maybe I'm paranoid, but since the gov't spying leaks are pretty much all but confirmed I'm not too sure I like this. How can I ever know 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no way for whatever I say in the vicinity of my phone can't be listened to somehow unless I root and manually turn off the feature?
    07-14-2013 07:10 PM
    I'm paranoid of a lot of things. Though I highly doubt everything your phone hears is recorded and saved, and the chances of you being tapped is slim to none. The Gov't won't tap you unless they have a reason too. Terrorist!
    Plus I think it only listens to a certain command that you set, like a code word. We have to wait for the proper announcement but I trust Motorola.
    07-14-2013 08:34 PM
    I love the features! I'd love to be able to use it.

If you think of it, Your phone has a microphone. If they really wanted to, they can activate the microphone without you knowing it, it'd been proven already that it's possible.
    07-14-2013 10:16 PM
    The government could be listening using any phone, so there's no reason to think this is more likely on this phone. Besides, that would take too much manpower and what would they gain from hearing your random conversations?

Posted via Android Central App
    07-14-2013 10:32 PM
    The bad news is that they probably can listen in already with just about every phone out there, video too. The good news is that they don't care about you...

Transmitted through spacetime.
    07-16-2013 09:04 PM
    Personally, what's most on my mind in regards to these voice recognition features is what developers will hopefully be able to do with them.

I'd love to create my own completely customized commands and abilities (i.e. writing the modifications or app myself), taking advantage of the pseudo-always-on functionality.

"Hello Moto. Unlock my car."

Aquila likes this.
    07-17-2013 04:48 AM
    I think everyone should name their 'Droids (not the (TM) DROID) with a designation like Johnny-5, R2D2, etc. so that you hear people say great things like, "Arrtoo! How long until my dentist appointment?!" or "Greetings EmExOne, please initiate reminder to call my mother in law after work."
    07-17-2013 05:23 AM
    Can't it be turned off if you do not want to use it? If so then you shouldn't be so worried about it.
    07-17-2013 06:12 AM
    If you turn it off, can you trust (and verify) that it's really off, that is the question.

07-17-2013 09:11 AM
    Can't it be turned off if you do not want to use it? If so then you shouldn't be so worried about it.
    Seems like that feature is one of its big selling points. I think if someone doesn't want it they should just look for a different phone.
    07-17-2013 09:46 AM
    Seems like that feature is one of its big selling points. I think if someone doesn't want it they should just look for a different phone.
    The Samsung Galaxy S4 has a lot features as a selling point, but you can turn all of them off. If you can not turn them off on the Moto X, then the OP might want to look at another phone as you suggest.
    07-17-2013 12:05 PM
    What if somebody passing by just said a command while it was in your pocket not even knowing they said the command.

07-17-2013 12:52 PM
    The one guy on reddit who was posting it said to use the feature you have to go through a process where it learns your voice (and the command), so unless you have a twin or sound like someone that happens to walk by I would assume you are ok.

Don't want any kinect mishaps like when they had the Xbox One announcement and kept messing with people who were streaming via their xbox with kinect.
    07-17-2013 01:38 PM
    What if somebody passing by just said a command while it was in your pocket not even knowing they said the command.

This supposedly won't happen, because the phone is going to know, based on the sensors it has, that its in a pocket, moving, ambient noise....etc etc
    07-17-2013 02:00 PM
    This supposedly won't happen, because the phone is going to know, based on the sensors it has, that its in a pocket, moving, ambient noise....etc etc
    Plus, if you name your phone the random passers-by won't be able to command it without knowing its name.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
    07-17-2013 02:05 PM
    I think the idea is neat. I think I will have it turned off unless there is no option to do so.
    07-17-2013 07:33 PM
    maybe I'm paranoid, but since the gov't spying leaks are pretty much all but confirmed I'm not too sure I like this. How can I ever know 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no way for whatever I say in the vicinity of my phone can't be listened to somehow unless I root and manually turn off the feature?
    This was the first thing I thought of. It's quite well document how much in bed Google is with the current admin. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if it went down this wy.
    07-18-2013 02:02 PM
    In that regard, there is no difference between this device versus any other device that has a mic and/or camera on it. The only thing that prevents such use is storing it, sans battery, in a soundproof container.
    07-18-2013 02:41 PM
    I think it would work well if the phone was only always listening for a "pet phrase," and only when it hears that it wakes up to your commands. Like you'd have to say "Okay Moto" or something and then it would respond. But if it's going to respond to all speech I don't see how that's going to work. Even on Star Trek, don't they always preface communications with the computer by saying "Computer" first?
    07-18-2013 03:35 PM
    There isn't. Using the voice interaction features will always involve sending your data to a cloud computer (privacy-security problem per se). If you want to use it, you will have to give up some privacy-security. No way around it in 2013 with the state of the cloud today. That's why peeps who value privacy more always turn off Siri.
    07-18-2013 03:37 PM
    I'm sure the NSA will tap right into it and Google will let them.

07-19-2013 12:02 PM
    There isn't. Using the voice interaction features will always involve sending your data to a cloud computer (privacy-security problem per se). If you want to use it, you will have to give up some privacy-security. No way around it in 2013 with the state of the cloud today. That's why peeps who value privacy more always turn off Siri.
    I just finished watching TwiG video in the other thread, and Laporte is insisting that the new voice features will be local-only and not sent over the net
    07-19-2013 01:14 PM
    Google introduced local voice typing with JellyBean. I can't remember if that extended to Google Now's actions though. Some of them would make sense to be local. Like playing music or calling people. Wouldn't work to well for searching for things though.
    07-19-2013 01:34 PM