"Ok Moto Magic......"

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks that this sounds kind of...... silly?

I mean, the chances of me using that in public are essentially zero. I was trying to sit here and look at my phone and say "Ok Moto Magix" and I just felt a little odd. After saying it, oh, about 10 times, I realized it's the "magic" part that makes it silly. Why can't it be "Ok Motorola" or even "Ok Google." In fact, I would say that for a voice assistant to be effective, the phrase has to be as short as possible. "OK Glass" is a good example. It is short and it addresses what you are speaking to.

I have an HTC One, and boy would I feel kind of silly if I said "Ok HTC Magic" to continue my command.

So I have come to the conclusion that I just won't be saying "Ok Moto Magic" in public. Or even by myself.... making it essentially useless. I'd love to use it though!

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks that this sounds kind of...... silly?

I mean, the chances of me using that in public are essentially zero. I was trying to sit here and look at my phone and say "Ok Moto Magix" and I just felt a little odd. After saying it, oh, about 10 times, I realized it's the "magic" part that makes it silly. Why can't it be "Ok Motorola" or even "Ok Google." In fact, I would say that for a voice assistant to be effective, the phrase has to be as short as possible. "OK Glass" is a good example. It is short and it addresses what you are speaking to.

I have an HTC One, and boy would I feel kind of silly if I said "Ok HTC Magic" to continue my command.

So I have come to the conclusion that I just won't be saying "Ok Moto Magic" in public. Or even by myself.... making it essentially useless. I'd love to use it though!

You can change the voice commands.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You can change the voice commands.

Says who? There's a video of Nilay Patel of The Verge talking to a Motorola employee at the DROID event, and the Motorola employee said that it wouldn't be possible to change the commands.

The commands, like "Okay Google Now," were chosen specifically for their uniqueness so that the phone would be able to easily sense them.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Well I guess I got confused about when they were explains you set the voice commands to sound your voice then I figured you could change the voice command. I will be be saying Google Now anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
In world where people palm,bump,shake, twist and tilt their phones then why not add couple cute voice commands to brighten up the mobile world we live in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok Google Now is not bad. But seriously.... I am not saying Ok Moto Magic.

Seriously, who made that up? I want his/her name and his/her phone number and email. lol

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying it either. Granted, for the most part, the only "Moto Magic" voice command I could see using would be the one to call itself if I've misplaced it. In general, short of being solo in the car, I can't imagine needing or wanting to use a voice command that Google Now can't handle.

drhill

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying it either. Granted, for the most part, the only "Moto Magic" voice command I could see using would be the one to call itself if I've misplaced it. In general, short of being solo in the car, I can't imagine needing or wanting to use a voice command that Google Now can't handle.

It looks like it just uses Google Now. The Moto Magic part is just to activate it without touching.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think I would be willing to participate in this type of feature if I could change the command to "Wake up stupid"

"Wake up stupid! What's the score of the Sox game?"

I'd still rather just poke the microphone button. I feel like enough of a tool just talking to it at all.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
To clear up some misinformation floating around in this thread, let me share with you what I've been made aware of from the upcoming Droids that should be using the same voice recognition technology.

The hot phrase to wake up the device will for sure be "Ok Google Now" and not "Ok Moto Magic". Still a little goofy, and still a mouthful, but better than what that leaked video showed.

That phrase is unfortunately not currently customizable. This is due to needing a specific amount of syllables so as to avoid false positives. I was told it's unique enough and sounds smooth enough that it meets all criteria for this feature to work effectively (though I really wanted to change mine to "Hello Moto" as well).

Upon initial use of the feature, you are asked to train the voice recognition so it can not be triggered by anyone but you. From the demo I saw, it is both very sensitive to the words and very accurate in understanding the owners voice.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
"Ok Moto Magic" is not customizable or "Ok Google Now" is not? An early demonstration of the Moto X feature indicated that it was customizable on that device.

From what I understand, neither. "Ok Moto Magic" as the wake-up phrase has been abandoned in favor of "Ok Google Now" and that phrase can not be changed.

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If "Ok Google Now" can't be changed, it seems that could cause problems for those who are not native English speakers and have a heavy accent. I wonder if, when the phone prompts you to say it, any 5 syllable phrase could become what the phone learns is your voice saying "Ok Google Now", even if it sounds a lot like "Ok computer".

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, neither. "Ok Moto Magic" as the wake-up phrase has been abandoned in favor of "Ok Google Now" and that phrase can not be changed.

On just the Droids or on the Moto X as well? Is there something that states this somewhere?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
On just the Droids or on the Moto X as well? Is there something that states this somewhere?

The Rogers video indicates that "Ok Google Now" is the wake up phrase for the Moto X. "Ok Google Now" was also used as the wake up phrase at the Droid event.

So it looks like it's the same for both phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1