Moto X Specs

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like they omitted the wireless charging portion for the Ultra to keep it thin more than anything else.

Let's also remember that wireless charging is an easy omission for a manufacturer to make because it isn't a big deal at all for most people. It's just another reason to spend more money. I mean, really: "Hmm, spend more money on another device so I can charge my phone by setting it down on a specific pad or spend no money and just plug in my phone?" I'd be surprised if the majority of smartphone owners people even knew wireless charging existed.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Let's also remember that wireless charging is an easy omission for a manufacturer to make because it isn't a big deal at all for most people. It's just another reason to spend more money. I mean, really: "Hmm, spend more money on another device so I can charge my phone by setting it down on a specific pad or spend no money and just plug in my phone?" I'd be surprised if the majority of smartphone owners people even knew wireless charging existed.

I agree with that. I sell them, and while I personally only want to use wireless chargers, most people would rather keep their money and stick to the older charging method, no matter how much more convenient it is. And yes, the majority has no idea the technology even exists.

Seriously though, remember the car dock for the Nexus One with the pogo pins on the side? Wireless charging with Bluetooth and NFC would mean you would only need to set your phone in its dock, plug nothing into it, and it would change to your in-vehicle settings, start playing music over your car stereo, and charge all in one shot.

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
That's not to say that Moto can't add a backplate that supports wireless charging, ala the touchstone plates for the original Palm Pre. I personally don't want to drop the cash for it, though, so it's not a huge deal for me.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Lest that's one of the options you can include when choosing your color, I don't think that would be an option since all of the new Droids and the Moto X have a non-removable battery and backplate.

drhill

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Wireless qi charging is better than the n1's pogo pins because you can have universal chargers. Never buy new house/car stuff... As long as the phone supports it.

I never turn Bluetooth off so I can use tasker if I want to launch things when Bluetooth connects.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Seeing as a lot of the specs and features in Moto's new Droids are the same as the Moto X we might be able to infer a few things about it. First is that the Moto X might last 28 hours (at least on CDMA). What usage factors into that metric is dependent on statistics we don't know. Second is the Moto X isn't "only" dual core. There are 4 GPU cores, a core dedicated to keeping senors ticking and aware, and language core that should always be listening and help process other voice commands.

28 hours 2G or 3G?

I'm thinking that if Motorola can afford to drop the battery to 2130mAh in the Ultra (down from 2530mAh in the RAZR HD), and the Moto X is supposed to be somewhere between 2200 and 2300mAh, the battery life will do just fine. It won't be 3+ day life like on the RAZR MAXX HD or the new MAXX, but it should easily withstand a full day of heavy abuse (hopefully).

As for wireless charging, that's a nail-biter right now. Hardware-wise, the Mini is really close in configuration to the Moto X, and supports it. The FCC documents do not make mention of wireless charging for the Moto X nor the Ultra though. I hope they're not required to report inductive charging in FCC reports and that we will still see it make an appearance in the Moto X, or at the very least, have it available as a customization option.
God I hope it does last a full days of abuse because listen to music and love for once not have to worry about my battery for a day.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
28 hours 2G or 3G?
God I hope it does last a full days of abuse because listen to music and love for once not have to worry about my battery for a day.

I think we'll be okay. I said it somewhere else before, but the magic in the last round of RAZR's wasn't the battery, but in how it slept like a baby in standby. When I owned the MAXX HD, it would draw a horizontal line on the battery stats page when it wasn't being used. It sounds like with the offloading of other features to other cores at a very low clock speed, they can replicate this and further it to new applications to pull even more performance out of a smaller battery. That, and having a larger battery in the Moto X than they put in the Droid Ultra indicates that they're confident that it will be more than enough.

All educated speculation, but at the end of the day, I'm not concerned the battery life will suck. Motorola is the only brand I trust with batteries.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Battery Life will make or break the Moto X or Nexus 5 for me. Phablets are too big for me but I am envious of the battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

That girl he is calling does not look like her last name is really Lewis.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Actually, in regards to an i7, no, I wouldn't take one. My 4 year old Acer laptop has an old i5 M430 coupled with 8GB's of RAM , a 256GB Samsung 470 Series SSD and some huge, brandless Korean battery I've had hanging off the bottom for the past 3 years. It makes for a GREAT typing angle since it tilts the keyboard 10-15*. It boots in 15 seconds, opens Facebook and Excel files like a boss and lasts around 7 hours. No i7 needed. I don't need the processing speed. I don't want the loss in battery life and the increase in heat for all that extra processing that, like I said, I don't need. I play the occasional game on my desktop that I built myself. It's even older than my laptop and takes everything I throw at it. Well, the GPU is relatively new. But the overclocked Wolfdale under the hood certainly isn't. Everything I do is strategic. There's more to selecting hardware than just buying whats at the top of a spec sheet.

The average person doesn't care about a spec sheet. I flash crap all day and tinker around with things all the time and I don't care about spec sheets either. Yes, Samsung tossed a Quad-Core into the S4 to deal with their bloat. Did it work? Is it a smooth experience? No, no it isn't, so what good does all that spec'd out hardware do? What runs smoother? A vomiting, repulse iPhone 5 or an S4? Which has higher specs? Which is more optimized?

Like I've said before, if Motorola built this device well and optimized the thing for Android, then I don't see a need to flash a ROM until CM10.1 is finished for it, and maybe not even then. In the past, the devices I've owned have always "needed" a flash for various reasons like my original, stock Galaxy S being a lag ***** or my GNex needing to be rolled back off of 4.2. Is the GNex just OmGzErZ2oLd2RunKNeWaNdRoID? No, it's due to a lack of optimization. It was a turd of an update. As a result, the S4 is a laggy ******* despite it's quad cores and the One runs like a Ferrari. Spec sheet hardware had little to do with it.

Stopping chasing spec sheets and wait for devices to come out to see how they run. I know it's a novel, new concept guys, but if you're always chasing spec sheets you're always going to be disappointed and you're always going to be waiting for the next greatest thing. There's zero reason to be upset and frustrated over a device that isn't even out yet! Give it a chance. Maybe we'll all be surprised. Maybe we'll all hate it. Either way we won't know until August.

ekimpadd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody know if it has a infrared blaster?

Because i guess you cant find it between sensors, right?

Posted via Android Central App

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody know if it has a infrared blaster?

Because i guess you cant find it between sensors, right?

Posted via Android Central App

Throughout my repeated OCD combings of the FCC documents for this device and all of the leaked information we've heard thus far, I have not seen anything that would indicate is has an IR blaster, nor wireless charging. :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers