08-23-2013 09:39 AM
153 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Three things could stop me buying this.
    1. A new Nexus which is not bigger than the Moto and doesn't have worse battery life. Possibly just a new Nexus even if it is bigger and has worse battery life.
    2. Bad reviews by people who actually own and use the thing after it comes out. I'm not upgrading until Fall, so there will be plenty of time for pioneers to tell me if it's good.
    3. Since I am not upgrading until the fall, another non-Nexus could come out and be better than this phone and the Nexus.

Did I mention I am a fan of Nexus phones a million times? Item 1 is the thing most likely to keep me from buying this phone.
    I want an update to my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I easily see myself using my current Nexus for another 6-8 months, possibly longer. In spite of its flaws, it is 100% unique and better than a Google experience device, since Google had a hand in hardware development too.

It's just fun to tinker with the phone and the developer support has been amazing. if I am still using the phone in 6-8 months, I have no doubt it will be getting Key Lime Pie. With that said, a locked and encrypted bootloader is a deal breaker for me because that will directly affect updates and future developer support. I would also strongly prefer a 32 GB version, since I don't want to change my storage habits and I like having media accessible when I don't have a data connection.

If I am optimistic, I hope that Verizon will get future Nexus devices and, if so, that'll be by next device. However, I have my doubts and think that the Moto X has the potential to be the closest thing to a Nexus device on Verizon for the near future.

After all, prior to the Galaxy Nexus release, some said the OG Droid was the closest thing to a Nexus device on Verizon. It had an unlockible bootloader, tons of developer support, and a devoted fan base, even as newer phones were released. I am hoping the Moto X can be the heir apparent to the OG Droid and the Galaxy Nexus.
    jbruha likes this.
    07-24-2013 01:14 AM
    For me it would be price. I would like to get one on Sprint if the price is right.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    dcunited08 likes this.
    07-24-2013 07:57 AM
    I'm leaning toward the HTC Mini at the moment, though wary of not getting OS updates from HTC, but I have a couple months to decide.
    continue being wary. Looks like HTC owners aren't getting an update until fall 2013 because they're skipping 4.2.2 and going to 4.3. Sadly, I'd bet carrier versions will likely not get an OTA until early 2014.
    07-24-2013 08:32 AM
    continue being wary. Looks like HTC owners aren't getting an update until fall 2013 because they're skipping 4.2.2 and going to 4.3. Sadly, I'd bet carrier versions will likely not get an OTA until early 2014.
    Some HTC One owners received 4.2.2 already, but some carriers are specifically choosing to pass and focus on 4.3. This is also being done by Samsung across the board on the Note 2. It is strange to see them skip a level like this.
    07-24-2013 08:36 AM
    Some HTC One owners received 4.2.2 already, but some carriers are specifically choosing to pass and focus on 4.3. This is also being done by Samsung across the board on the Note 2. It is strange to see them skip a level like this.
    gotcha, thanks for the correction
    07-24-2013 10:01 AM
    No SD card. I mean I have stopped doing the custom ROM thing since Android and the hardware has gotten better every year. That is my real hold up, custom ROMs and having to back everything up each n every time I change ROMs.

I currently use 11GB on my Maxx HD so storage size is another.

No notification light might be another deal breaker. I like seeing my phone from across the room and knowing whats going on. I have Facebook set to blue, it rarely gets my immediate attention. Green always gets my full attention fast. If they make the notification screen flash bright enough....maybe we can talk.....
    07-24-2013 08:18 PM
    Price and availability in my country. Motorola seems to be extremely patriotic with this phone, so I don't know what will happen in Europe.
    07-25-2013 03:45 AM
    The only thing that would stop me is a lack of a 32GB model. Even then, the thing is a good looker so It would be hard to pass up.
    07-25-2013 04:18 AM
    The fact that I already have an HTC One. Seriously though, I can't wait to see what Motorola puts out!

Sent from my HTC One :-)
    07-25-2013 05:00 AM
    I doubt it would be a hit in my country. Plus, I bought my new phone just 2 months ago.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-25-2013 05:56 AM
    No SD card. I mean I have stopped doing the custom ROM thing since Android and the hardware has gotten better every year. That is my real hold up, custom ROMs and having to back everything up each n every time I change ROMs.

I currently use 11GB on my Maxx HD so storage size is another.

No notification light might be another deal breaker. I like seeing my phone from across the room and knowing whats going on. I have Facebook set to blue, it rarely gets my immediate attention. Green always gets my full attention fast. If they make the notification screen flash bright enough....maybe we can talk.....
    Why would you back everything up each time you change ROM's? You do know that flashing on devices without external SD slots doesn't wipe the built-in storage, right?
    07-25-2013 06:46 AM
    Why would you back everything up each time you change ROM's? You do know that flashing on devices without external SD slots doesn't wipe the built-in storage, right?
    Things must have changed since the G Nex launched then. If so that's good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app
    07-25-2013 07:32 AM
    Things must have changed since the G Nex launched then. If so that's good.
    I have a Galaxy Nexus and the internal SD has never been wiped when I flash ROMs.
    07-25-2013 07:54 AM
    What would stop me is mainly price. I know there has been a lot of speculation that this will be priced low off-contract but I'm starting to get rather pessimistic about that notion, especially if carrier specific variants are only available through the carrier and not somewhere like the Play Store (looking at you Sprint and Verizon). If it's priced low enough, I'd gladly sell off my S4 to give Moto another chance for a marginally lower specced phone with a great software experience.
    07-26-2013 07:25 AM
    Only thing that would stop me from buying this phone would be a better phone for less money. I'm on Verizon so the new Nexus 5 when ever that happens is probably not an option for me.
    07-26-2013 10:58 AM
    For me, it would be all the new phones coming out soon...decisions, decisions...
    Was looking at the Nokia 928 for it's camera and the HTC One for it's power, looks, sound and it's a HTC but after having my Rezound for a couple of years I'm still happy with it so that could hold me back. I think the Moto X will take off for the group of consumers that don't have the $$ or a need to grab a HTC One or N4 or some other top tier smartphone. Have to wait and see after the 4 carriers get the device and people buy them to really see how they fit in.
    I'm just on the fence and love'n it...
    07-26-2013 07:02 PM
    At this point I'm waiting on a few things. 32gb or higher storage, what the screen looks like in person, the quality of the customization(especially the rumored carbon fiber option) and and some head to head comparisons with the One. If it operates as smooth or better, even with a lesser processor, I'd over look that completely. I'm not really looking to play games on my phone, so the gpu doesn't mean much to me. I'm just really getting tired of HTCs update schedule on thier phones, and while the Google One would be a perfect fit for me, I'm on Sprint, so no dice.
    07-27-2013 09:26 AM
    A weak cell radio, a small battery, less than 32gb of memory (with out a micro SD slot), and the dual core processor.

I am tired if the dropped calls on the Galaxy S1, 2 and 3. I am tired of having to carry a spare battery, or always look for a charger to get through my 12 hour shift at work. 16bg of storage is simply not enough after MP3's and these games these days take up a ton of room. The dual core processor may have been the coffin nail though. Some of these games lag badly on my S3, what will happen with 2 less cores?
    07-27-2013 04:41 PM
    If it feels a little too bulky in hand (as compared to say the SGS4 Mini or iPhone 5).

Also if it is confirmed that the Moto X will be on a significantly slower update schedule than Nexus handsets, then ya that might be a deal-breaker.
    07-27-2013 05:03 PM
    A low-res screen would kill the idea for me. If the phone offers less than 320 ppi than I'm just not interested.

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4
    07-27-2013 05:23 PM
    Also if it is confirmed that the Moto X will be on a significantly slower update schedule than Nexus handsets, then ya that might be a deal-breaker.
    Honestly, no one is going to confirm that. What are Google or Motorola going to say? "Oh yeah, we'll take FOREVER to update this one, folks." You'll just have to wait and see.
    karn101 and cbales24 like this.
    07-27-2013 05:25 PM
    I'm new to Android and was looking at the device and the lack of a SD card puts me off. IIRC from the review I read, it also has a dual core CPU. Seem a bit of a backwards move as the S4 has quad core.

I do like the way it looks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-27-2013 05:30 PM
    If it feels a little too bulky in hand (as compared to say the SGS4 Mini or iPhone 5).

And guaranteed there will dozens of complaint threads about how this was supposed to be influenced by Google and have immediate updates when nothing even remotely suggests that...

Sent from my SCH-I535
    ultravisitor likes this.
    07-27-2013 07:43 PM
    The only thing stopping me is that I probably won't be able to afford one anytime soon
    07-28-2013 08:50 AM
    And guaranteed there will dozens of complaint threads about how this was supposed to be influenced by Google and have immediate updates when nothing even remotely suggests that...

Sent from my SCH-I535
    Exactly. It amazes me that everyone is just assuming GE phones and Google owned Motorola phones are somehow going to get automatic Nexus program privileges. I don't want to be too hard on them though because if the massive number of threads complaining about carrier/manufacturer delayed updates is any indication, this is probably THE most complained about android smartphone issue of all. People are grasping for anything to hope there's a solution around the corner.

There is and there isn't. What we're seeing right now with the GE phones, and Google pulling the API's of their native apps out of the phones and into Google Play Services is an improvement that helps mitigate the annoyance of delayed updates somewhat, but not a total and complete solution. The only total solution available right now is a Nexus, and IMO that's not a problem. The Nexus 4 is a superb device, and the Nexus 5 is going to be incredible. Other than that, you're basically looking at going iPhone, which only managed to avoid delayed updates because they were able to strongarm the carriers in the early days and they make their own hardware.

However, having said all that, if Google are really as serious about outdoing Apple as they appear to be, then they SHOULD make a phone that's a combination of their own hardware - which they can now do because they own Motorola - as well as directly updated by Google software. If that were ever to come about, I really see no more reason to ever even consider an iPhone other than pure brand loyalty.

So what's stopping them? Well basically neither the Nexus nor the Motorola brands command the same type of brand popularity that iPhones and Samsung do. So that means many carriers will not play nice with Google and allow a Motorola Nexus to be sold from their stores free of their software and controlled updates. Trying to gather sales as high as iPhone and Galaxy without being pushed to people by the carriers, and having to sell only from Play Store would be pretty tough.

We'll see what Google comes up with. It's a no-brainer that they have already likely discussed all of this.
    cbales24 likes this.
    07-28-2013 10:40 AM
153 ... 23456 ...