08-09-2013 11:14 PM
31 12
tools
    Am I the only one that thinks that this sounds kind of...... silly?

I mean, the chances of me using that in public are essentially zero. I was trying to sit here and look at my phone and say "Ok Moto Magix" and I just felt a little odd. After saying it, oh, about 10 times, I realized it's the "magic" part that makes it silly. Why can't it be "Ok Motorola" or even "Ok Google." In fact, I would say that for a voice assistant to be effective, the phrase has to be as short as possible. "OK Glass" is a good example. It is short and it addresses what you are speaking to.

I have an HTC One, and boy would I feel kind of silly if I said "Ok HTC Magic" to continue my command.

So I have come to the conclusion that I just won't be saying "Ok Moto Magic" in public. Or even by myself.... making it essentially useless. I'd love to use it though!
    07-25-2013 10:28 PM
    Why not just "open sesame" seems to be more normal of a phrase than the rest! Lol

Posted via Android Central App
    estebancam likes this.
    07-25-2013 10:31 PM
    Am I the only one that thinks that this sounds kind of...... silly?

I mean, the chances of me using that in public are essentially zero. I was trying to sit here and look at my phone and say "Ok Moto Magix" and I just felt a little odd. After saying it, oh, about 10 times, I realized it's the "magic" part that makes it silly. Why can't it be "Ok Motorola" or even "Ok Google." In fact, I would say that for a voice assistant to be effective, the phrase has to be as short as possible. "OK Glass" is a good example. It is short and it addresses what you are speaking to.

I have an HTC One, and boy would I feel kind of silly if I said "Ok HTC Magic" to continue my command.

So I have come to the conclusion that I just won't be saying "Ok Moto Magic" in public. Or even by myself.... making it essentially useless. I'd love to use it though!
    You can change the voice commands.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    karn101 likes this.
    07-25-2013 10:31 PM
    I just want to set it to HELLOMOTO

banesfist, jbruha and AbuYazeedUK like this.
    07-25-2013 10:40 PM
    You can change the voice commands.
    Says who? There's a video of Nilay Patel of The Verge talking to a Motorola employee at the DROID event, and the Motorola employee said that it wouldn't be possible to change the commands.

The commands, like "Okay Google Now," were chosen specifically for their uniqueness so that the phone would be able to easily sense them.
    07-25-2013 10:54 PM
    Why can't it be "Ok Motorola" or even "Ok Google."
    "Okay Google Now" is one of the commands.
    07-25-2013 10:57 PM
    Well I guess I got confused about when they were explains you set the voice commands to sound your voice then I figured you could change the voice command. I will be be saying Google Now anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-25-2013 11:21 PM
    In world where people palm,bump,shake, twist and tilt their phones then why not add couple cute voice commands to brighten up the mobile world we live in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-25-2013 11:29 PM
    Ok Google Now is not bad. But seriously.... I am not saying Ok Moto Magic.

Seriously, who made that up? I want his/her name and his/her phone number and email. lol
    JimBen73 likes this.
    07-25-2013 11:47 PM
    I'm not saying it either. Granted, for the most part, the only "Moto Magic" voice command I could see using would be the one to call itself if I've misplaced it. In general, short of being solo in the car, I can't imagine needing or wanting to use a voice command that Google Now can't handle.
    07-26-2013 09:53 AM
    It would be nice if I could set command to "moto",
    for example "ok moto magic open google maps" >> "moto maps"
    07-26-2013 10:00 AM
    I'm not saying it either. Granted, for the most part, the only "Moto Magic" voice command I could see using would be the one to call itself if I've misplaced it. In general, short of being solo in the car, I can't imagine needing or wanting to use a voice command that Google Now can't handle.
    It looks like it just uses Google Now. The Moto Magic part is just to activate it without touching.
    07-26-2013 11:33 AM
    I think I would be willing to participate in this type of feature if I could change the command to "Wake up stupid"

"Wake up stupid! What's the score of the Sox game?"

I'd still rather just poke the microphone button. I feel like enough of a tool just talking to it at all.
    estebancam likes this.
    07-26-2013 12:51 PM
    To clear up some misinformation floating around in this thread, let me share with you what I've been made aware of from the upcoming Droids that should be using the same voice recognition technology.

The hot phrase to wake up the device will for sure be "Ok Google Now" and not "Ok Moto Magic". Still a little goofy, and still a mouthful, but better than what that leaked video showed.

That phrase is unfortunately not currently customizable. This is due to needing a specific amount of syllables so as to avoid false positives. I was told it's unique enough and sounds smooth enough that it meets all criteria for this feature to work effectively (though I really wanted to change mine to "Hello Moto" as well).

Upon initial use of the feature, you are asked to train the voice recognition so it can not be triggered by anyone but you. From the demo I saw, it is both very sensitive to the words and very accurate in understanding the owners voice.
    estebancam likes this.
    07-26-2013 03:16 PM
    That phrase is unfortunately not currently customizable.
    "Ok Moto Magic" is not customizable or "Ok Google Now" is not? An early demonstration of the Moto X feature indicated that it was customizable on that device.
    07-26-2013 04:22 PM
    "Ok Moto Magic" is not customizable or "Ok Google Now" is not? An early demonstration of the Moto X feature indicated that it was customizable on that device.
    From what I understand, neither. "Ok Moto Magic" as the wake-up phrase has been abandoned in favor of "Ok Google Now" and that phrase can not be changed.
    07-26-2013 04:38 PM
    If "Ok Google Now" can't be changed, it seems that could cause problems for those who are not native English speakers and have a heavy accent. I wonder if, when the phone prompts you to say it, any 5 syllable phrase could become what the phone learns is your voice saying "Ok Google Now", even if it sounds a lot like "Ok computer".
    07-26-2013 06:05 PM
    From what I understand, neither. "Ok Moto Magic" as the wake-up phrase has been abandoned in favor of "Ok Google Now" and that phrase can not be changed.
    On just the Droids or on the Moto X as well? Is there something that states this somewhere?
    07-26-2013 06:25 PM
    On just the Droids or on the Moto X as well? Is there something that states this somewhere?
    The Rogers video indicates that "Ok Google Now" is the wake up phrase for the Moto X. "Ok Google Now" was also used as the wake up phrase at the Droid event.

So it looks like it's the same for both phones.
    jbruha likes this.
    07-26-2013 06:36 PM
    If "Ok Google Now" can't be changed, it seems that could cause problems for those who are not native English speakers and have a heavy accent.
    I guess groundskeeper Willie won't be getting this phone!
    07-28-2013 10:04 AM
    Hopefully this is one of the first things that is changed by independent devs. This is currently the only thing I can think of that would tempt me to root a Moto X. They absolutely have to change this to be customizable (even if the custom hotphrase must fulfill specific requirements), or at least to choose from a variety of options. Some of which are hopefully a little cooler or at least humorous, rather than silly/dorky.
    07-30-2013 06:01 PM
    I just want to be able to change it to "computer"

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    jephanie and Aquila like this.
    07-30-2013 06:11 PM
    I hope the command is changeable. If it is, I'm changing mine to "Thundercats Hoooo"
    07-30-2013 09:09 PM
    I hope the command is changeable. If it is, I'm changing mine to "Thundercats Hoooo"
    No way, it's got to be, "wonder twin powers...activate!"

Aquila and cbatiste1993 like this.
    07-30-2013 11:17 PM
    "Riddle me this"
    07-31-2013 01:22 AM
31 12