07-06-2013 06:40 PM
107 12345
tools
    If it's going to all carriers, including Verizon and Sprint, it's going to be one of those "on-contact" phones.

Seriously. Expectations folks?
    Our minds are allowed to wander.

There has been rumors it will be an off contract phone. How could you customize an on contract phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-03-2013 05:05 PM
    Our minds are allowed to wander.

There has been rumors it will be an off contract phone. How could you customize an on contract phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Google/Motorola will probably set up a website where you can do just that.

*Note: you can currently buy a phone from Motorola's website with a contract.
    07-03-2013 05:10 PM
    If it's going to all carriers, including Verizon and Sprint, it's going to be one of those "on-contact" phones.

Seriously. Expectations folks?
    What recent high-end phone has not been available unlocked? Especially one made by Google?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    07-03-2013 05:36 PM
    The ultimate excitement killer would be it's announced as an 'on contract' phone and not like the Nexus 4 where you just go to Google Play and buy.
    BTW, we already have model numbers that may correspond to carrier variants of the MOTO X.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...la-xt1056.html
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...la-xt1058.html
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...la-xt1060.html

Who says there won't be an off-contract variant though? Getting this out on all channels is better than Google Play (+ one, fourth place, carrier).
    Aquila likes this.
    07-03-2013 05:58 PM
    What's the difference between customization and just having different phones? Look how many "custom" versions you can get of the Galaxy S4. Different processors, screens, sizes, cameras, build materials. Is that what people are expecting of Motorola?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-03-2013 06:10 PM
    What's the difference between customization and just having different phones? Look how many "custom" versions you can get of the Galaxy S4. Different processors, screens, sizes, cameras, build materials. Is that what people are expecting of Motorola?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    People are expecting to be able to go to a MOTO X store (online), pick their screen size, pick how much RAM, pick which processor, pick how large of a battery, pick which camera - like building a PC.

Unlike the S4 versions (i.e. I can't get the same processor in the Galaxy S4 put into the Galaxy S4 Mini or S4 Zoom).
    07-03-2013 06:13 PM
    I was looking at that and trying to figure out what her body shape meant. Now that you say this, I could see it. We have X1 now, X2 later, X3 afterwards and so on..... Good call.
    Just like the Galaxy S, S2, S3, and S4. It seems to work for Samsung. Its catchy and easy to remember.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-03-2013 06:18 PM
    Just like the Galaxy S, S2, S3, and S4. It seems to work for Samsung. Its catchy and easy to remember.

I've always wondered... what happens when the 8th gen Note is released?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    07-03-2013 06:22 PM
    I've always wondered... what happens when the 8th gen Note is released?

Same thing that happens after the Nexus 6

Seriously though, it'll be the Galaxy Note 8.0 III and Galaxy Note VIII.
    07-03-2013 06:24 PM

I can't wait for the HTC One 2.
    Aquila and dcunited08 like this.
    07-03-2013 06:26 PM
    Perhaps I'm a little bit uninformed or oblivious to something in the ad, but what of the ad and Motorola's press release has given a lot of people the indication that the Moto X will be 'customizable' from a hardware standpoint? To me, when I read the ad, I interpreted it as coming from a software standpoint.

Of course Android is already highly customizable, but I still do not feel like it is easy enough for the average consumer to do without doing a bit of digging for information. I figured that the whole 'designed by you' message meant a very easy and simple way to customize the software on your phone entirely - from color schemes to where things are placed to how you interact with things - without downloading six apps from the Play Store or having to root your device.

I feel like, in many respects, customizable hardware will indeed attract a lot of consumers - but won't be appealing to the consumers Google and Android have yet to fully capitalize on: first and second time smartphone buyers. Many of them are already on Android but need to be convinced not to make the jump elsewhere. On top of that, others went to IOS or lesser known platforms and have been hearing a lot about Android and want to try it out. What outside of different colors would really be all that appealing to the consumer? Yes, a potentially lower price point - but few consumers are versed in the nuances of RAM, PPI, etc. I feel like most of them will merely ask a store representative for tips, who will then direct them to the very specs that high-end phones like the S4 and One have.

Again, perhaps I've been a little bit uninformed or oblivious to something here, but I'm a little bit skeptical that the hardware will be all that customizable - I feel like Motorola was more so referencing the software. I do believe it will be a hybrid situation where common elements of the hardware are customizable via different colors or batteries (at the same time, coming with easily customizable software), but I don't think it will be as advanced with regards to hardware customization as some have suggested.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-03-2013 07:06 PM
    Perhaps I'm a little bit uninformed or oblivious to something in the ad, but what of the ad and Motorola's press release has given a lot of people the indication that the Moto X will be 'customizable' from a hardware standpoint? To me, when I read the ad, I interpreted it as coming from a software standpoint.

Of course Android is already highly customizable, but I still do not feel like it is easy enough for the average consumer to do without doing a bit of digging for information. I figured that the whole 'designed by you' message meant a very easy and simple way to customize the software on your phone entirely - from color schemes to where things are placed to how you interact with things - without downloading six apps from the Play Store or having to root your device.

I feel like, in many respects, customizable hardware will indeed attract a lot of consumers - but won't be appealing to the consumers Google and Android have yet to fully capitalize on: first and second time smartphone buyers. Many of them are already on Android but need to be convinced not to make the jump elsewhere. On top of that, others went to IOS or lesser known platforms and have been hearing a lot about Android and want to try it out. What outside of different colors would really be all that appealing to the consumer? Yes, a potentially lower price point - but few consumers are versed in the nuances of RAM, PPI, etc. I feel like most of them will merely ask a store representative for tips, who will then direct them to the very specs that high-end phones like the S4 and One have.

Again, perhaps I've been a little bit uninformed or oblivious to something here, but I'm a little bit skeptical that the hardware will be all that customizable - I feel like Motorola was more so referencing the software. I do believe it will be a hybrid situation where common elements of the hardware are customizable via different colors or batteries (at the same time, coming with easily customizable software), but I don't think it will be as advanced with regards to hardware customization as some have suggested.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
    My guess an irresponsible blogger caught wind of the word customize on an important person's Google+ post and made an assumption of hardware being the customizable part.

Then Android fanboys ran with it.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-03-2013 07:10 PM
    My guess an irresponsible blogger caught wind of the word customize on an important person's Google+ post and made an assumption of hardware being the customizable part.

Then Android fanboys ran with it.

My guess is Guy Kawasaki's obviously hinting YT video.

But I guess some people don't believe Google when they talk about themselves.

07-03-2013 07:32 PM
    I really hope there's more to this phone than what's been leaked. The phone sounds extremely underwhelming.

Everything that's leaked points to a mid-range phone at best. Not a competitor to the iPhone 5S/iPhone 6 and the Galaxy S4 that the Moto CEO had mentioned.
    07-03-2013 07:50 PM
    I really hope there's more to this phone than what's been leaked. The phone sounds extremely underwhelming.

Everything that's leaked points to a mid-range phone at best. Not a competitor to the iPhone 5S/iPhone 6 and the Galaxy S4 that the Moto CEO had mentioned.
    What's the iPhone 5S? Did I miss the iPhone 6 announcement?

07-03-2013 07:52 PM
    What's the iPhone 5S? Did I miss the iPhone 6 announcement?
    No it hasn't been announced, but there will be a new iPhone this year, and not knowing what it will be called, I just named it the iPhone 5S/6.

This Moto X phone is supposed to compete with Apple's new iPhone 5S/6 and the Galaxy S4, but all we've seen is a mid-range device with some crummy customisation options.
    07-03-2013 08:17 PM
    I think people would be happy with external customization without internal customization of it had flagship internals. If it was a customizable HTC One or S4 equivalent then that is fine internals. Just that these specifications are middling.

07-03-2013 09:20 PM
    No it hasn't been announced, but there will be a new iPhone this year, and not knowing what it will be called, I just named it the iPhone 5S/6.

This Moto X phone is supposed to compete with Apple's new iPhone 5S/6 and the Galaxy S4, but all we've seen is a mid-range device with some crummy customisation options.
    The next iPhone isn't a competitor yet.

And the specs for iPhones aren't really comparable as they run radically different operating systems.

For example, compare the iPhone 5's battery mAh to the S4's battery. S4 wins the spec, but the spec isn't entirely comparable.

07-03-2013 09:51 PM
    The next iPhone isn't a competitor yet.

And the specs for iPhones aren't really comparable as they run radically different operating systems.

For example, compare the iPhone 5's battery mAh to the S4's battery. S4 wins the spec, but the spec isn't entirely comparable.

That has less to do with the OS than it has to do with the screen size. A 5" 1080p iPhone with a 1440 mAh battery would have terrible battery life.

dcunited08 likes this.
    07-03-2013 10:00 PM
    Guy Kawasaki
    Shared publicly - Mar 19, 2013
    Wouldn't it be great if you could personalize your phone like this?
    Re-watching this video.

While it makes mention of Porsche's history of performance upgrades, most of the items shown off were cosmetic.

07-03-2013 10:15 PM
    The Nexus line is not necessary if Motorola makes "stock" Android devices exclusively.
    Motorola phones running stock android would not be end of the Nexus line only if Motorola allowed developers to code same as on Nexus device. Nexus devices are stock android devices open for the developers to explore. A device running stock android does not turn in to a Nexus device. The device must follow other criteria to be Nexus device that is more than just running stock android.
    I
    return_0 likes this.
    07-03-2013 10:27 PM
    Motorola phones running stock android would not be end of the Nexus line only if Motorola allowed developers to code same as on Nexus device. Nexus devices are stock android devices open for the developers to explore. A device running stock android does not turn in to a Nexus device. The device must follow other criteria to be Nexus device that is more than just running stock android.
    I
    Please clarify which developers you are referring to.

The ones making apps for the platform are more relevant than the developers making ROMs for devices.

07-03-2013 10:38 PM
    Please clarify which developers you are referring to.

The ones making apps for the platform are more relevant than the developers making ROMs for devices.

Does it make differences in what I am saying? I can see my point needs clarification. I am simply trying to stating a Nexus device is able to be used as a tool to develop software for android. In actuality that is one Google primary purposes for the Nexus line is for the to developers to develop and push android. Now if you have a stock motorola device running android that does not allow you to develop software for then there is still a need for the Nexus line.
    07-03-2013 11:15 PM
    Does it make differences in what I am saying? I can see my point needs clarification. I am simply trying to stating a Nexus device is able to be used as a tool to develop software for android. In actuality that is one Google primary purposes for the Nexus line is for the to developers to develop and push android. Now if you have a stock motorola device running android that does not allow you to develop software for then there is still a need for the Nexus line.
    With one checkbox, I can proceed to install any APK on my DROID Bionic. If I've developed it correctly and the install is successful, I can now test on Android 4.1.2.

Now I can grab a Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play edition. Check that same box. Install my APK. Now that I can test my app against an Android 4.2.2 environment.

Same with an HTC One Google Play edition.

There will be even more devices out there for Android application developers if Motorola launches the MOTO X running the most current Android base. And the X phone should have wider distribution than the Nexus 4.

As an app developer, there is less of a need for a Nexus line.

07-04-2013 12:31 AM
    Re-watching this video.

While it makes mention of Porsche's history of performance upgrades, most of the items shown off were cosmetic.

Yes at about 1:50 it mentions that program started with performance upgrades. From this page looks like they still do:
    New Porsche Exclusive Program
    But perhaps its taking the analogy too far. But the with Porsche Exclusive you can start with different cars such as a 911, Cayman, Panamera so I hope that is what the Moto X is a line of phones that can be customized. Like the Razr has the M, and the Maxx. I wish the Moto X is a line of phones consisting of a middling 4.3", a flagship 4.9" and an Note 3 competitor 5.7" all with exterior customization.
    07-04-2013 12:49 AM
107 12345