Motorola Nexus

mrip

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Seems to be what we have been seeing is the next Nexus phone. All of the makers have had their shot, running stock android 4.3 on a decent device that lasts for days........ could be the best one yet. Don't dismiss this just yet we will have to wait and see.

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Makes perfect since that this will be the next nexus Google has had control for Motorola for awhile now so they're gonna try to promote Motorola using the nexus brand

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Assuming Motorola is manufacturing it, I'm curious though that is the Google X phone the next Nexus, or will they be two separate phones? If it's the latter, what would make one phone distinct from the other one?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All signs point to Moto X, not "Google" X.

But it's still comes from Google since Google owns Motorola. Actual Nexus? I doubt it.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Assuming Motorola is manufacturing it, I'm curious though that is the Google X phone the next Nexus, or will they be two separate phones? If it's the latter, what would make one phone distinct from the other one?

I don't think they will be two different phones. I might be paranoid but naming the phone "X" strikes me as being somewhat related to the name "Nexus." It sort of sounds the same to me and I don't think it is a coincidence that Motorola and Google chose the name "X." What is super sly about calling a phone "X" is that it leaves open the possibility that you can actually name it anything you want - such as Nexus 5 - when released.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Motorola's chairman said no. It's not the next Nexus.
Yet, when I boot my Nexus, what I see is a big colorful X on the screen.
What can I believe?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Agree with everyone saying us not a nexus. I trust Google and Motorola to know which project they're working on

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

juicebox666

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Motorola has several phones in the pipe (a legacy of devices Google inherited) and are focusing development on the Moto X. I don't think Motorola will be involved in the Nexus 5. Apparently neither is LG.

I'm also very interested in the stock versions of the S4 and HTC One. I'm wondering if that will become more common for manufacturers to release phones like them.

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Motorola has several phones in the pipe (a legacy of devices Google inherited) and are focusing development on the Moto X. I don't think Motorola will be involved in the Nexus 5. Apparently neither is LG.

I'm also very interested in the stock versions of the S4 and HTC One. I'm wondering if that will become more common for manufacturers to release phones like them.

My money would be on Sony. Let's see, HTC and Samsung have Google editions and Sony has an AOSP tree so who is missing?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Since Google owns Moto, my hopes are still with some sort of sweet deal licensing Motos radios to whoever makes the next Nexus. I don't need that to be Motorola, but would love to have those radios

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Agree with everyone saying us not a nexus. I trust Google and Motorola to know which project they're working on

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I trust them that they know what project their working on as well, I don't trust them that their telling the public the truth tho.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is trying to make a comeback... I doubt the first phone the choose to release as their comeback device would be a nexus device that sells for way less than a subsidized carrier phone... Also, in order to make that come back they have to release a device that has their name all over it and says "this is Motorola, and this is where we are heading" not a device that has Google's name all over it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is trying to make a comeback... I doubt the first phone the choose to release as their comeback device would be a nexus device that sells for way less than a subsidized carrier phone... Also, in order to make that come back they have to release a device that has their name all over it and says "this is Motorola, and this is where we are heading" not a device that has Google's name all over it.

Agreed.

Also, it's Motorola. I want Motorola to make Motorola phones.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I changed my mind since my earlier post insofar as I think the Moto X and the Nexus 5 will be two different devices. Despite the fact that LG has built a Nexus 5 prototype (or rumored to have done so), with all the advanced sensors that the reports say the Moto X will have, there is no way that the Moto X could be a budget "Nexus-like" device. In one report I was reading the phone will know if it is in your pocket, and it will sense your behavior when you remove it from your pocket and go into a different mode. These "Jedi" features can't be cheap and they will require extra software on top of stock android.

Also, it's Motorola. I want Motorola to make Motorola phones.

I am not exactly sure why this is important or why it would make any difference. Is the reason something along the lines that Motorola, in order to have a successful comeback, needs to focus at first on the Moto X and then go from there? I think it is kind of strange that a direct competitor of Motorola -- LG -- would be making future Nexus devices unless Google and Motoroloa needed more time to integrate.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I changed my mind since my earlier post insofar as I think the Moto X and the Nexus 5 will be two different devices. Despite the fact that LG has built a Nexus 5 prototype (or rumored to have done so), with all the advanced sensors that the reports say the Moto X will have, there is no way that the Moto X could be a budget "Nexus-like" device. In one report I was reading the phone will know if it is in your pocket, and it will sense your behavior when you remove it from your pocket and go into a different mode. These "Jedi" features can't be cheap and they will require extra software on top of stock android.

I am not exactly sure why this is important or why it would make any difference. Is the reason something along the lines that Motorola, in order to have a successful comeback, needs to focus at first on the Moto X and then go from there? I think it is kind of strange that a direct competitor of Motorola -- LG -- would be making future Nexus devices unless Google and Motoroloa needed more time to integrate.

Two disagreements here... 1. I hate people calling the Nexus line "budget" devices. Every Nexus released so far has been a top device for it's niche at the time of it's release. Being offered for a lower price isn't the same thing as being lower quality, like the acer/hp Android devices to date. The reason the GNex, N4, N7 and N10 are so cheap is because Google is subsidizing a huge part of the cost, instead choosing to make their profits from the ecosystem. 2. For now, I completely agree with Motorola being run with guidance from Google, but not being given advantages over other OEM's. The best case scenario for us, is as much competition and variety as possible in terms of hardware options, etc.

I agree the Moto X and N5 will be different devices and my guess is that many OEM's have built prototypes for the contest, but who knows who will be selected. I think LG hit it out of the park with the N4 other than supply issues, and that's a big problem. If they've resolved those issues and gotten a better demand forecast, I'd love them getting another crack at it. So far every Nexus OEM has gotten two in a row (if you count the Dream as a Nexus (it's not, but it's the first Android device, so close enough).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Very good point. I would never consider my own N4 as a budget device. "Subsidized" is a more more appropriate word.

Except people don't like to think that the N4 is subsidized and that phones are only supposed to cost as much as an N4.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The Nexus line and the Nexus-experience line should be what Google treats as the "stock" Android experience.

I want Motorola to build on top of that- just like Samsung, just like HTC, just like LG. Android was made for customization.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums