Motorola "X" Phone

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Haha I've skipped a upgrade and have been holding onto this one for a month or so now. (my family shares / switches upgrades)

Minimalistic, I love that circles widget.

The only thing that worries me is that theres no power button on top. Atleast with my brothers Droid Maxx HD the power button and volume rocker are odd in placement and use, with me atleast.
I think power button is on the right and volume rocker on the left. I will settle with Motorola ui since from what seen of late they try keep as close stock compared to other OEM ui. As long as I can get an extended battery up to at least the 3000mah range I think will be happy with the phone. Through I will still wait to see what Nexus 5 will be before getting a Moto X.

Battery performance is number one concern with my next phone and then having stock android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
Moto-X-Listening.png

Rogersmotox2-e1373809371977.png

Looks like the power button and volume are on the right side of the phone.

Sim card tray?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
On one hand I am quite eager to own a phone assembled in the US, on the other hand Specs do matter if you keep your phone for a significant ammount of time [I still have my Droid 2 g] Assuming the Droid Ultra specs trump the X and that they are equally "optimized" the Ultra might be the better choice for longevity.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
On one hand I am quite eager to own a phone assembled in the US, on the other hand Specs do matter if you keep your phone for a significant ammount of time [I still have my Droid 2 g] Assuming the Droid Ultra specs trump the X and that they are equally "optimized" the Ultra might be the better choice for longevity.

I am not on Verizon but if the software was same on Moto X and Droid Ultra then I would like have Droid only for possibility of bigger battery. The Droid Ultras having a bigger battery may mean a better battery life than Moto X which is what looking out for in my next phone.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The Ultra will likley be a rehash of the Droid Razr Maxx HD but 5" and all to 'compete' with the s4 and one.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This is looking more and more like a phone I might get my wife ;-)

Let's hope they can actually do something interesting with it software wise sense it looks like hardware will be a wash(typical for moto).

Sent from my SCH-I535

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Last year the RAZR HD released well ahead of the Galaxy S3 and HTC one x in the spec race. Its problem was being Verizon only at a time when the note 2 and DNA were both being released.

Transmitted through spacetime.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Last year the RAZR HD released well ahead of the Galaxy S3 and HTC one x in the spec race. Its problem was being Verizon only at a time when the note 2 and DNA were both being released.

Transmitted through spacetime.

How was it ahead in the specs? It had the same hardware as both and less ram than the s3. And both came out months before. Meanwhile the dna and note 2 were stepping it up. The RAZR before it was the same way...

Sent from my SCH-I535

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How was it ahead in the specs? It had the same hardware as both and less ram than the s3. And both came out months before. Meanwhile the dna and note 2 were stepping it up. The RAZR before it was the same way...

Sent from my SCH-I535

Right, they were both 720p AMOLED, however the Razr was slightly higher ppi due to it being 768p over 4.7" rather than 720p over 4.8. The both had 1.5GHz Qualcomm S4 dual core processors, both had 8MP cameras, both had SD cards, etc. Where the Razr beat out the S3 was in battery life, software and radios. The battery in the S3 is a 2,100 mAH and the Razr HD came in 2,530 for the standard or 3,300 for the Maxx.

The main point was they made something that compared perfectly to the Q2 phones and released almost 6 months later, while other OEM's were making devices that were ahead of the pack. I think we agree on that point. But the only things the S3 beat the Razr HD on were RAM, carrier availability and units sold.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If we are not already there then very soon shopping for a high end phone for most consumers will be the same as shopping for a luxury car. The vast majority of luxury car buyers really don't care what is under the hood nor understand the engineering differences between BMW, Mercedes and Lexus. There always will be a cadre of enthusiasts who do know the details, and there might be special niches of phones that carve out strong identity in a particular categories, just like Porche has carved out strong identity in the sport's car category, but I think phones have begun to plateau in innovation among the different brands. The number of "upcoming special announcements for unveiling new devices" by the majors or OEMs seems like a weekly occurrence. It makes me think the market is quite saturated yet the OEMs don't let up. Thinking out loud here and keeping with the car analogy, I wonder if eventually handful of major players will survive and then those for the long term will be the brands that are here to stay.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Right, they were both 720p AMOLED, however the Razr was slightly higher ppi due to it being 768p over 4.7" rather than 720p over 4.8. The both had 1.5GHz Qualcomm S4 dual core processors, both had 8MP cameras, both had SD cards, etc. Where the Razr beat out the S3 was in battery life, software and radios. The battery in the S3 is a 2,100 mAH and the Razr HD came in 2,530 for the standard or 3,300 for the Maxx.

The main point was they made something that compared perfectly to the Q2 phones and released almost 6 months later, while other OEM's were making devices that were ahead of the pack. I think we agree on that point. But the only things the S3 beat the Razr HD on were RAM, carrier availability and units sold.

And camera. Even though they had the same number of megapixels, the camera on the razrs was god awful.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else feel like it is time for another leak about the Moto X......It just feels right that something more will drop today. Here is hoping.:)

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
All I ask of the Moto X is that it be Nexus 4 like enough to allow me to have something similar to the Nexus 4 but on Verizon.

This fixation on quad core in the Android community is a lot of silliness. Hardly anything in the Android OS or apps has any idea what to do with quad core and most only use a single core.
The iPhone 5 has a dual core cpu but the OS and almost all apps are compiled and is much more optimized in general. Anyone who has developed in both knows this to be true. All you have to is use a profiler to watch hardware and memory utilization. iOS development tools are also much better and assist iOS developers in creating efficient code whereas Android dev tools suck and many Android apps are poorly written.

If by "most people" you mean normal consumers, I can assure you that they probably don't care about specs as much as this community. Majority of normal consumers couldn't tell you the difference between the s4 and s600, what differentiates a dual core cpu from a quad from, the ppi on 1080 screens vs 720. They look and the phone and think, "how clear is this screen?" "how smooth is the phone?" "how long will my battery last?"

Another question I ask you is, say Motorola optimized the dual core s4 in the Moto X so much that it would get better performance and battery life than if they were to put a quad core in. Would you still be complaining about the lack of a quad core processor? Speaking of the iPhone you brought up, the 5 has lower specs than almost every android flagship device available now, but yet has smoother performance.

OEMs should be doing what Moto is doing, optimizing the OS so that it runs without any hitches. Not just sticking bigger and bigger processors in the phones hoping the kinks are magically fixed.

Interesting but Laporte is prone to being hyperbolic. Especially if he sees ad money coming his way.

Leo Laporte said there are some features not released in the rumours and said they were "exciting".

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

drhill

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Come on now, snookasnoo. People need that extra pair of cores so their facebook app can have a it's physics calculation thread not be interrupted and switched out for it's AI simulation thread. All while it's pre-fetch thread loads every permutation of clicks on friend's galleries.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Come on now, snookasnoo. People need that extra pair of cores so their facebook app can have a it's physics calculation thread not be interrupted and switched out for it's AI simulation thread. All while it's pre-fetch thread loads every permutation of clicks on friend's galleries.

Hi mister alternate account!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance