I'm looking forward to running Ubuntu Touch later this year. I'm not happy with the Nexus 4 (no LTE, quad-core, screen too big, speaker on back of phone, too heavy). From the sounds of it, Moto X is going to fix several of the Nexus 4 problems (smaller screen, dual-core, LTE, lighter weight). YEA!

I just hope it will be able to run Ubuntu Touch later this year. If so, I'm def goin to buy.
    07-18-2013 07:17 AM
    Had to laugh at screen to big. But I guess to each their own. I'm interested in this new phone too though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-18-2013 07:27 AM
    Had to laugh at screen to big. But I guess to each their own. I'm interested in this new phone too though.
    :0 I hear ya. But I'm dying for a phone that is more iPhone size than these mammoths that Android keeps releasing (4.5+ is pretty big IMHO). I'm hoping MotoX will be no bigger than 4.3" at most.
    gamefreak715 likes this.
    07-18-2013 07:30 AM
    :0 I hear ya. But I'm dying for a phone that is more iPhone size than these mammoths that Android keeps releasing (4.5+ is pretty big IMHO). I'm hoping MotoX will be no bigger than 4.3" at most.
    Yeah I know what you mean, the DROID on Verizon with the 4.3 inch edge to edge screen is an awesome side, lol I forget the name of it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using AC app.
    07-18-2013 07:45 AM
    You would rather have a less powerful dual core CPU than a more powerful quad core? I'm sorry, but I fail to see the logic in that. To each their own though.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-18-2013 07:50 AM
    You would rather have a less powerful dual core CPU than a more powerful quad core? I'm sorry, but I fail to see the logic in that. To each their own though.

Quad core isnt always better. Google knows android doenst make 100% use of the quad core, so thats why they pick a good dual core

07-18-2013 08:26 AM
    for a mobile device (in 2013), yes.

Comparing the Nexus 4 (quad) with the iPhone (dual) I see that the iPhone is very fast, tends to have better battery life and runs cooler. Not scientific, but I'm guessing at least part of this is due to dual-core. Plus the iPhone 5S is apparently going to stay with dual-core so people smarter than me are thinking dual-core is adequate.

Maybe for a gaming phone, quad-core is better, but I don't game on phone.

Battery life while running cool is what's most important to me in Mobile device. The devices I see that have these traits tend to have dual-core, so this what led me to this hypothesis.
    07-18-2013 09:40 AM

Comparing the Nexus 4 (quad) with the iPhone (dual) I see that the iPhone is very fast, tends to have better battery life and runs cooler. Not scientific, but I'm guessing at least part of this is due to dual-core. Plus the iPhone 5S is apparently going to stay with dual-core so people smarter than me are thinking dual-core is adequate.

Battery life while running cool is what's most important to me in Mobile device. The devices I see that have these traits tend to have dual-core, so this what led me to this hypothesis.
    That's mainly because apple has done a very excellent job in integrating their software with their hardware. And ios doesn't have a ll of the flashiness and flare that android does. It doesn't have any features that require a super fast proc to run smooth.

As for the lag, I can make an iPhone lag if I run a system intensive game on it. But I understand your point. When it comes down to it all the average consumer cares about is whether or not their phone can make calls, that is what we have them for.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    07-18-2013 09:57 AM
    Moto x and nexus 4 seem to have the exact same screen size.

Transmitted through spacetime.
    07-18-2013 01:35 PM
    Yeah I know what you mean, the DROID on Verizon with the 4.3 inch edge to edge screen is an awesome side, lol I forget the name of it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using AC app.
    Razr M I believe....

We will know soon enough. Hoping both the X and the Ultra will have unlocked bootloaders (cue laughter)
    07-18-2013 02:40 PM
    Moto x and nexus 4 seem to have the exact same screen size.
    The photo with the ruler showed Moto X to have about a 4.3" screen and just under 5" length. (hoping it's no bigger than 4.3" max)
    gamefreak715 likes this.
    07-18-2013 03:31 PM
    07-18-2013 03:39 PM
    The photo with the ruler showed Moto X to have about a 4.3" screen and just under 5" length. (hoping it's no bigger than 4.3" max)
    The screen is 4.7" from this photo, but with smaller bezels it seems like they put it in a more compact design.
    07-18-2013 03:44 PM
    Oh fud. I forgot that the screen has black parts around the white sections on Android When you factor that it indeed looks like 4.7". Dang!

Why do all the unlocked phones have to be so BIG? Makes me want to get an iPhone. Hence my conundrum: mammoth size & unlocked vs. reasonable size & locked
    07-18-2013 03:46 PM
    Oh fud. I forgot that the screen has black parts around the white sections on Android When you factor that it indeed looks like 4.7". Dang!

Why do all the unlocked phones have to be so BIG? Makes me want to get an iPhone. Hence my conundrum: mammoth size & unlocked vs. reasonable size & locked
    Is it screen size that is too big or the device in total or both? I'm not sure if it's hard to reach the entire screen on 4.7 without re-positioning, etc.
    07-18-2013 03:48 PM
    Razr M I believe....
    The RAZR M appears to be smaller.

MERCDROID likes this.
    07-18-2013 03:58 PM
    Is it screen size that is too big or the device in total or both? I'm not sure if it's hard to reach the entire screen on 4.7 without re-positioning, etc.
    Sorry. It's the Device size itself that I'm trying to keep down. It was probably improper of me to be focusing on screen size considering this.I appreciate screen size, but find that the devices that have more than 4.3" screen are too wide IMHO. I think the iPhone 5 device size is really light and mobile but still offers a good size screen.
    07-18-2013 04:01 PM
    Hope there will be a 5in version. Can't go back to what seem like tiny screens now.

hodan likes this.
    07-18-2013 04:34 PM
    I like the 4.7" screen on the One. I find the iPhone screens too small for my liking.

Apple custom designs their own ARM processors in house, so you can't necessarly do a direct comparison with other off the shelf designs. They don't just buy Snapdragons. They also tweak the OS to sip power.

I have noticed on my One when running CPU ID, two or three cores are usually off, but they are there when needed. Look at all the complaints of lag by the S3 and S4 users.

That's mainly because apple has done a very excellent job in integrating their software with their hardware. And ios doesn't have a ll of the flashiness and flare that android does. It doesn't have any features that require a super fast proc to run smooth.

As for the lag, I can make an iPhone lag if I run a system intensive game on it. But I understand your point. When it comes down to it all the average consumer cares about is whether or not their phone can make calls, that is what we have them for.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    Which model of iPhone can you make lag. What OS versions and apps are you using ? I'd like to try to replicate it on my iPad 4.
    07-18-2013 04:34 PM
    Sorry. It's the Device size itself that I'm trying to keep down. It was probably improper of me to be focusing on screen size considering this.I appreciate screen size, but find that the devices that have more than 4.3" screen are too wide IMHO. I think the iPhone 5 device size is really light and mobile but still offers a good size screen.
    In that case, you should be all set. From some video I saw, the Moto X is only a tad bit bigger than the iPhone 5.

07-18-2013 05:14 PM

Do you suffer from Baby Hand Syndrome? Or you just prefer having harder to read/play/touch everything?
    tr-1 likes this.
    07-19-2013 07:28 PM
    Go get a gimped HTC One mini - or S4 mini or Active or whatever they have. Android will never have small screen flagships again - people LOVE big screens.
    07-19-2013 07:31 PM
    Go get a gimped HTC One mini - or S4 mini or Active or whatever they have. Android will never have small screen flagships again - people LOVE big screens.
    The unlocked S4 mini doesn't support G4 in the US. (And maybe not even G3 on T-mobile.) The One mini doesn't exist, yet. We shall see what it supports.

I am also looking for a phone that it's too huge, so I've done a fair amount of research. I don't need the fastest fanciest gadget, but I want something fast and smooth with good battery life, solid radios, and I want it unlocked and running Jellybean. That's not an easy combination to find. I was planning to get an S4 mini, but the lack of G4 gives me pause.
    07-20-2013 12:19 AM
    The unlocked S4 mini doesn't support G4 in the US. (And maybe not even G3 on T-mobile.) The One mini doesn't exist, yet. We shall see what it supports.

I am also looking for a phone that it's too huge, so I've done a fair amount of research. I don't need the fastest fanciest gadget, but I want something fast and smooth with good battery life, solid radios, and I want it unlocked and running Jellybean. That's not an easy combination to find. I was planning to get an S4 mini, but the lack of G4 gives me pause.
    I get it, when I had the OG Evo on Sprint I thought 4.3 was too big, lol. I figured between that and the 3.5 iPhone, that 4" would be perfect. Now I dig my 4.7" 1080p display and can't imagine going back.

And the HTC One mini's specs are out, on sale August 9 I believe.

What do you mean by G4 btw?
    07-20-2013 12:57 PM
    oops, I meant 4G, or LTE. Not G4.

And I'm sure a larger display would be nice. But my 4.3" Photon is already a little bigger than what I like to have in my pockets, and I am very unenthusiastic about phones getting yet larger.
    07-20-2013 10:40 PM