If this phone doesn't have any flashy features will you still get this instead of HTC/Samsung?

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Let's pretend this phone has specs that are basically equal to the One and S4, but is pretty close to stock for the UI, a roughly equal camera performance and is built as nicely as Moto usually builds their phones, BUT doesn't have flashy features like Blinkfeed, Beats, or the various S4 features like eye scrolling air gestures etc, would you still buy it over the other 2? If yes, why?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Let's pretend this phone has specs that are basically equal to the One and S4, but is pretty close to stock for the UI, a roughly equal camera performance and is built as nicely as Moto usually builds their phones, BUT doesn't have flashy features like Blinkfeed, Beats, or the various S4 features like eye scrolling air gestures etc, would you still buy it over the other 2? If yes, why?

I may give it an honest shot. I am a Samsung fan, but I think the features are getting a little excessive. For how heavy the OS is on the S4, I would love to not have those. Hopefully the Google Edition will be better with memory use.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely. On Verizon this sounds like the closest thing to a nexus that one can get since the Galaxy nexus in 2011. Why would we assume equal though? The RAZR maxx hd was better in most areas than the gs3, as expected being released six months later. I'd expect it to be most comparable to other q3/q4 devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Stock is flashy (may keep me from flashing cm I hope) let's also assume they follow the maxx battery. Absolutely.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Stock is flashy (may keep me from flashing cm I hope) let's also assume they follow the maxx battery. Absolutely.

Stock is flashy to forum members. Regular folks would probably be looking for the features that the OP mentions.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Stock is flashy to forum members. Regular folks would probably be looking for the features that the OP mentions.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

The question was a personal one and stock is flashy to me. If I was recommending for an average user who wanted to buy a current phone I would say the S4.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Im a big motorola fan.. I loved my maxx. I have a samsung note2 now that i also love. But if motorola made a maxx type phone w quad core and hd screen id be all over it.. for argument sake.. I dont use the smart stay or multi window on my note 2.. I do use the s pen. It took yhe note2 to get me to go to samsung.. but I would go to a maxx battery motorola if it was good enough. .

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

All those "features" are gimmicky. How often do you think you'd use any of those S4 features? I know if I got an S4 I'd use none of them because I would be on AOKP, not Touch Wiz.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
All things being equal I most definitely would opt for the Moto X over GS4 and HTC One. I could care less about all those Jedi features and I would have chosen Google Editions over the OEM counterparts anyway. I would simply do it for the mere fact that it is being built in Texas and it'd be kind of nice to support US manufacturing for a change.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
This thing will absolutely have to bomb for me not to get it in March when my upgrade is in. I'm glad I get that extra time to see what the general perception of the device is. I am a huge fan of Moto phones and now that Google owns them, it can't mean bad things.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Personally I prefer my phones not to have any flashy software features. I prefer awesome hardware and aosp. All of these flashy software mods slow down the processor and hog up ram.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
This thing will absolutely have to bomb for me not to get it in March when my upgrade is in. I'm glad I get that extra time to see what the general perception of the device is. I am a huge fan of Moto phones and now that Google owns them, it can't mean bad things.

My biggest concern is that Google is allowing the same Motorola administration to continue business as it always has. You can glean from that I wasn't happy with their past customer service and support for other regions besides the US

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I don't need features. I use my phone fairly basic.....I want a fast phone that is built well, feels good in the hand, fits in my pocket, and has a good enough camera. I have apps and launchers to get rid of things I don't like about a phone.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
My biggest concern is that Google is allowing the same Motorola administration to continue business as it always has. You can glean from that I wasn't happy with their past customer service and support for other regions besides the US

Unfortunately, I cannot understand your sentiment. To tell you the truth, the two Moto smartphones I've owned (OG Droid and OG DRoid RAZR), I've never even needed Moto customer support. The phones have been that good to me. I don't know if it's luck or if they're solid but I live by the philosophy, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" which causes me to be very brand loyal haha.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Actually, I hope they go with the razr maxx hd battery.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
If the X is stock android, with updates straight from Google, Moto build quality, Moto voice radio quality and a Maxx battery, this will be my next phone. And I hope it has a radio that will run on VZ's network, because if not I'll go to whatever carrier has it. Are you listening VZ? No, of course they're not, they never do.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If the X is stock android, with updates straight from Google, Moto build quality, Moto voice radio quality and a Maxx battery, this will be my next phone. And I hope it has a radio that will run on VZ's network, because if not I'll go to whatever carrier has it. Are you listening VZ? No, of course they're not, they never do.

Do they need to listen? People still sign up for their service.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan