X Phone Canceled??

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A lot of that is due to Google's Nexus release cycle being in the "off season" for smartphones. Everyone else drops their heavy hitters in the spring.

Not saying they aren't nice devices, but on the same cycle, they wouldn't be nearly as stand out. The N4, without the low price point, wouldn't be a big draw to consumers vs what's on the market now.

True, I agree with that; but released and actually marketed, no supply issues, etc, etc. 6 months earlier and HTC might not be a company and S3's may have been a marginal device, the LG O Pro might be bigger than the S4... timing is a big influence (and I know I said a lot of big "if's", but as a 2012 phone the Nexus 4 is fairly graded against the S3 and HTC One X, and to a lesser degree (although a more appropriate degree if based only on timing) the Droid DNA and Note 2. Q3/Q4 phones should always be better than Q1/Q2, etc. etc.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
A lot of that is due to Google's Nexus release cycle being in the "off season" for smartphones. Everyone else drops their heavy hitters in the spring.

...what? Droid DNA was announced a month after the N4. Xperia Z, another month later. A month and a half later, the One. And the Optimus G and Padfone 2 were released within weeks of the N4.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
...what? Droid DNA was announced a month after the N4. Xperia Z, another month later. A month and a half later, the One. And the Optimus G and Padfone 2 were released within weeks of the N4.

Its just Sammy and HTC at the end of spring. Lg it's all year, moto summer. HTC and Sammy have some releases too for hot seasons.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

The DNA isn't HTC's big phone of the year, its the late release of last years HTC One X that everyone else got. The Optimus G is basically the same as the N4, but again, it's basically "last years" model, with the Pro series being this year's competitive flagship.

The GS4, HTC One, and Z all hit shelves within the last 2 months.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The DNA isn't HTC's big phone of the year, its the late release of last years HTC One X that everyone else got. The Optimus G is basically the same as the N4, but again, it's basically "last years" model, with the Pro series being this year's competitive flagship.

The GS4, HTC One, and Z all hit shelves within the last 2 months.

The Butterfly/DNA was HTC's best device, but their biggest release was definitely the One X. Honestly, if Verizon hadn't picked up a build of the Butterfly, most of us probably would never have heard of it.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
True, I agree with that; but released and actually marketed, no supply issues, etc, etc. 6 months earlier and HTC might not be a company and S3's may have been a marginal device, the LG O Pro might be bigger than the S4... timing is a big influence (and I know I said a lot of big "if's", but as a 2012 phone the Nexus 4 is fairly graded against the S3 and HTC One X, and to a lesser degree (although a more appropriate degree if based only on timing) the Droid DNA and Note 2. Q3/Q4 phones should always be better than Q1/Q2, etc. etc.

That's the key. the N4 should be a clear favorite over the One X and S3, but it's still pretty darn close.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's the key. the N4 should be a clear favorite over the One X and S3, but it's still pretty darn close.

To the One X I'd be willing to call it close, the S3 I'd compare (and have for about a year, to the sound of aghast Sammy fans) to the Galaxy Nexus. On the spec sheet the Gnex is much more similar to the S2, but from an experience standpoint the S3 and GNex seem much closer together than the S3 and N4. Of course, I've never played with an S3 on 4.2.2 yet, so it's possible that the gap has widened. I'd definitely put the S4 and N4 closer together than the N4 and S3. The N4 and S4 are both still top 5 devices, while the S3 is either 9 or 11 on the top 10, depending on the survey. Best is obviously a very subjective concept, but I think it should strongly consider software obsolescence.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
The Butterfly/DNA was HTC's best device, but their biggest release was definitely the One X. Honestly, if Verizon hadn't picked up a build of the Butterfly, most of us probably would never have heard of it.

Verizon didn't pick up a version of the butterfly. .. They jointly created the DNA and then let the Japanese carrier use it. So it was coming regardless

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Verizon didn't pick up a version of the butterfly. .. They jointly created the DNA and then let the Japanese carrier use it. So it was coming regardless

That's the first time I've heard that. The Butterfly was in the news for months before the DNA was mentioned as anything other than a theoretical "Droid One or Droid Fighter". Maybe Verizon was much better at keeping the secret? It was also released as the Butterfly first (doesn't necessarily mean anything, look at the S4 going to Verizon last). Neither of those things would suggest that Verizon didn't have some input into the device, but I would seriously doubt the claim that Verizon let another company use their phone and/or that it was made for Verizon specifically. The actual One X -ish comparison on Verizon, until the DNA 7 months later, was the Droid Inc 2, which was inferior to the One X, but timing was much more similar.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
That's the first time I've heard that. The Butterfly was in the news for months before the DNA was mentioned as anything other than a theoretical "Droid One or Droid Fighter". Maybe Verizon was much better at keeping the secret? It was also released as the Butterfly first (doesn't necessarily mean anything, look at the S4 going to Verizon last). Neither of those things would suggest that Verizon didn't have some input into the device, but I would seriously doubt the claim that Verizon let another company use their phone and/or that it was made for Verizon specifically. The actual One X -ish comparison on Verizon, until the DNA 7 months later, was the Droid Inc 2, which was inferior to the One X, but timing was much more similar.

It took some digging but i finally found what i was looking for. You can skip to the part that says "Droid DNA Long in the Works" HTC amps up Verizon's Droid franchise with Droid DNA | Mobile - CNET News

Unfortunately the DInc2 was the One-x type competitor, which was kind of a shame because IMO the OneX was a lot more polished. Another unfortunate bit was that the DNA came seven months later, that's the whole timing thing you're referring to. If the verizon would have just gotten the One-X maybe the One could have came at the holiday season last year instead of the DNA. That would have been a real game changer! Which brings the tough challenge back to motorola to release a phone that catches people's attention in the midst of One and S4 talk (again timing like you said)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It took some digging but i finally found what i was looking for. You can skip to the part that says "Droid DNA Long in the Works" HTC amps up Verizon's Droid franchise with Droid DNA | Mobile - CNET News

Unfortunately the DInc2 was the One-x type competitor, which was kind of a shame because IMO the OneX was a lot more polished. Another unfortunate bit was that the DNA came seven months later, that's the whole timing thing you're referring to. If the verizon would have just gotten the One-X maybe the One could have came at the holiday season last year instead of the DNA. That would have been a real game changer! Which brings the tough challenge back to motorola to release a phone that catches people's attention in the midst of One and S4 talk (again timing like you said)

Thanks for the article, I was digging around too :) Yeah, I don't think the X is going to blow us away and it might not even top the S4 or One in specs. If it has advantages, hopefully they're in useful areas, like features, durability, software optimization and/or battery life.

AidanRoberts

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This rumor has exactly the same credibility as the theory that the moon is made out of cheese. 2 reasons for saying that. 1. The phone is done, pulling out when something is already complete is a waste of time. 2. There are no sources at all. This was made up by an analyst in China that has no inside scoop from Google or Motorola, nothing to do with the supply chains, etc. They're trying to piece together a bunch of rumors that we're all following and drew some lost in translation conclusion that people report on for page clicks and because they're afraid it might be true.
so who's trying to get attention if this is the case? Just wondered since rumors don't usually start without that factor..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair