My hope for button layout

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Is that they adhere to Google's standard button layout instead of taking HTC and Samsung's approach to it. While some may view this as petty, the buttons are the most repeatedly used thing on your phone because they're what you use to navigate around the UI every day, and the aforementioned 2 phones have made a layout that I disliked enough to not be interested in either. I'm hoping the X will utilize the back-home-multitasking 3 button layout. I could care less whether they're capacative or onscreen as long as they use this layout (and no physical buttons). I'm also hoping that Google Now launches with an up-swipe. No long-presses or double taps for that or anything else.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
thats what i like about my N4. if implemented across devices, Android experience will be so much consistent.

I am really confident that moto X will follow this since there are lot of Google influence recently.

Moto removed most bloatware from their phones via JB update and replaced it with Google service.

moto is almost pure android(except bloats) so it wont take them a lot of changes to use the default navigation

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I can't see them not doing what they did with the Razr HD. It used software buttons (albeit changing the graphics slightly) in the same configuration.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been using (not entirely by choice) an Atrix HD for some time now, ever since my HTC One X's screen broke (it was free from a co-worker who bought it and didn't like it).

I've grown to like the way it does the buttons, even if they do take screen real estate when there. They get out of the way when needed, and being entirely on screen means you can do some things with them such as throw in a menu button with them if needed instead of on its own bar. In theory you ought to be able to "skin" the buttons but I've seen them staying the same throughout.

Honestly if it weren't for the three main flaws of the phone... the camera, the battery and the cheap-feeling materials.. I would probably still be quite happy with it. As near as I can tell when Moto updated the atrix hd to JB it improved considerably... though the screen is still inferior to say the One X in was that are hard to define, though it simply is.

I have gotten used to moto's nearly pure android though which is enough to make me very interested in what they will do here.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Three buttons is definitely the way to go. I did like the onscreen buttons of my Gnex, although it took a little getting used to, but I feel like if the phone is going to have a substantial bottom bezel might as well make it useful and put the buttons there..

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The main benefit to onscreen buttons is that they can be changed, resized, moved, removed, hidden, toggled, replaced, etc. It's more options to users.
The main drawback is that they take up some pixels.

Personally I think that compromise is worth it, but I can see how people would disagree. I don't really understand why the top and bottom bezels need to be so large and could easily see a 5" screen fitting on the Nexus 4 form factor. My hope is that Moto sees the same opportunity on the Moto X.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I also hope for the three button layout. I prefer on screen buttons with less bottom bezel. If they make the notification light the same that's on the Razr HD then that will be a win in my book. Make the software as close to stock android would be another winner. But that button layout would be perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca