Motorola "X" Phone

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Never meant to imply it was real, just wanted to ask what would everything think if it was a real campaign.

That is not what you said - not sure why you are now backtracking. LOL.

Means nothing.

But this might ... http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/26/motorola-x-phone-leak-sprint/

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't it be funny if the actual engineers snooped rumors for ideas?

There was article I read that was speculating Moto never was working on the moto x but was working in flagship device. They see this great buzz on rumor devices and decided work buzz to there advantage.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
There was article I read that was speculating Moto never was working on the moto x but was working in flagship device. They see this great buzz on rumor devices and decided work buzz to there advantage.

This is exactly what I believe has happened. I mean why not benefit from the ignorance of the Internet?

Sent from my SCH-I535

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola's in a curious position. Still running at a loss technically, if you don't count their "Google money", Motorola is considerably doing worse than HTC - another "troubled" Android OEM. Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility closed over a year ago, yet we're still waiting for those devices fully developed under the Google umbrella. Not to say that products like the DROID RAZR M (and it's close cousin, the Intel-powered RAZR i) and DROID RAZR HD were bad products. They just felt like they were a step behind the big players of that era (namely the Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC One X).

At Techweek Chicago, comments by Jim Wicks, SVP Consumer Experience Design, seem to position Motorola's next effort as not playing the spec war - hyping the user experience and making "people's lives better" vs. faster processors, more RAM, more megapixels. Comments like this point back to Google I/O, where there was discussion of activity aware APIs where your Android-powered smartphone can know if you're walking, running, cycling or driving. Pair this with Google Now and you've got smart computing. Motorola is no stranger to innovative concepts like this - see MOTOACTV, Webtop. Infusing a Google perspective can only make it better.

But who's the target audience? Iqbal Arshad, SVP Engineering & Product Development, mentions the 5.5 billion people that don't own a smartphone. With Samsung running away with Android, and HTC having a hit with the One, Motorola might be eyeing a play at a sector where Nokia and now BlackBerry have found success - emerging markets. Does that mean Motorola's next effort will fall into what people here consider midrange or even low-end? If it can deliver on a "better is better" approach, will a midrange classification even matter (to the masses of course, not tech nerds that hang around sites like this)?

Does a MOTO X need to match a Samsung Galaxy S4 or an HTC One spec for spec just to compete?

The hype around the Motorola MOTO X is very high. What will the measure of success be? And will it be realistic?

More -

From Techweek in Chicago -

https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350262667891572737: "It is passion - the willingness to bend rules, break rules and go beyond - that will drive innovation" - Jim Wicks
https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350262953561436160: "We're not talking about technology, we're talking about people. The technology exists to make people's lives better."
https://twitter.com/mkeating312/status/350263665959768065: "You don't need to be the technologist to be the only one innovating."- Jim Wicks

https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350264955423047681: "We know that the future of devices is smart computing." -Iqbal Arshad, SVP Engineering & Product Development
https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350265117637738497: "Our industry needs to start building better designs that solve real consumer needs." -Iqbal Arshad
https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350265713971310596: "There are about 5.5 billion people who don't have a smartphone. Our goal is to make their lives better." -Iqbal Arshad
https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350266124157468673: "Today, Motorola feels like a startup. Our ambitions are big. Our pace is simply insane." -Iqbal Arshad

Last edited:

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I am less concerned with having the latest specs if they are not required to receive updates and have a usable device (responsive and lasting battery). My new laptop has an i3 in it and it does what I need just fine. I think mobile specs are hitting the law of diminishing return and now price and software features are the new battleground.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am less concerned with having the latest specs if they are not required to receive updates and have a usable device (responsive and lasting battery). My new laptop has an i3 in it and it does what I need just fine. I think mobile specs are hitting the law of diminishing return and now price and software features are the new battleground.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm not sure I agree that we're at at a hard wall of drr, but I agree most content doesn't come close to utilizing what the devices can do. Under current paradigm, a true octacore would be overkill. When the usage of these devices morphs again, it'll be harder for the "low end" devices to stay current, but right now the big differences are noticed either in gaming or in UI stuttering, such as with TouchWiz.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I agree that we're at at a hard wall of drr, but I agree most content doesn't come close to utilizing what the devices can do. Under current paradigm, a true octacore would be overkill. When the usage of these devices morphs again, it'll be harder for the "low end" devices to stay current, but right now the big differences are noticed either in gaming or in UI stuttering, such as with TouchWiz.

I kind of agree with you and with DC. I don't see the need at all for an octacore phone. Hell even a a quad core is overkill sometimes. If the efforts of OS development were doubled then I'm sure a next gen dual core could handle almost anything. I mean look at iOS, it plays nice games and has probably the smoothest UI in the game, and they use a 1.3ish Gz dual core!

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I kind of agree with you and with DC. I don't see the need at all for an octacore phone. Hell even a a quad core is overkill sometimes. If the efforts of OS development were doubled then I'm sure a next gen dual core could handle almost anything. I mean look at iOS, it plays nice games and has probably the smoothest UI in the game, and they use a 1.3ish Gz dual core!

There's also a point of diminishing returns. All those cores, specs, and features require power which means batteries drain faster which means a juice-less phone is a very expensive paperweight.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
There's also a point of diminishing returns. All those cores, specs, and features require power which means batteries drain faster which means a juice-less phone is a very expensive paperweight.

Especially when we as consumers want thin and light (mostly). They could make a phone with enough battery and ram to support all these crazy specs. But no one would buy it because it'd be a brick haha

Prandroid81

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. I think specs are important on android because the phone still hasn't reached the point of zero lag and buttery smooth animations. I'd say on ios specs no longer matter, since that phone is so smooth you can barely tell the difference between processors anymore. However, android requires more computing power and specs such as processor speed still make a noticeable impact on the user experience

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. I think specs are important on android because the phone still hasn't reached the point of zero lag and buttery smooth animations. I'd say on ios specs no longer matter, since that phone is so smooth you can barely tell the difference between processors anymore. However, android requires more computing power and specs such as processor speed still make a noticeable impact on the user experience

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Well how much does OEM ui have to contributing to that problem?

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Well how much does OEM ui have to contributing to that problem?

Exactly. If the oems weren't putting new processors in every new phone and actually spent the time to optimize one good processor with their os's, we would have a zero lag android experience. Look at the nexus 4. That thing is buttery smooth

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. If the oems weren't putting new processors in every new phone and actually spent the time to optimize one good processor with their os's, we would have a zero lag android experience. Look at the nexus 4. That thing is buttery smooth

Not what I meant but I see your point. I was referring to the "oem user interface" (touchwiz, sense, etc) causing the lag seen in android not android the os.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia