Battery size

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I've not seen any talk about how large the battery might be for this device. Does anyone have an idea or if this has been discussed I apologize, didn't see anything.

Personally I hope for a Maxx sized battery.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
2100mah battery to 2700mah battery. The phone is no more thicker than a Nexus 4. I don't see the battery being any larger than a 2700mah because it looks to be a removable battery.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It isn't removable, hence the SIM tray on the side.
The placement of sim tray doesn't signify that the X has removable or non removable battery.

I only say removable battery because the phone being customizable and has a removable back.

In end there isn't a clear cut answer.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
How do you know the back is removable? Just because they might let people customize the phone when they order it doesn't mean that the back will be easily removable.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How do you know the back is removable? Just because they might let people customize the phone when they order it doesn't mean that the back will be easily removable.

And just because the back comes off doesn't mean you can access the battery (without extra work).

Posted via Android Central App

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The placement of sim tray doesn't signify that the X has removable or non removable battery.

I only say removable battery because the phone being customizable and has a removable back.

In end there isn't a clear cut answer.

And just because the back comes off doesn't mean you can access the battery (without extra work).

Posted via Android Central App

True. I was thinking of customization would extend more than just what comes out box but accessories like extended battery or wireless charging back covers as options.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This sounds about right.

Alright so we have a 2200mah battery with dual-core processor and a display less than 4.7 inches running which add up to great battery life. Hopefully Note worthy battery life is what the Moto X can achieve.
If phone delivers the battery life need I can't see me wanting a Nexus phone. I can wait few months to see but I feel just the software updates and flagship processors will be only benefit I see. Unless next Nexus is going deliver on battery life and build smaller device then current Nexus 4 then I will pass.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I got burned with a previous Moto non-removable batteries twice, so this does give me some pause. But we'll see how it all pans out.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Highly unlikely that the battery will be removable. Moto has moved away from that and so has Google (n4) and now that Google owns moto I just don't see it happening. Whether you view it as good or bad removable batteries have become the exception not the rule.

Sent from my homemade Google Edition HTC ONE

niko_orsini

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Highly unlikely that the battery will be removable. Moto has moved away from that and so has Google (n4) and now that Google owns moto I just don't see it happening. Whether you view it as good or bad removable batteries have become the exception not the rule.

Sent from my homemade Google Edition HTC ONE

evleaks said that the battery isn't removable.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
But 2200 on this phone will still not last as long as the RAZR MAXX HD with its 3200 battery right? Or is the phone that much more efficient than the RMHD?

Lanzeelus

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
But 2200 on this phone will still not last as long as the RAZR MAXX HD with its 3200 battery right? Or is the phone that much more efficient than the RMHD?

The RAZR MAXX HD has a 3,300 mAh battery, and yes that is much bigger than this is expected to have, but we have to assume it is going to be FAR more energy efficient than last year's models. The most we can do to appropriately guesstimate (which is an actual word according to Google Chrome's spell check) the battery life on the Moto X is to mathematically determine it based on the rated battery life stats given by Motorola.

The Droid MAXX (2013) has a rated battery life of 48 hours (typical use, which I assume is the basis used for all of their battery stats). That means the 3,500 mAh battery can run the phone for 48 hours. 3,500 / 48 = 72.917 so theoretically, it takes about 73 mAh (rounded to two sig figs) to power the Droid MAXX for an hour.

The Droid Ultra, with similar specs but a smaller battery has a rated battery life of 28 hours. So 2,130 / 28 = 76.071, it theoretically takes about 76 mAh to power the Ultra for an hour. Since the MAXX and the Ultra contain essentially the same specs with only a few, practically negligible differences, it's probably safe to assume that the power consumption should be very similar, so the difference in numbers here are due most likely to Motorola's rough estimations. In an attempt to be fair, we will average these results. 76.071 + 72.917 = 148.988. 148.988 / 2 = 74.494. That SHOULD be 74 due to sig figs, but we'll just make it 74.5 since it's so close, and it gives us a better estimate.

In comparison, last year's Droid RAZR MAXX HD was estimated 32 hours on its 3,300 mAh battery. 3,300 / 32 = 103.125.

The smaller Droid RAZR HD had only a 2,530 mAh battery, and only 24 hours of battery life. 2,530 / 24 = 105.417. 105.417 + 103.125 = 208.542. 208.542 / 2 = 104.271. We'll say 104.

That's not an entirely fair comparison though, since we are talking about two different screen sizes here: 4.7" on the RAZR's, and 5" on the Ultra & MAXX. So we'll divide each figure by its respective screen size to theoretically determine how much charge it takes to power an inch of screen on these devices for an hour.

74.494 / 5 = 14.899
104.271 / 4.7 = 22.185

That means (in theory, of course), that the new phones are about 67% more power efficient than the old phones. Quite an impressive leap. That could be attributed to many things, such as the more power efficient system on a chip and potentially a more advanced AMOLED screen, plus any software black magic tricks Motorola incorporated in these new phones. However, we have no way of telling if these figures are accurate in their real world representations just yet, but when you consider that these phones essentially have an always active screen and always on voice recognition, this is quite incredible.

The Moto X will likely have similar power efficiency to the Droids, depending on how much power the extra sensors in the Moto X end up drawing (such as the dual LTE antennas). It will likely be very close so we can calculate a rough guess of the X's battery life based on our figures.

It takes about 14.899 mAh to power an inch of screen for one hour. The Moto X is rumored to have 4.7" of screen (I think. If the actual size is less, that's better.). 14.899 * 4.7 = 70.025 mAh to power the Moto X for one hour, so if we divide the battery capacity of the Moto X by this, we SHOULD (theoretically) get the X's battery life. So 2,200 / 70.025 = *drumroll*...............31.417.

So ignoring rounding errors, the Moto X should get around 31 hours of battery life with typical use.

THEORETICALLY.

TL;DR: I predict about 30 hours.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, that was an awesome use of math!

I swore to myself that my next phone would have amazing battery life. I want to be able to use my phone hard from morning to night without worrying. I was hoping the Moto X would be that phone but 2200mAH makes me pause. I hope Lanzeelus' math is right because 30 hours of normal use could probably get me through 15 hours of heavy use.

I hope Motorola really pulled some magic with battery life.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Moto X8 explained: software optimized, 50% better than competition in battery benchmarks
by Bogdan Petrovan on July 31, 2013 12:47 pm 8

Motorola revealed some more details about the X8 ?computing system? that powers the Moto X and Verizon?s new Droid lineup. Extensive software optimization enables better performance with low battery consumption.
TechCocktail/Flickr

The Moto X is a little more than 24 hours away, and it?s good to finally get some official information on what has to be the most hyped device of the year.

Motorola?s SVP for engineering, Iqbal Arshad, talked to PCMag about what makes the X8 computing system at the core of the Moto X special. Especially since neither Verizon, whose Droid devices are powered by the same chip, or Motorola were forthcoming about the X8 until now, our interest was piqued.

SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE, LOW BATTERY CONSUMPTION, AND ?INTELLIGENT, PROBABILISTIC COMPUTING.?
First, the Motorola engineer specified what the X8 isn?t ? a SoC in the traditional sense of the word. The goal for Motorola was to move away from the CPU-based paradigm in order to achieve superior performance, low battery consumption, and ?intelligent, probabilistic computing.?
To achieve these goals, Motorola paired a ?regular? dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC clocked at 1.7GHz and optimized it at a firmware level. According to Arshad:

We've done additional optimizations on top of that such as optimizing the entire Linux user space to move it to an ARM instruction set, cache optimization, Dalvik just-in-time optimization, and we've changed the file system {?} It's full hardware-software integration to deliver best-in-class performance.

In addition to this software-optimized Snapdragon S4 Pro chip, Moto added a contextual computing processor and a natural language processor, which Arshad says Motorola designed in-house, although they were manufactured by a third-party.

Combining the optimized SoC with custom processors for language and sensors supposedly allowed Motorola to achieve big battery savings ? Iqbal Arshad claims that without the two custom cores, the phone would have needed two additional batteries to achieve the same functionality.

Even better, the power savings don?t affect performance ? PCMag quotes Arshad saying that the X8 outperforms competitors in battery rundown benchmarks, while delivering superior frame rates. (Benchmark claims, however, shouldn?t be taken at face value.)

One final interesting note ? Moto?s engineering boss says the company could opt for any other processor, from Qualcomm or other chipmaker, which signals that the company wants the spotlight on its own work, rather than let a ?legacy CPU? supplier get the credit.

Moto X8: software optimized, 50% better than competition in battery benchmarks

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I hope everything above is right. My Maxx HD is nice but it's RAM-starved.

All I need is a solid day of (what's for me) moderate use. My Maxx HD does it with ~50-60% left at the end of the workday. ~40% left if I'm hard on it. I can top off in the car on my way to wherever after work.

If the Moto X can get me close (say, 40% after a moderate day), I'll take it.

Can't stomach another Samsung after using the RMHD and the Nexus tablets.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So that big long dissertation on the battery, but how long does it last compared to something like the Droid Maxx?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey