Moto X:Playstore, Cost, Availability?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If the Moto X is sold from the playstore do you think we can customize our Moto X from the playstore?

What is the price of Moto X unlocked rumored to be?

Will it be available in US before international?

Will the Playstore finally launch a product with out major hiccups in the ordering process?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Non of that information has been made available yet. It's expected to hit all major US carriers. There have been leaks of supposed back covers in different colors, not sure how this could be handled in terms of getting a custom look or choices. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Play Store has only sold Nexus devices. Being that this is not a Nexus, it's unlikely that it will be sold through Google Play.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Non of that information has been made available yet. It's expected to hit all major US carriers. There have been leaks of supposed back covers in different colors, not sure how this could be handled in terms of getting a custom look or choices. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Play Store has only sold Nexus devices. Being that this is not a Nexus, it's unlikely that it will be sold through Google Play.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

True the Playstore has only sold Google Products but I figure the Moto X would be one of them.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
If the Moto X is sold from the playstore do you think we can customize our Moto X from the playstore?

I'll bet the only way to get it engraved will be purchasing it from Google Play.

What is the price of Moto X unlocked rumored to be?

I've heard we're looking at staying close to the $299 price point for the unlocked versions.

Will it be available in US before international?

That seems like a reasonable assumption, because that's how Google and Motorola both have worked in the past. I hope it's available world wide on day one, though :)

Will the Playstore finally launch a product with out major hiccups in the ordering process?

No. LOL.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought Motorola online was where you do all customizing for the Moto X and the playstore just another option to purchase the device only?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Can a CDMA phone ever be considered unlocked? Wouldn't it stink for us Verizon customers if it was $299 direct from Google for gsm unlocked OR $199 with a 2 year contract ($599 off contract) from VZW for their version.

Guess we'll have to wait and see how motogoogle handles selling a phpne on all of the major carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Can a CDMA phone ever be considered unlocked? Wouldn't it stink for us Verizon customers if it was $299 direct from Google for gsm unlocked OR $199 with a 2 year contract ($599 off contract) from VZW for their version.

Guess we'll have to wait and see how motogoogle handles selling a phpne on all of the major carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

A CDMA phone can be considered unlocked if it has gsm, and the gsm portion is unlocked. Most of Verizon's current 4GLTE phones are factory sim unlocked, some older ones were unlocked by update.

The CDMA unlock doesn't mean much as CDMA carriers can require the esn to be in the database as with sprint and Verizon

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

niko_orsini

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I hope with ALL my heart that it will be available worldwide at launch and I think it will be sold through Google Play.
If it cost 299$, I'll buy one.

Inviato da mio iPhone usando Tapatalk 2

bquindawl

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Any chance we will be able to buy a Verizon version on Google Play for $299, or whatever the actual unlocked price is?? (I know, probably a Pipe Dream, but have to ask)

Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Any chance we will be able to buy a Verizon version on Google Play for $299, or whatever the actual unlocked price is?? (I know, probably a Pipe Dream, but have to ask)

Thanks.

Maybe, once volte is out... Now, forget it

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
As much as it pains me to say it, I would say you're exactly right. And that sucks.

Hm. I think you're right. If so, yeah, that would suck. At first, I thought since it going to be available for all carriers and sell on the Play Store, I thought I'd be able to buy it for Verizon from there. But I guess that's wishful thinking. Back when the Galaxy Nexus was being sold, Play didn't sell the VZW version, right? So I guess we should not expect the VZW Moto X to either.

But if say $300 is the MSRP, shouldn't VZW sell it for $300 off contract (and maybe $50-100 on-contract)? If so, that would work just as well.

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Today's rumor (from Moto X Off Contract Pricing Sounds Amazing If True, 16GB and 32GB Model's | GizmoFusion )

The rumors for this device just keep on leaking, with another today that I think will not only surprise but make some of you very happy. We had two separate sources email us over the weekend with information regarding the pricing details of the soon to be official Moto X from Motorola and Google. Take it with a grain of salt as usual, but we think these numbers line up with what Google and Moto are trying to do with this phone. They want to get it out there, make it the cheapest off contract phone available, with spec?s that are absolutely good enough for the majority of smartphone buyers looking to upgrade.

Our sources are both saying the 16GB version will retail off contract for $299 with the 32GB version being either $349 or $399. Carriers will of course sell the phone directly, and on-contract pricing should be aggressive. They feel a $99/$150 price point is very likely, for 16GB and 32GB respectively. Some carriers might only carry one model, some might carry both, we are just not sure yet.

If these numbers remain true it could very well shake up the mobile phone industry. It?s very likely at these prices they could be selling these phones at just about near cost, even slightly below cost, but that remains to be seen and we will just have to wait another week or so to find out officially.

(Emphasis added).

bquindawl

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I would be COMPLETELY fine with buying the phone from Verizon, for $299-399. Ecstatic even.

My big worry is it won't be $299-399 off contract from Verizon. There was a big disparity in price between the "Play Store" GN and the Verizon GN. $349 vs. $599.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong. :)

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I would imagine that Nexus 4 sales will fall off a cliff if these prices turn out to be accurate. I couldn't see myself spending $299 for last year's Nexus 4 if I could get a 16GB Moto X for the same price.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine that Nexus 4 sales will fall off a cliff if these prices turn out to be accurate. I couldn't see myself spending $299 for last year's Nexus 4 if I could get a 16GB Moto X for the same price.

Think the Moto X is appealing, but hardware wise think the Nexus 4 more than in game. Has quad core processor, 16 gigs of storage and 2 gigs of Ram. Don't see
Moto X exceeding any of those from what I've read. And we still don't know if the X will have straight Android and be guaranteed fast updates. Those are big pluses in Nexus 4 corner already. So fall off cliff? Not until the Nexus 5 unless, of course, the Moto X is the new Nexus 5. If so, it's underwhelming.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Possibly, but it wouldn't be long anyways with the Nexus 5 expected 2-3 months after the Moto X anyways.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Possibly, but it wouldn't be long anyways with the Nexus 5 expected 2-3 months after the Moto X anyways.

Yep, the Nexus 4 will probably phase out as soon as the Nexus 5 is released on the play store. When the Nexus 7.2 comes out,however long for nexus 7 to be remove from playstore is how long Nexus 4 has when the 5 comes out.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site