Motorola "X" Phone

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am going to laugh when there is absolutely nothing interesting about the fabled xphone. I guarantee it will be just a different variation of the upcoming droids that they will slap an x on.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Most overhyped phone in recent history.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Curious -

Do you get the same results without Nova?

Are you saying the hardware on the Nexus 7 is old and irrelevant? It's the current Nexus 7" tablet.

1) yes there is no lag on any launcher, Nova is just a good choice for this test because it has the same apps/widgets configuration as AOSP launcher

2) I am not saying the Tegra 3 in the Nexus 7 is "irrelevant". But it is not in the same performance class as the Snapdragon S4 Pro in the Nexus 4/Optimus G, or the Snapdragon 600 in newer phones.

It is disappointing that newer versions of Android have performance issues on my Nexus S. But the newest two generations of smartphone processors at least are showing incredible performance on jelly bean, whether nexus or not.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
1) yes there is no lag on any launcher, Nova is just a good choice for this test because it has the same apps/widgets configuration as AOSP launcher

2) I am not saying the Tegra 3 in the Nexus 7 is "irrelevant". But it is not in the same performance class as the Snapdragon S4 Pro in the Nexus 4/Optimus G, or the Snapdragon 600 in newer phones.

It is disappointing that newer versions of Android have performance issues on my Nexus S. But the newest two generations of smartphone processors at least are showing incredible performance on jelly bean, whether nexus or not.

I have not been impressed with the Tegra 3 in my tf201 either, I will look for Qualcomm going forward. I guess Asus/Google have not been impressed either if N7.2 rumors prove correct.

The Nexus S is 4 generations behind and does not have the hardware capabilities JB is leveraging to reduce lag namely ram and multiple processors. I worked on a GS on cm 10 at work the other day and it was noticeably slower than my GS2.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.

The price that matters to consumers is the price that they pay.

Most consumers pay the on-contract price. Full retail is nearly irrelevant.

Posted via Android Central App

The only reason that full retail price is nearly irrelevant is that carriers hide much of the actual cost of the phone in the monthly service price resulting in a serious lack of price transparency. We would be much better off as consumers if service plan costs were divorced from phone costs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The only reason that full retail price is nearly irrelevant is that carriers hide much of the actual cost of the phone in the monthly service price resulting in a serious lack of price transparency. We would be much better off as consumers if service plan costs were divorced from phone costs.

See T-Mobile.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
See T-Mobile.

Right, but T-Mobile is the only major carrier that has implemented that business model. Last I checked, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint have not embraced that model.

juicebox666

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

The Nexus S has limited RAM, a single-core processor and a slower GPU. I loved my Nexus S, but it really started to chug near the end of its life. The Nexus 4 is an all-around great device delivered at an excellent price. Best bang for the buck in the Android landscape.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Right, but T-Mobile is the only major carrier that has implemented that business model. Last I checked, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint have not embraced that model.

See Cricket, Metro-PCS, etc.

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

At&t and Verizon both have prepaid offerings.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
See T-Mobile.

Lol when tmobile has a network that is even comparable to verizons we can talk about them. Until then they don't deserve my money, even if they do many other things right.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Lol when tmobile has a network that is even comparable to verizons we can talk about them. Until then they don't deserve my money, even if they do many other things right.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Their coverage is as good where I am and their speeds have been proven to be as fast if not faster nationwide.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Their coverage is as good where I am and their speeds have been proven to be as fast if not faster nationwide.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I agree, from self reporting it seems like if T-Mobile has strong HSPA+ in your area, it's awesome. If they have just HSPA it's terrible and the real problem is that they're not in most places (area wise) even though they do cover a large portion of the population. It makes traveling difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34