Motorola "X" Phone

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile coverage needs improvement to say the least but there price point is hard to beat if your on a budget.

Hopefully if their LTE Network coverage will be better than their HSPA+.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I guess the WSJ had a story saying the moto X will be similarly priced with the competition, possibly $199 / $599. Saw it on droidlife.

That would certainly rule me out for an off-contract purchase if true, especially of a midrange device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I guess the WSJ had a story saying the moto X will be similarly priced with the competition, possibly $199 / $599. Saw it on droidlife.

That would certainly rule me out for an off-contract purchase if true, especially of a midrange device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

That would kill it for me. I was planning on getting one off contract.

Although The Verge is reporting it will be in the $199 off contract range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't think that was "reporting" so much as "wild guess based on the price of the Nexus 4"

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nobody knows what the exact price will be but I have read a lot more of the $199/$599 numbers now

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Lol there is no way that the X will be in the nexus price range unless it is replacing the nexus.

The nexus is a dev phone subsidized by Google to make it cheap for developers. Google makes no money selling it. They only make it to support android and the ad revenue and information it creates for them.

The X phone is a phone made by Motorola. Motorola has to make a profit or they go under. There is a reason every other smartphone is $500+. It's because companies have to make money on hardware. Something Google does not have to do.

Now Google COULD subsidize the xphone the same way, but why? What purpose would there be for the nexus line? Will moto never stand on their own without papa Google paying the bills for them?

This phone has so many unreasonable pipe dreams attached to it it is ridiculous. It's destined for failure just because of the internet.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol there is no way that the X will be in the nexus price range unless it is replacing the nexus.

The nexus is a dev phone subsidized by Google to make it cheap for developers. Google makes no money selling it. They only make it to support android and the ad revenue and information it creates for them.

The X phone is a phone made by Motorola. Motorola has to make a profit or they go under. There is a reason every other smartphone is $500+. It's because companies have to make money on hardware. Something Google does not have to do.

Now Google COULD subsidize the xphone the same way, but why? What purpose would there be for the nexus line? Will moto never stand on their own without papa Google paying the bills for them?

This phone has so many unreasonable pipe dreams attached to it it is ridiculous. It's destined for failure just because of the internet.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Thank you.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nobody knows what the exact price will be but I have read a lot more of the $199/$599 numbers now

Analyzing what people have wrote re: $199/$599 -

Articles seem to say "reasonably" or "competitively" priced with current smartphones. $199 on a two-year contract/$599 full-retail is the current pricing for most smartphones. That's where $199/$599 comes from. For the X to compete, all it would have to do is be sold either at or below the $199/$599.

Until it's announced, no one should read the $199/$599 as fact.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yet another possible Moto X photo leaks | Android Central

5434fd39jw1e6isnl7ev6j218g0xc40r-2.jpg

ekimpadd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The X phone is a phone made by Motorola. Motorola has to make a profit or they go under. There is a reason every other smartphone is $500+.

This is a ridicules statement. Just because every company is selling phones for $500+, doesnt make it "normal".

Now Google COULD subsidize the xphone the same way, but why?

This is why google COULD subsidize the xphone:
- To get the Motorola brand back on track.
- To connect people who doesnt have a lot of money with the internet. This is also a objective of google (ads,paid services,etc.), so that's a interesting point for both companies.

Posted via Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The reason the latest generation costs $599+ is because they have the latest tech. I'd hope that putting in last year's hardware would save some money.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The reason the latest generation costs $599+ is because they have the latest tech. I'd hope that putting in last year's hardware would save some money.

Why are people still saying this? The N4 was $299/349, and it had top-of-the-line hardware when it came out.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is a ridicules statement. Just because every company is selling phones for $500+, doesnt make it "normal".

Actually if everyone but one company is selling phones for $500+, the one company that isn't selling phones for $500+ isn't normal.

This is why google COULD subsidize the xphone:
- To get the Motorola brand back on track.
- To connect people who doesnt have a lot of money with the internet. This is also a objective of google (ads,paid services,etc.), so that's a interesting point for both companies.

But would Google subsidize Motorola's phones, potentially angering Samsung, LG, HTC, and all the other manufacturers?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Why are people still saying this? The N4 was $299/349, and it had top-of-the-line hardware when it came out.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
The n4 was subsidized, the moto X may or may not be.

Some more new insight (obviously based on leaks, not facts)

X Phone specs, and why you shouldn't care. - Android Authority

I agree with the theme of this article, experience should take a front seat and specs should take a backseat. But will motorola be able to make an argument that we should pay the same for an experience as we pay for the components (if the price matches the GS4 for example)? Apple does (successfully). I dont know if essentially stock android can make the same argument.

Last edited: