X phone news is monumental... and no coverage?

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I read this morning the Motorola announcement that the x phone is not only real, but to be assembled in the USA.

Call me crazy, but this matters way more than any news that's been posted on A/C so far...

With the state of US production, manufacturing, education, math and science environment, and economy... this is HUGE news.

Not so much that the actual monetary sales or personnel numbers will matter that much... but the example it sets could be enormous. Tax policy, public perception of American products, changes in supply line paradigms; all of these things matter.

On top of that, China makes HUGE gains due to our tech obsession (guilty), a country that is way, way more weird and dubious than most people know (or want to accept).

Chinese companies don't know how to innovate. The whole society functions on copying and streamlining others (it's a cultural/educational thing)... and now you see the results with companies like Huawei and Oppo and Foxconn taking the designs of others and circumvention a decade of research to eat up market share.

The fact that this news gets so little consideration from A/C just goes to show how numb we've become to the problem, and it is sad.

Posted via Android Central App

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
couldnt agree more. Its time for china, and south korea to buy from us. It time to make a change in this country and its a beautiful sight to see a company not affraid to do it here at the cost of paying workers more money. This alone makes me want to buy one

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that Flextronics will be doing the manufacturing for Motorola right? That company is based in Taiwan with ties all around the globe. http://www.flextronics.com/global_locations/Default.aspx
Don't get me wrong, they will be creating jobs on US soil but to say that China doesn't innovate is pushing it just a bit. I agree they do copy too much and all the parts will still be coming from Asia but I share the posters hopes that this will help shift some manufacturing back here.

Sent using Tapatalk 4 on the amazing RAZR MaxxHD.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
They said 2000 of my Homies in Fort Worth, Texas will make this phone. Do I need one? Nope. Will I buy it to support my State and Country? Hell yes! Take that to the bank!
Nice work Google and Moto!

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that Flextronics will be doing the manufacturing for Motorola right? That company is based in Taiwan with ties all around the globe. http://www.flextronics.com/global_locations/Default.aspx
Don't get me wrong, they will be creating jobs on US soil but to say that China doesn't innovate is pushing it just a bit. I agree they do copy too much and all the parts will still be coming from Asia but I share the posters hopes that this will help shift some manufacturing back here.

Sent using Tapatalk 4 on the amazing RAZR MaxxHD.

China... doesn't... innovate.

I worked with Chinese companies. I know a lot of Chinese immigrants. They don't think the same. In some ways it is good, because they are basically learning machines, and they do a great job of streamlining and making things work with the materials at hand.

But they do not innovate. They don't know how to think from new angles. Samsung had to bring in westerners to teach their people how to think of ways to solve problems (I'll find the article, it's good). And the Koreans are still way ahead of the Chinese.

They stole an airplane design from the 1970s from us, and still can't make it fly because there are only 5 companies worldwide that can make the engines to fly it, and they haven't been able to steal the designs yet.

But give them the designs... like Apple and Samsung and everyone else... and you get devices like the Oppo, which are quite stunning.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
China... doesn't... innovate.

I worked with Chinese companies. I know a lot of Chinese immigrants. They don't think the same. In some ways it is good, because they are basically learning machines, and they do a great job of streamlining and making things work with the materials at hand.

But they do not innovate. They don't know how to think from new angles. Samsung had to bring in westerners to teach their people how to think of ways to solve problems (I'll find the article, it's good). And the Koreans are still way ahead of the Chinese.

They stole an airplane design from the 1970s from us, and still can't make it fly because there are only 5 companies worldwide that can make the engines to fly it, and they haven't been able to steal the designs yet.

But give them the designs... like Apple and Samsung and everyone else... and you get devices like the Oppo, which are quite stunning.

THEM GAWD DAM CHINESE. ER'BODY KNOWS THEM CHINESE ARE LIKE THAT. CAIN'T TRUST THEM NONE.

Dude. Xenophobia is treatable. See a therapist.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
THEM GAWD DAM CHINESE. ER'BODY KNOWS THEM CHINESE ARE LIKE THAT. CAIN'T TRUST THEM NONE.

Dude. Xenophobia is treatable. See a therapist.

I'm not xenophobic. And I've not said anything redneck or crazy... and I've never once used the phrase "they took er jerbs!"

I did go a little far in expressing uncomfortable things, and I appreciate you pointing it out. This isn't the place for that discussion. And you are a moderator... so you win by default.

Don't underestimate the importance of this announcement in your coverage. I may be wearing a tin foil hat... but you should be rooting for Motorola and Apple's efforts to show that building electronics in the US is feasible.

(I won't fill the page with links to support my assertions, for the sake of closing this part of the discussion).

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I will within the next couple years be buying a Tesla. This is American innovation at its finest.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I will within the next couple years be buying a Tesla. This is American innovation at its finest.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

My girlfriend wants a Tesla so bad... it's almost as bad as my tech obsession!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
And you are a moderator... so you win by default.

Don't underestimate the importance of this announcement in your coverage. I may be wearing a tin foil hat... but you should be rooting for Motorola and Apple's efforts to show that building electronics in the US is feasible.

(I won't fill the page with links to support my assertions, for the sake of closing this part of the discussion).

The bolded part is absolutely false :) I'm not that kind of moderator.

So convince me about the second part. I have personal (yes, anecdotes -- we all have them) experience that tells me otherwise. Feel free link the hell out of me.

I'm not above learning something new every day :)

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
The bolded part is absolutely false :) I'm not that kind of moderator.

So convince me about the second part. I have personal (yes, anecdotes -- we all have them) experience that tells me otherwise. Feel free link the hell out of me.

I'm not above learning something new every day :)

That's why your my favorite contributor to the site... I'd be happy to, but I'll start a thread in another category or carry it on via private messages, since this is a place to talk about our hobby, not world issues.

I'm also really supposed to be doing something else right now! I'll post a few food for thought things though.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I find this interesting because one of my friends is Korean and I've had conversations about this with him before and he happens to agree with much of what jrsharp70 has said.
I think in certain industries jrsharp70 does have a very strong point. I don't think it's fair to call him xenophobic because there is very clear evidence right before your eyes that some nations have a cultural mindset when it comes to business of taking existing western products and mimicking them rather than pumping out their own. Looking over at Korea instead of China you can see the obvious copying that Samsung committed in the smartphone sector in earlier years. However nobody is going to argue that Samsung TV's are ripoffs. The automotive industry has had a LOT of copying committed over there, except this time it was Japanese automakers Honda and Toyota being copied from by the likes of Hyundai. If you take a look at the video game sector, ask any MMO gamers around here about that. The number of World of Warcraft clones that have come out of that area is like an endless river.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I find this interesting because one of my friends is Korean and I've had conversations about this with him before and he happens to agree with much of what jrsharp70 has said.
I think in certain industries jrsharp70 does have a very strong point. I don't think it's fair to call him xenophobic because there is very clear evidence right before your eyes that some nations have a cultural mindset when it comes to business of taking existing western products and mimicking them rather than pumping out their own. Looking over at Korea instead of China you can see the obvious copying that Samsung committed in the smartphone sector in earlier years. However nobody is going to argue that Samsung TV's are ripoffs. The automotive industry has had a LOT of copying committed over there, except this time it was Japanese automakers Honda and Toyota being copied from by the likes of Hyundai. If you take a look at the video game sector, ask any MMO gamers around here about that. The number of World of Warcraft clones that have come out of that area is like an endless river.

What you are talking about is copyright, or intellectual property "IP", which is due to the Chinese' different concept of "idea ownership".

In general, my point is that growing up, they are taught heavily on facts and process. That is to say that their knowledge base is greater, as is their math and science knowledge. That is to say that, if they read a story about "Jack and Jill", they can tell you the entire story from memory, but if you asked them why it might be that Jill followed Jack down the hill, or what might happen if Jill had fallen down first, they would have a hard time coming up with possible answers.

That's a pretty simplistic and broad example, but it applies. They get a piece of technology, and they watch someone else build it, and they build a perfect replica...maybe even slightly better. But if you told them that now it needs to be smaller and flexible... without someone to show them the tech necessary to make that happen, they don't really know how to branch out their thinking process.

But make no mistake... this is a cultural thing, and soon it won't be like this. Once they have an infrastructure and laws that protect new ideas (which they are implementing as we speak), they will jump ahead on innovation too. And the US will be left even further behind.

Oh yeah, and as a whole, the citizenry manage money extremely well. Another reason that they are destined to become the dominant world financial power.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I asked the question after the Nexus Q was announced. Glad to see Motorola and Google stepping up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP. Made in the U.S.A just does not matter to most people anymore. Look at the underside of most anything you buy - Made in China.

And no wonder we buy Korean and Japanese cars now - the American cars were aweful in the 80's. Some people have just moved on.......

But in reality, I think the reason that it is not getting that much coverage, is because there is not that much information yet.