Motorola X confirmed

jman1323

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know but I hope this thing turns out to be the game changer they are claiming it to be. I'm excited to see this thing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Alot of competition in the smart phone market, and unless you have some kick **** phone at a really good price point, you are going to have rough going against Samsung and Apple. From reading that press release, it doesn't sound like a Nexus 4 price point is where there at, so lots of luck. From the sound of this article, it sounds like it's back to Bloatware on your phone. Thanks, but no thanks....

Motorola's next flagship phone is called Moto X, will be built in former Nokia plant in Texas (updated)

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
You know there is a lot to like in the One. But their blind insistence to have their logo on the front hurts it in so many ways. Moto got the message and it looks like they are going with a stock experience for the most part. Now Moto needs to get this and many others out from under the thumb of Verizon. I had Motorola for years on more different carriers than I care to mention. Would love to replace this Gnex with a Moto X on Tmo. I'm sure as heck not going back to Verizon for this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Help me out by listing a reason other than the fact that a few picky people don't like seeing a tiny logo on the front of their phone.

First it's not that tiny. They could have just put the capacitive buttons in their proper place. Since they didn't you as a user have to retrain yourself to how HTC is doing this. It's bad enough that they made that choice. It's even worse that the whole logo is just that. If it at least was an active button to many could be forgiven.

Don't get me wrong, I like the One a heck of a lot better than what Samsung has foisted upon us with the S4. It's just that the one could have been soo much better except for the hubris of HTC.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I doubt Google will abandon the nexus project after coming so far. It seems like it is an important goal for Google to release high quality devices that showcase the pure Google experience at a low cost to consumers.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I doubt Google will abandon the nexus project after coming so far. It seems like it is an important goal for Google to release high quality devices that showcase the pure Google experience at a low cost to consumers.

And allow you to get Android version upgrades as they come out, which none of the major carriers seem willing to do.

PlusJack

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
No way. The Nexus line is mainly a "slate" for developers to work with the clean Android experience, as it's supposed to be. I doubt they'd give that up. They'll probably have both working side-by-side.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Certainly like Nexus line, but if Google brings pure Android to Motorola, that will warrant consideration. Just hope the Motorola X moves beyond Verizon to AT&T and other carriers. In meantime, the Nexus 4 is doing well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Woodside had two extra nuggets while on stage -- he mentioned that the Moto X will be "broadly distributed" across numerous carriers, a rarity for Motorola smartphones in recent years. Specifically, he noted: "The Moto X is going to be broadly distributed -- that's a first for Motorola in a number of years. The support of the carriers has been fantastic." In other words, this won't be a Nexus device, and you can count on some amount of skinning and bloatware to muddle things up.
This means no, it's not a Nexus phone.

The Moto X should arrive in late summer. Also, a reminder: Motorola mentioned a shift toward stock Android coming later this year. While there isn't any guarantee that the Moto X will embrace that philosophy, it would be a fitting poster child.

I chose to interpret this to mean that there will be an initial Moto X released on carriers this summer, and then "later this year" they'll release a Google Edition.

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I think the trend in Nexus Editions is nice. The Nexus line is good with the immediate updates (unless you are on VZW) but the hardware has been a step behind. While Google says that the Nexus project is about pushing the platform forward they are talking out of their ***. The Nexus 7 was about following the lead of the amazon Kindle and hitting the iPad dominance with a capable low cost tablet. Android was already on Tablets so it wasn't really about showcasing that or taking the Tablet version of Android to a new level. The Nexus 4 was a shot at breaking the carrier model by selling an unlocked $299 carrier agnostic phone (at least on the GSM carriers) that was a solid device. Seriously what about the Nexus 4 pushed the envelop? Screen technology? Battery Technology? Form Factor? It didn't even support the latest network technology in LTE. Which I think ultimately was a huge F U to VZW for how it handled the Galaxy Nexus. Beside you couldn't put it on VZW's LTE network w/o their control.

So honestly if HTC, Samsung, and Moto will sell "Nexus Editions" of their hero devices that is awesome. I would love to see the GS4 or the One come with 95% AOSP but have the better Camera App or some of the other innovations (Zoe or Dual Screen) built in. Have those apps as sepereate add ons. So when you get an AOSP update you can take it, but then you may have to wait for those features to be updated if you love them. Get away from skinning android and rather release some innovative capabilities to show what you can do on top of Android, now that AOSP does not as much help since ICS in the UI department.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the trend in Nexus Editions is nice. The Nexus line is good with the immediate updates (unless you are on VZW) but the hardware has been a step behind.

Not sure I'm reading this right. What else already had an s4 pro quad core cpu with 2 GB RAM on a 4.7" screen in every region when the N4 came out?

/fervently prays I didn't just open myself up to yet another 'grrrrm remuvible battery sd kard grrrrm' reply...

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Not sure I'm reading this right. What else already had an s4 pro quad core cpu with 2 GB RAM on a 4.7" screen in every region when the N4 came out?

/fervently prays I didn't just open myself up to yet another 'grrrrm remuvible battery sd kard grrrrm' reply...

You may be right. I don't remember exactly what was out at that time. 2 gb of RAM could have been a new standard they were looking to set with the NX 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Every nexus device released so far has been at the top of flagship devices on launch day...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the trend in Nexus Editions is nice. The Nexus line is good with the immediate updates (unless you are on VZW) but the hardware has been a step behind. While Google says that the Nexus project is about pushing the platform forward they are talking out of their ***. The Nexus 7 was about following the lead of the amazon Kindle and hitting the iPad dominance with a capable low cost tablet. Android was already on Tablets so it wasn't really about showcasing that or taking the Tablet version of Android to a new level. The Nexus 4 was a shot at breaking the carrier model by selling an unlocked $299 carrier agnostic phone (at least on the GSM carriers) that was a solid device. Seriously what about the Nexus 4 pushed the envelop? Screen technology? Battery Technology? Form Factor? It didn't even support the latest network technology in LTE. Which I think ultimately was a huge F U to VZW for how it handled the Galaxy Nexus. Beside you couldn't put it on VZW's LTE network w/o their control.

So honestly if HTC, Samsung, and Moto will sell "Nexus Editions" of their hero devices that is awesome. I would love to see the GS4 or the One come with 95% AOSP but have the better Camera App or some of the other innovations (Zoe or Dual Screen) built in. Have those apps as sepereate add ons. So when you get an AOSP update you can take it, but then you may have to wait for those features to be updated if you love them. Get away from skinning android and rather release some innovative capabilities to show what you can do on top of Android, now that AOSP does not as much help since ICS in the UI department.

It's nice. And there's a small demand for it as evidenced on sites like this. But then they get scared with the price.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums