer prime got jellybean 2 weeks after it was released. Google doesn't hold some power over the manufacturers. It's about how complex the skin is and how much extra crap the Tel Co.'s add on that causes problems.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
So Wicks was lying then when he said they are releasing pure Android with regular updates then? You somehow have insider information on this?

And I believe that pure Android is super easy to use. There are fewer options in most cases and less bloat so I'm not sure what you are talking about on both points.

Just what I've read over on hofo. That was a few months ago and things might have changed. If they do release, my guess is it will be a certain line.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. Asus has proven that devices with a lightly skinned OS can get updates almost right away. My transformer prime got jellybean 2 weeks after it was released. Google doesn't hold some power over the manufacturers. It's about how complex the skin is and how much extra crap the Tel Co.'s add on that causes problems.

Which of those Asus devices were phones?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I have a tf300 and realize that, but a month after release is still not immediately. When ppl see stock Android, they think immediate updates on release. They have to realize that that may does not necessarily be the case. You are still depending on the manufacturers to get off their tails and do it.

Plus you have the carrier situation, but most ppl on here will just flash it themselves anyway...

Sent from my SCH-I535

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Which of those Asus devices were phones?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
point taken but it still shows that the path is easier to travel if there is less to update and test.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a tf300 and realize that, but a month after release is still not immediately. When ppl see stock Android, they think immediate updates on release. They have to realize that that may does not necessarily be the case. You are still depending on the manufacturers to get off their tails and do it.

Plus you have the carrier situation, but most ppl on here will just flash it themselves anyway...

Sent from my SCH-I535
True but the Asus devices are still not pure Android. I don't think anyone would be complaining about updates if they only had to wait a month. The SGS3 took almost a year to get jellybean. That's too long. And even that wasn't the latest version. I think Moto would do themselves a big favor by going pure or close to pure Android and give people the same service that Apple has been delivering. They can still add in extra bloatware apps that can be used or omitted if they like but the core updates need to be fast and Google knows it. I bet they despise the word Fragmentation like no other. They spend all this time developing a new os yet only 5% of the market can use it for the first year. It's a crazy business model. And now with Key lime pie coming out, where does that leave people?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Archos announces new line of stock Android (and Google-certified) smartphones | Android Central

This thing is all sorts of confusing.... three devices, both "stock", two on 4.1 and one on 4.0, all are missing on screen buttons and have a wildly inappropriate button configuration (menu button that shouldn't exist and missing the recent apps button). These devices insult the concept of "stock" and, while proving that companies can do this, also show the dangers of doing it with very poor execution.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

it wont be vanilla android.

think french vanilla.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
True but the Asus devices are still not pure Android. I don't think anyone would be complaining about updates if they only had to wait a month. The SGS3 took almost a year to get jellybean. That's too long. And even that wasn't the latest version. I think Moto would do themselves a big favor by going pure or close to pure Android and give people the same service that Apple has been delivering. They can still add in extra bloatware apps that can be used or omitted if they like but the core updates need to be fast and Google knows it. I bet they despise the word Fragmentation like no other. They spend all this time developing a new os yet only 5% of the market can use it for the first year. It's a crazy business model. And now with Key lime pie coming out, where does that leave people?

Jelly bean has not even be out a year lol and the s3 got it a few months ago...

Sent from my SCH-I535