Motorola shows off first ad for Moto X Phone, teases a phone ?designed by you?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Elaborate on this "one check box" because I don't understand what you mean?

Cause what your saying seem app developers can take any android device and develop apps on?

If yes then the nexus line is already not needed but why do still seem to be pinicale device for android developers?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

One check box allows me to install an app from outside of Google Play.

The Nexus devices were always on the latest version of Android. With Google Play edition phones, it's likely the Nexus line won't be alone in getting updated quickly. And if Google forces Motorola (a Google company) to not modify Android the way they used to (MOTOBLUR) and use the latest version of Android, the Nexus become less relevant to application developers.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
True, but it's all about product differentiation. If the OS looked the same across all devices, it'd be harder for manufacturers to make their phones "stand out" from their competitors to the average consumer. Samsung wants you to see a phone and know it's a Samsung phone, HTC wants you to see a phone and know it's an HTC phone, etc. Otherwise, at first glance, every phone would just look like a generic Android phone. Yanno?

Thank you.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It's got to be a conspiracy. The one decent Nexus had a terrible radio that never got much better. Since then 3G Nexus? Are you kidding me? Nexus lovers are the type who need state of the art hardware!
Well, the hardware was garbage (made by Samsung, of course), but the software was buttery smooth.

Manufacturers always screw crap up. Samsung's stutter like crazy, that RAZR HD you got has quite a bit of lag/stutter due to a Motorola power saving script, but at least looks like stock Android. HTCs skin actually works pretty well on the HTC One.

I still plan on getting either the HTC One and loading a GE ROM port or a Moto X or 2013 RAZR, but I have a feeling the Motos will be crappy AMOLED.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
One check box allows me to install an app from outside of Google Play.

The Nexus devices were always on the latest version of Android. With Google Play edition phones, it's likely the Nexus line won't be alone in getting updated quickly. And if Google forces Motorola (a Google company) to not modify Android the way they used to (MOTOBLUR) and use the latest version of Android, the Nexus become less relevant to application developers.

I though there more to developing on android then just apps?

Nexus devices for developers are used to build apps. The nexus devices come with latest unlock stock android giving developers a blueprint build on next gen software. This gives Nexus that appeal to have.

Now if I understand if Motorola pushes out stock android even if locked that one check box will allow access exactly like a Nexus device. Thus would deminish the purpose of having the Nexus Device.

I understand and agree with your point but it hinges on "the one check" access. If these motorola devices did not allow any access of any kind to develop on couldn't both the X phone and Nexus devices co exist?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I though there more to developing on android then just apps?

Nexus devices for developers are used to build apps. The nexus devices come with latest unlock stock android giving developers a blueprint build on next gen software. This gives Nexus that appeal to have.

Now if I understand if Motorola pushes out stock android even if locked that one check box will allow access exactly like a Nexus device. Thus would deminish the purpose of having the Nexus Device.

I understand and agree with your point but it hinges on "the one check" access. If these motorola devices did not allow any access of any kind to develop on couldn't both the X phone and Nexus devices co exist?

Oh wait. Developers still to check a box to (sideload) install and test their apps on a Nexus device. :)

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Oh wait. Developers still to check a box to (sideload) install and test their apps on a Nexus device. :)

OK...?

Did your last post answer my question? If so please explain?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Did your last post answer my question? If so please explain?

This goes back to app developers vs. ROM developers. The Nexus gives app developers access to the latest version of Android to develop and test against. With the Google Play edition phones plus Motorola going strictly "stock" Android, there's less of a dependency on the Nexus line.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Well as I see if the Motorola devices are locked the Nexus line will be ok.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Locked meaning blocking any access to develop ROM,app, etc.

Boom. And there you go. :)

ROM development IMO is not relevant to the masses.

For the most part, no one is blocked from developing an app. ROMs are another story.

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Boom. And there you go. :)

ROM development IMO is not relevant to the masses.

For the most part, no one is clocked from developing an app. ROMs are another story.

Are you arguing that you can't restrict the use of developing apps on android devices thus having moto with lastest stock android would destroy the purpose of Nexus?

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
No, that if the Moto X came with stock android and an unlockable bootloader and was ripe for ROM dependent then the a Nexus phone wouldn't be necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
After stupid motorola burned me by not updating my Photon 4G, I don't give a rat's behind about them!
The people at motorola who made that stupid decision should go to hell for all I care! :mad:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you arguing that you can't restrict the use of developing apps on android devices thus having moto with lastest stock android would destroy the purpose of Nexus?

Destroy? If you want to make it that dramatic, sure. Again, the purpose of the Nexus for application developers is to be able to develop and test against the latest version of Android. The combination of the Google Play edition phones combine with the possibility that Google forces Motorola to ship "stock" only (these Motorola phones would have a much wider release than the Nexus phones) would make the Nexus less relevant and probably redundant.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Destroy? If you want to make it that dramatic, sure. Again, the purpose of the Nexus for application developers is to be able to develop and test against the latest version of Android. The combination of the Google Play edition phones combine with the possibility that Google forces Motorola to ship "stock" only (these Motorola phones would have a much wider release than the Nexus phones) would make the Nexus less relevant and probably redundant.

Lol you missed the question entirely.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
(Are YOU ARGUING that you CAN'T RESTRICTED the use of DEVELOPING APPS on android devices thus having moto with lastest stock android would lessen the need fo Nexus device?

@RY
Ignore the destroy part in my post

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol you missed the question entirely.

Remember, I'm only concerned with Android application development. Not ROM development.

For application developers, having access to a Nexus phone means they can develop and test their application on the latest version of Android. If Google forces Motorola to ship "stock" Android on all new Motorola phones (and keeps them up to date, implied because Motorola is a Google company now), there is less of a need to rely on a Nexus phone to get access to the latest version of Android.

Yes. Please read it over again. If Motorola ships stock Android and keeps it up to date, there is less of a need to have a Nexus line of phones. Android's latest (and greatest) would be shown off on Motorola devices instead of Nexus devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar