Motorola used to shape the Nexus line

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
After watching the new Roger Moto X product preview video has made started think about moto being a Google company. I believe the Motorolla is just the hardware company pushing out Google idea. The Moto X and features seem where Google is heading. Though the feature is dubbed "Moto Magic" I feel it's a Google feature 100% and believe software ideas and functional of device all handle by Google. I think this devices has become the new Google G1 of 2013.

I feel Google will be using the Moto X as a benchmark for what mainstream features they will but into there Nexus line as well as testing what hardware they want to put in nexus products.

The Nexus Program will still be the same I just believe Google will still use different manufactures for Nexus line. I am just saying I wouldn't be surprise they test out ides through Moto like "Moto Magic"

I wonder if the Moto X will be sold through the Play store.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if I follow.

The Nexus line is a developer phone. It's meant to be affordable for developer's to get the latest updates to develop their software one. Was never meant to be a consumer phone, and still struggle's.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

The Nexus line is a developer phone. It's meant to be affordable for developer's to get the latest updates to develop their software one. Was never meant to be a consumer phone, and still struggle's.

I didn't really follow the OP either until you responded and then it kind of clicked what he was getting at.

Although it's probably pretty unlikely OP, you could be on to something. Although I don't believe it's about the nexus line, because as Gamer said, that's for developers, but more new android versions instead. The new moto phone's could be left with a slight "skin" over them, simply to test new ideas that Google may want to put into new versions of android. Unlikely, but you never know. Google is a well oiled machine.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Using Moto to test out what they want to put into the nexus line. Developer phone or not if you feature the mainstream will use and developers will be more incline to develop.

The new moto phone's could be left with a slight "skin" over them, simply to test new ideas that Google may want to put into new versions of android. Unlikely, but you never know. Google is a well oiled machine.

I don't unlike at all why try to just improve moto for sake moto and not try to improve moto to Google's benefit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Using Moto to test out what they want to put into the nexus line. Developer phone or not if you feature the mainstream will use and developers will be more incline to develop.

I don't unlike at all why try to just improve moto for sake moto and not try to improve moto to Google's benefit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

For differentiation of course. Motorola is still is own brand, and in order for Google to make money off the moto phones, the need to have some unique factors that would attract consumers

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Seems to me Google would want Moto to exhibit the the behaviors they want to see in OEMs while remaining seprate enough as not to anger other OEMs. So Motos won't be pure andrpoid but willbe just far enough from it to be "different". Updates will be fast and furious and continue for beyond a 18 month time frame for the device. Sadly it looks like they will be adopting google's vision of no storage expansion or removable battery.

there is no way they can stealth test new Android features on moto phone and not anger the other manufactureres because CONSUMERS soon figu e out "get it first on Moto" as well as competitors [Apple, Blackberry, Windows] will get sneak peak at what is in the pipeline for android and react sooner.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It might be a dangerous move for Google to alienate the other OEM's aside from Samsung. If they make it too difficult for HTC, LG, Sony, etc to remain competitive because of a Motorola/Samsung stranglehold on Android phone sales, you could set off a chain reaction of OEM's jumping onto another OS platform where the competition isn't as entrenched. It's nearly that bad for them already anyway.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's not solely a developer phone or even close to it. It's meant to show unadulterated Android. I think the OP is on to something about Google and the Moto X. Since Google paid a ridiculous $12 billion for Motorola they didn't get much else other than stopping Motorola from suing other Android OEM's as they were threatening to do to keep form going diner. The Motorola patents were pretty useless too.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
It's not solely a developer phone or even close to it. It's meant to show unadulterated Android. I think the OP is on to something about Google and the Moto X. Since Google paid a ridiculous $12 billion for Motorola they didn't get much else other than stopping Motorola from suing other Android OEM's as they were threatening to do to keep form going diner. The Motorola patents were pretty useless too.

The Motorola purchase was meant to buy Moto's very, VERY, VERY Large portfolio of mobile patents......

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

The patents were probably worth the 12 billion alone. A mediocre hardware company just happened to come with them...

Sent from my SCH-I535

niko_orsini

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
The patents were probably worth the 12 billion alone. A mediocre hardware company just happened to come with them...

Sent from my SCH-I535

Not really. Motorola's patents, as we have seen recently, aren't worth 12 billion alone.

I think they bought Motorola also to "defend" themselves from Samsung.

Inviato da mio iPhone usando Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It might be a dangerous move for Google to alienate the other OEM's aside from Samsung. If they make it too difficult for HTC, LG, Sony, etc to remain competitive because of a Motorola/Samsung stranglehold on Android phone sales, you could set off a chain reaction of OEM's jumping onto another OS platform where the competition isn't as entrenched. It's nearly that bad for them already anyway.

Exactly.