What would stop you from buying the Moto X?

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
With all that's (mostly) been revealed about the Moto X thus far, is it something you would want to pick up, or is there something it's missing that's really important to you? With all of the back and forth about it being "mid-range", I'm curious to see if that kind of negative hype is swaying people away from this device before it's even been officially announced.

For me, the one feature I told myself my next phone needed to have was wireless charging. I've heard no mention of it yet and those I've asked have said they didn't know, so it sounds like it wasn't included. Motorola also hasn't done anything with the technology (yet) which also makes me think it won't have it. It may not be a deal breaker for me, but it will give me pause if it's not included in the feature run down when it's announced.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I would really miss the MicroSD. I currently own Samsung devices just for the SD port. I do plan on getting the new Nexus 7, so the missing SD slot will not bother me once I find good ways to work around it. I think the Moto X seems like a nice phone, and if I was looking for a smartphone it would definitely be worth considering.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
When I had the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, I never really cared about having a separate card slot, but then I moved to the RAZR MAXX HD. I got ridiculously spoiled by both the convenience and sheer volume of stuff I could throw at the phone and not really pay attention to it. At my worst, I added a 64gb card and had over half filled on both without trying!

It'll be hard going back to fixed internal memory, but I think I could manage if I had to. I just hope they'll have an option for a 32gb model.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
When I had the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, I never really cared about having a separate card slot, but then I moved to the RAZR MAXX HD. I got ridiculously spoiled by both the convenience and sheer volume of stuff I could throw at the phone and not really pay attention to it. At my worst, I added a 64gb card and had over half filled on both without trying!

It'll be hard going back to fixed internal memory, but I think I could manage if I had to. I just hope they'll have an option for a 32gb model.

Yeah. My current tablet has 8 gigs, and I find I am constantly running out of room. I just hope the 32 gig New Nexus 7 is not too much more $ than the 16.

Back on topic, I am pretty happy with what we know about the Moto X so far. But I doubt I will be getting one, since I am not needing a new phone yet.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
It's all around crap specs. Nothing special at all other than a neat name.

I had a feeling someone would say this. Can you be more specific about which specs you're most concerned about being "crap"? I'm sure there's a handful for you coming from an HTC One, but I'm curious what would be the most important things that you personally wouldn't want to lose.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I had a feeling someone would say this. Can you be more specific about which specs you're most concerned about being "crap"? I'm sure there's a handful for you coming from an HTC One, but I'm curious what would be the most important things that you personally wouldn't want to lose.

Screen & CPU and so on. Doesn't seem future proof to me. That alone is an issue for me. Just get a N4 for cheaper with better specs IMO. (Pricing is a guess but most likely correct.)

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It's all around crap specs. Nothing special at all other than a neat name.

Not all the features have been leaked yet. For all you know, the tech on this phone could be modified to run better than a quad s800. Also the signers of the NDA are saying there's some real pertinent things we don't know about this phone that haven't been in any of the leaks.

I'm not saying you won't end up being right, but I think you're being too certain without knowing all the facts yet. I'm also skeptical that this phone will sway me as being any better than other flagships. But I'm not passing judgement until a) the phone launches and b) enough time goes by that we get to start seeing how good or bad it ends up being after the public get their hands on.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Screen & CPU and so on. Doesn't seem future proof to me. That alone is an issue for me. Just get a N4 for cheaper with better specs IMO. (Pricing is a guess but most likely correct.)

I see, so it's a value concern? You don't want to buy a phone that doesn't have top of the line specs because that could potentially mean it won't hold it's value over the next few generations of phones, is that right?

If nothing else, I would argue that A) the rumored low cost will allow for some room for it to not perform over time and B) the specs are still nothing to scoff at. Thus far, it'll be the most powerful device Motorola has put out and at that price point, it'll be another hit like the Nexus 4 or 7.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
What would stop me from buying the Moto X?

A reinforced concrete wall would probably stop me... cause you know, I can easily get through a plain concrete wall.

In all seriousness, I am looking forward to this device even if it isn't a spec beast. If it came out and the only significant features were the always on voice thing and the sample notification screen that pops up on occasion, that would probably stop me. I expect a smooth running phone especially if it is running close to stock android. I also expect other features to make this phone a joy to use and make it more convenient.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Price. I wouldn't pay $599 (subsidized through the carrier or not) for it. If I can't eBay my gs3 and toss a hundred bucks more in for it, I'll probably pass.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Not all the features have been leaked yet. For all you know, the tech on this phone could be modified to run better than a quad s800. Also the signers of the NDA are saying there's some real pertinent things we don't know about this phone that haven't been in any of the leaks.

I'm not saying you won't end up being right, but I think you're being too certain without knowing all the facts yet. I'm also skeptical that this phone will sway me as being any better than other flagships. But I'm not passing judgement until a) the phone launches and b) enough time goes by that we get to start seeing how good or bad it ends up being after the public get their hands on.

You are 100% correct! I could also be wrong. But as it currently stands it looks like a disappointment to me. I want the top of the line hardware specs AND software features if at all possible. I'm glad MOTO is bringing some better features and some that we have not seen. This will allow for the ROM community to barrow and even copy at times. So features for someone who flashes ROMs anyways may not be a big deal. And again I could be wrong about that....Who knows MOTO may require some sort of hardware to use some of the cooler software features. New senors and what not.

I see, so it's a value concern? You don't want to buy a phone that doesn't have top of the line specs because that could potentially mean it won't hold it's value over the next few generations of phones, is that right?

If nothing else, I would argue that A) the rumored low cost will allow for some room for it to not perform over time and B) the specs are still nothing to scoff at. Thus far, it'll be the most powerful device Motorola has put out and at that price point, it'll be another hit like the Nexus 4 or 7.

This is the issue with MOTO IMO. Its the most powerful device....I think they should aim to be a leader of the pack. Not just some mid range device. Now I'm not saying mid range devices are a complete waste of time but I think MOTO could do better in the higher tier of phones. Google needs to allow MOTO to bring its A game to the top! Not to a mid level device. But again thats just my opinion. Maybe I'm over thinking it I don't know. In the coming weeks we will see how they do I guess.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
You are 100% correct! I could also be wrong. But as it currently stands it looks like a disappointment to me. I want the top of the line hardware specs AND software features if at all possible. I'm glad MOTO is bringing some better features and some that we have not seen. This will allow for the ROM community to barrow and even copy at times. So features for someone who flashes ROMs anyways may not be a big deal. And again I could be wrong about that....Who knows MOTO may require some sort of hardware to use some of the cooler software features. New senors and what not.

This is the issue with MOTO IMO. Its the most powerful device....I think they should aim to be a leader of the pack. Not just some mid range device. Now I'm not saying mid range devices are a complete waste of time but I think MOTO could do better in the higher tier of phones. Google needs to allow MOTO to bring its A game to the top! Not to a mid level device. But again thats just my opinion. Maybe I'm over thinking it I don't know. In the coming weeks we will see how they do I guess.

What if this phone runs better (faster, smoother, longer) than the top tier devices? Would it still be mid range?

Or will you be looking at it as mid range no matter what because it's dual core, not 1080, and not 5 inch? Just curious of your opinion, and I don't know how the tone of my message is going to come off but I am not trying to be condescending or anything. I really just want to know what you think.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

But what do you consider high end devices? Apple products have crappy specifications compared to what we consider our 'flagship' devices, yet they are considered premium devices and they run very smoothly. Apple does a great job optimizing iOS for low end specifications, and the result is a very smooth and stable system. Now if Google can do the same with the Moto X, there is no need for a huge battery wasting CPU, or a screen that most people can't tell that it is any lower resolution than any other smartphone. Optimization for the specific phones hardware is the key that hopefully Google really pushed for during the phone development process. The answer is not just to slap powerful components onto Android and hope it runs smoothly.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

What if this phone runs better (faster, smoother, longer) than the top tier devices? Would it still be mid range?

Or will you be looking at it as mid range no matter what because it's dual core, not 1080, and not 5 inch? Just curious of your opinion, and I don't know how the tone of my message is going to come off but I am not trying to be condescending or anything. I really just want to know what you think.

In my mind I would find it as STILL a mid level device for a few reasons.

1) CPU speeds do matter on some apps. Games, mostly but I think we will see this more and more on some of the utility apps that are out there. Is this a silly way of thinking right now? Of course but I'm thinking years down the road for someone who wants a device for a year or so. Also not having a 1080 screen is just lame and there is no reason for this. Everyone wants a great screen! I mean lets be honest its one part of the phone we use the most.

2) Resell value is also important to me. Trying to sell a device at the mid level is a lot harder. Because of the features are awesome other OEM's will follow suit and use them in the higher tier devices within the next year would by my guess. So the phone features may not be a selling feature anymore to a stock user.

3) 5 inch phone is NOT important to me personally. So I will not comment much here. BUT I will say its an important selling point to most Android users. Why? I don't know.

But just like you guys I am simply second guessing my self right now. I can be wrong and I might eat these words in a few weeks. However its my current opinion and I will stand by it until then! In fact I'm hoping I'm wrong and they beef up them specs some. I'm not interested in buying a S3 level phone....Even though its a little bit better and better optimized I'm sure.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I want a phone with a large screen, of the screen isn't larger than my note 2, I won't be buying it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
With all that's (mostly) been revealed about the Moto X thus far, is it something you would want to pick up, or is there something it's missing that's really important to you? With all of the back and forth about it being "mid-range", I'm curious to see if that kind of negative hype is swaying people away from this device before it's even been officially announced.

For me, the one feature I told myself my next phone needed to have was wireless charging. I've heard no mention of it yet and those I've asked have said they didn't know, so it sounds like it wasn't included. Motorola also hasn't done anything with the technology (yet) which also makes me think it won't have it. It may not be a deal breaker for me, but it will give me pause if it's not included in the feature run down when it's announced.

1.OS Lag
2.Battery life not on par with the Galaxy Note 1
3. Slow os updates
4. Size phone must be smaller than my S3 and no thicker than a N4.

If phone has any of these issues then I will gave to pass until I see the next nexus phone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that is worrisome to me is that battery capacity.If it can't last 10 hours or more I'm going to stay away. After the Galaxy Nexus battery life is my top concern. I need a phone that will actually be usable when I need it. The rest doesn't bother me. I mean, the CPU lands in the Nexus 4 range while still being dual core and gets an amazing GPU score, which is a major factor in a smooth UI. I don't play games or do heavily threaded tasks so the other specs are fine for my needs. I want to punch every entitled brat on this site that said "this phone shouldn't have been made," right in the teeth. Feels like I'm on a super-biased iOS site these days. Not every phone needs Jetsons tier specs, I'd actually like to see some innovation on the software side I'd want to use.

Greg Pierce

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
There are 2 things that will have me not purchase a Moto X:

1) Camera. If the camera is ****, I won't purchase it. The camera needs to be on par with what is on the market already - don't care about the price point. If this is to be my "everyday" camera, it needs to be decent in low light conditions.

2) Relative performance. If it greatly underperforms the HTC-One Mini or the S4 Mini I will just get one of those as I know they (should) run stock Android and that they should have good performance.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
What if this phone runs better (faster, smoother, longer) than the top tier devices? Would it still be mid range?.

The key lies in WHAT runs faster, smoother and longer. will the optimizations extend to 3rd party apps? For example If I buy this for my wife, who is among the target demographic, will the faster, smother longer, disappear when she runs Facebook or 3rd party widgets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci