Motorola "X" Phone

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Not what I meant but I see your point. I was referring to the "oem user interface" (touchwiz, sense, etc) causing the lag seen in android not android the os.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

I knew what you meant, I was just trying to add to it haha. The oem interfaces could be just as smooth as vanilla android if they spent the time to make it that way. Rather than just stick a bigger processor in the phone hoping it fixes the problem.

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I knew what you meant, I was just trying to add to it haha. The oem interfaces could be just as smooth as vanilla android if they spent the time to make it that way. Rather than just stick a bigger processor in the phone hoping it fixes the problem.

Remember the saying, Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away? Adding hardware does not help software run as well as actually optimizing the software.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus have been upgraded to 4.1. Both devices had minor differences in performance regardless of processors.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. I think specs are important on android because the phone still hasn't reached the point of zero lag and buttery smooth animations. I'd say on ios specs no longer matter, since that phone is so smooth you can barely tell the difference between processors anymore. However, android requires more computing power and specs such as processor speed still make a noticeable impact on the user experience

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Project Butter was supposed to fix most of that.

Throwing better hardware specs reeks of laziness.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You can make a nexus device stutter easily. Just go into the app drawer and swipe through the apps until you get to the widget pages. Lag city.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

I concur. Going from apps to widgets in the app drawer in my Nexus 7 is not a good experience.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Excellent point. I know a little about why that's happening, but I agree part of butter should have been to smooth transitions like that out, either by prefetching making an assumption you might go there or by making those actually one area of the UI instead of just being conjoined.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Stock android is not all its made out to be. I would love to have stock device, but not because it's stock. Because of the development that goes with stock. I would avoid it like the plague it had to be kept exactly like it is. Just too featureless and nothing really interesting.

Also I am a firm believer that most of the lag issues with android has to do with the base operating system. Skins just make the underlying issues more apparent. Just like if you put stickier tires on a car or add power. Chassis issues become noticeable.

Sent from my SCH-I535

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Excellent point. I know a little about why that's happening, but I agree part of butter should have been to smooth transitions like that out, either by prefetching making an assumption you might go there or by making those actually one area of the UI instead of just being conjoined.

It's just the UI they chose. It's very graphically intensive. I'm sure there's a way to keep the UI but make it lighter, but they've chosen not to do it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's just the UI they chose. It's very graphically intensive. I'm sure there's a way to keep the UI but make it lighter, but they've chosen not to do it.

Yeah but it's also calling two separate areas. Like app drawer and widget drawer are two objects that just happen to be next to each other. You'll see the same stutter in many settings, such as running apps to cached processes, etc. They're grouped together for the user but not in part of the same object. That may have changed in a recent version, but in 4.1 that's how it worked. But you're 100% right, all the thumbnails of widgets do tax it.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but it's also calling two separate areas. Like app drawer and widget drawer are two objects that just happen to be next to each other. You'll see the same stutter in many settings, such as running apps to cached processes, etc. They're grouped together for the user but not in part of the same object. That may have changed in a recent version, but in 4.1 that's how it worked. But you're 100% right, all the thumbnails of widgets do tax it.

I think a part of the problem is that it looks like the widget thumbnails are drawn on demand instead of just being cached. It's the same ridiculousness that apple had when they added backgrounds to iOS, and all of the text had individually drawn drop shadows.

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I just wish Google would make stock Android easier to use for those who are not tech savvy. I absolutely do not subscribe to the farce that is "the iPhone and IOS are user-friendly" because I don't believe that it is any more easier to use than Android, Windows Phone, and even Blackberry.

Rather, I think that Android attracts so many first time smartphone buyers thanks to good price points that it's time to really embrace the ideas of stock tutorials and layouts that are more user friendly (e.g. The camera app, for one thing). I've long stopped using TouchWiz, but that's absolutely something Samsung has gotten right with their skin.

My mother can barely use Windows and shes been interacting with it for decades. There's still a strong segment of people who have a higher learning curve for technology, and Google really needs to cater to these people better with stock. I think more manufacturers would be willing to embrace stock if it was easier to use for first timers (could prove beneficial on lower end devices that sell less for the sake of features than for price points), and I think Android would have a better shot at maintaining first time smartphone buyers in the long run when it's time to renew their contract.

Of course this is merely an observation and I have had little difficulties getting adjusted to the nuances of Android since switching from Windows Phone/Blackberry last year myself, but I do believe it's something Google needs to consider with stock (and hopefully, the Moto X will work to address this as well).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I just wish Google would make stock Android easier to use for those who are not tech savvy. I absolutely do not subscribe to the farce that is "the iPhone and IOS are user-friendly" because I don't believe that it is any more easier to use than Android, Windows Phone, and even Blackberry.

Rather, I think that Android attracts so many first time smartphone buyers thanks to good price points that it's time to really embrace the ideas of stock tutorials and layouts that are more user friendly (e.g. The camera app, for one thing). I've long stopped using TouchWiz, but that's absolutely something Samsung has gotten right with their skin.

My mother can barely use Windows and shes been interacting with it for decades. There's still a strong segment of people who have a higher learning curve for technology, and Google really needs to cater to these people better with stock. I think more manufacturers would be willing to embrace stock if it was easier to use for first timers (could prove beneficial on lower end devices that sell less for the sake of features than for price points), and I think Android would have a better shot at maintaining first time smartphone buyers in the long run when it's time to renew their contract.

Of course this is merely an observation and I have had little difficulties getting adjusted to the nuances of Android since switching from Windows Phone/Blackberry last year myself, but I do believe it's something Google needs to consider with stock (and hopefully, the Moto X will work to address this as well).

My grandmother still has difficulty using a computer but easily picked up her N7.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

People will then equate easy for less featured or limited. And the hardcore fans of Android will hate that and say the iPhone sucks and they don't want Android becoming like the iPhone.

I don't buy into the price point argument because there's been an iPhone at free, $100, and $200 on-contract for years now.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
People will then equate easy for less featured or limited. And the hardcore fans of Android will hate that and say the iPhone sucks and they don't want Android becoming like the iPhone.

I don't buy into the price point argument because there's been an iPhone at free, $100, and $200 on-contract for years now.

And $649 unlocked. Compare $570 (HTC One, double the storage) and $349 (Nexus 4)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And $649 unlocked. Compare $570 (HTC One, double the storage) and $349 (Nexus 4)

The number of people that buy handsets at those prices is tiny.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance