Is this really worth the wait?

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
So, I have been eligible for an upgrade since December. I was all set on getting the Motorola Razr HD Maxx until #1 - I played with it in the store and didn't really care for the camera (I rely heavily on my phone camera vs having to carry around a camera) and #2 - I got wind of this supposed X-Phone (the long battery life, Moto's reputation for strong signal strength/call quality, and improved camera excited me).

So, I have tried to patiently wait and watch the forum and web for any indication of if this is a real phone and if/when it may actually come out. My patience is wearing thin now as my Rezound has been acting up and I am really really tired of the poor battery life (having my portable charger just doesn't cut it). This on top of the fact that I played with a S4 yesterday and was pretty impressed by it. It also seems that the supposed specs of the X-phone have changed over the months and maybe it won't be all that it was originally rumored to be.

I know there will always be a better phone just around the corner.... so here I sit and wonder.... Is this X-phone going to be worth waiting possibly another 6 months for or should I just jump the wait ship and get the S4? I saw that supposedly the X-phone for AT&T and Sprint have been approved by the FCC (didn't see anything about VZW). Does that indicate anything with regard to timelines? Is there a general time frame between FCC approval and a phones release date? :confused:

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
IMHO, the phone is purely speculation. It was a rumored device before, and then it was rumored that google dropped it, and then rumored that it's going to be on ATT/Sprint...If your rezound is giving you that much problems, it'd be best to go ahead and upgrade. For all we know, if/when the X Phone is really announced, the specs could be a huge disappointment and you'll end up having used a phone you can't stand for 6 months waiting on a phone that you now don't even want.

But it is really ultimately your decision.

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I would go with the S4 if it does what you want. We are pretty sure the X phone is coming but really the question is what you want in a phone.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

g_schrage52

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's pure speculation at this point. It was said the device would be on all major carriers. The FCC filings we have seen are for AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. They also have similar device names. If they have hit the FCC then aren't we beyond speculation?
Specs have been leaked through the benchmark sites, but those are commonly faked.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The most over hyped mobile product.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The most over hyped mobile product.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

It's still the only hope I have for seeing something I want before the Nexus 5 (if that's even something I want, no rumors about it's specs, design yet).

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought I had read that the XT1056 was sprint, XT1058 was AT&T, and a XT1060 (which isn't on that list) was the VZW one????? Also, is there a general timeframe between when FCC approval is received to when a phone is released?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not an expert on the FCC process' at all, that's just some stuff I found interesting that someone on Google+ was going on about. Honestly, if you're reading it in an article of some sort, hopefully their source is more credible than, "some guy on Google+". I normally don't quote random plussers, but it is the rumors forum...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I thought I had read that the XT1056 was sprint, XT1058 was AT&T, and a XT1060 (which isn't on that list) was the VZW one????? Also, is there a general timeframe between when FCC approval is received to when a phone is released?

Probably about 2 months

The xt1056 is the sprint version, it uses lte band 25 according to the fcc filing

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Camera and Battery life are very important... But I also want to be able to use the phone as it is intended - i.e. need good call quality and signal strength.

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
The best choice would be to wait for the X Phone. It might be the best phone of the year, or it
could be a disappointment. You can't trust rumored specs. Just wait.

Anyway, specifications aren't everything, a S4 Pro is still good, and unless you run benchmarks as a hobby,
you won't notice much of a difference in day to day system performance.
Nexus 4 for example, still performs extremely well.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Camera and Battery life are very important... But I also want to be able to use the phone as it is intended - i.e. need good call quality and signal strength.

I don't have an s4,but my note 2 has a better radio than my DROID RAZR MAXX.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, it looks like the VZW version xt1060 went thru the FCC yesterday, so I am going to try and hold out a little longer. Whatever I end up with, I need to live with for two years. So hopefully something will be announced within the next month or two. And the S4 will still be there in case this Moto phone turns out to be a flop.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

juicebox666

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I really want the X Phone to be a flagship Motorola phone with top end specs to compliment the excellent radios and battery life Moto phones are known for. I don't want a lot of gimmicky software eating up memory. I want to choose my own apps and can usually find what I need. I'm disappointed there wasn't an announcement at I/O and that makes me nervous. I saw a few online rumours that Google didn't like what they saw and told Motorola to do more work on it. That's likely a good sign Google wants it to be special. I'm willing to wait until the summer, but will likely pick up an in-market handset if there isn't an announcement by then. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I really want the X Phone to be a flagship Motorola phone with top end specs to compliment the excellent radios and battery life Moto phones are known for. I don't want a lot of gimmicky software eating up memory. I want to choose my own apps and can usually find what I need. I'm disappointed there wasn't an announcement at I/O and that makes me nervous. I saw a few online rumours that Google didn't like what they saw and told Motorola to do more work on it. That's likely a good sign Google wants it to be special. I'm willing to wait until the summer, but will likely pick up an in-market handset if there isn't an announcement by then. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5 months until the next Nexus... I guess Moto has that long to wow some people, or they'll just end up on the Nexus 5. I'm hoping to get both.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How is Motorola going to compete with HTC One and the S4? I have a feeling the X is going to be a let down.

Why?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The Razr Maxx HD last October pretty much hands down topped the S3; it's only not a big deal because the same month it released along side the LG Optimus G, HTC One X+ and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 had just come out in September. Motorola doesn't make bad devices, they make very solid Q3/Q4 devices. Q3/Q4 devices are almost always better than Q2 devices. In October the S3 went from being the 2nd best device, 2nd to the Note 2 to 5th and in November it left the top 5.

Both the GS3 and Razr Maxx HD spent 6 months in the top 5 list, although the GS3 because of low competition in early 2012 stayed in the front of the list for 2/3 of it's time in the top 5 while the Razr Maxx HD, because of an incredibly highly competitive Q4 stayed in the tail of the top 5 for 2/3 of it's time. It's easy to be eclipsed by the DNA, Note 2, Nexus 4, One X+, etc. all being released within three months.