08-03-2013 09:06 AM
70 123
tools
    And at the same price and releasing a few months after the s4/one near the next iPhone and nexus, it really needs "better"
    This part I agree with, I would have preferred it to try to compete with the Q3/Q4 devices that are coming (LG G2, Nexus, etc), but there is no deviation from previous years where they simply match the current flagships. The Razr HD was almost an S3 (better in some ways, worse than others, easy to call it a tie).

Processor is worse there is no denying
    On paper it is, but the performance so far sounds better in terms of how fast it actually operates. Again, that's most likely due to software rather than the processor itself, and as you pointed out pushing less pixels, etc. That's probably another reason for the 24 hour battery life they're quoting, as opposed to the 8 or so expected from an S4.

This is by no means the phone to beat all phones, I'm arguing that it's not the junk pile device that people are labeling it.
    maxman1 likes this.
    08-01-2013 06:52 PM
    Android Authority did their own opinion piece on how the Moto ranked against the current "top 5 devices", categories being battery, display, cpu, software and camera. Here are their results:

HTC One vs Moto X: HTC One by 1 category
    Samsung Galaxy S4 vs Moto X: Samsung Galaxy S4 by 2 categories
    Sony Xperia Z vs Moto X: Sony Xperia Z by 1 category
    LG Nexus 4 vs Moto X: Moto X by 3 categories
    Apple iPhone 5 vs Moto X: Moto X by 2 categories
    08-01-2013 07:23 PM
    Actually there are reports coming out now that the CPU is a Krait 300 (thats the chip used in the S600 that the SGS4 uses) so not the same chip that's in the SGS3 as people were initially expecting. Then you can factor in the 2 dedicated cpu's for language and notification/sensors and you can really offload some of the work the main cpu's have to do. Finally since its a 720p screen instead of 1080p, you need a lot less horsepower to run that so the end result is the X actually beating the S4 in many benchmarks.

I am really curious though what the battery life is like in real world testing.....how badly would listening to music all day be, how fast would using navigation kill the battery, etc...
    08-01-2013 07:31 PM
    Now that I see Big Red isn't getting a32g version guess I'll go with the S4 really wanted this liked the look .
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-01-2013 08:04 PM
    What's terrible about the Moto X price is that you can get MUCH better options for less money.

The Optimus G pro has nearly the same specs as the Galaxy S4 and HTC One (1.7ghz Snapdragon 600, 2gb Ram, 32gb storage, 5.5 inch display, 13MP rear-facing camera and 2.1MP front camera, 3140mah battery, wireless charging, IR Remote Control, SD-Card slot). It costs $439 off contract from AT&T.

:O
    Roundpotato and benhmadison like this.
    08-01-2013 08:22 PM
    For your money, you can do much better. $199 on contract, you can get a better HTC One, Samsung S4, or etc.
    The One is not well built and the s4 is cheap, laggy, buggy...
    08-01-2013 08:46 PM
    The *NEXUS* Line is the *Flagship* Line.
    The Motorola Line is.... well?... the? .. eh?? it's Google's! eh.... Duh..? .... Filler Line! Yeah! That's what it is!!! The Filler Line! or.. is it the Ripoff Line?.. oooops! I didn't mean that..
    Did I ???
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 02:54 AM
    The One is not well built and the s4 is cheap, laggy, buggy...
    And Moto X is ridiculously inferior specced.
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 03:06 AM
    And Moto X is ridiculously inferior specced.
    Have you read anything about the underlying architecture? This phone tests right up with s4 and beats it in some cases.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-02-2013 03:15 AM
    So you're blaming Verizon for other carriers pricing?
    No. I'm saying that Verizon is the one that orders the phones they offer to there customers. If they choose to not bring in a phone or to not offer you customization or a bigger storage option then that is Verizons fault. This whole argument about exclusivity is stupid. It's like blaming Toshiba if Walmart doesn't offer the TV you want.
    08-02-2013 08:15 AM
    I don't know while I think people like us here on this forum look at specs and say no thanks I think there is a huge portion of the population that loves aesthetics and gimmicky software so I bet the customization will pull in a lot of people. There are a lot of people who buy iphones purely because they have the look. At least it would pull people into a more stock android experience. It's a mainstream phone not an enthusiast phone and most people don't even know what ppi is.
    I completely agree and it's obvious what Moto is trying to do with this device. They want to make it appealing to the casual iphone type consumers who are drawn in by colors or what their friends have. The problem in my opinion is I really don't see any of the casual market they are aiming for being drawn to a device priced the same as the iphone. Forget full retail for a moment (power users like us are really the only ones that even pay attention to full retail) if they had priced this at 99 bucks with a 2 year and allowed the customization for ALL CARRIERS from the first day of availability, I think they could have really penetrated the market they were looking to reach. I think it would have also been a good idea to spend some of that 500 million on customization kiosks to put in carrier retail stores where the customer can interactively design their phone right their in the store and have it shipped to their door 4 days later. I think the idea in general behind this device was good but I think that between pricing and carrier exclusives they may see it tank compared to expectations.
    cgardnervt and RenoD2010 like this.
    08-02-2013 08:22 AM
    I completely agree and it's obvious what Moto is trying to do with this device. They want to make it appealing to the casual iphone type consumers who are drawn in by colors or what their friends have. The problem in my opinion is I really don't see any of the casual market they are aiming for being drawn to a device priced the same as the iphone. Forget full retail for a moment (power users like us are really the only ones that even pay attention to full retail) if they had priced this at 99 bucks with a 2 year and allowed the customization for ALL CARRIERS from the first day of availability, I think they could have really penetrated the market they were looking to reach. I think it would have also been a good idea to spend some of that 500 million on customization kiosks to put in carrier retail stores where the customer can interactively design their phone right their in the store and have it shipped to their door 4 days later. I think the idea in general behind this device was good but I think that between pricing and carrier exclusives they may see it tank compared to expectations.
    Well said.
    08-02-2013 09:10 AM
    There is a lot of hate going towards Motorola right now and all of it quite valid. The biggest blunder was the cpu. I get where they want this to be a Flagship device. Many of the software and low power innovations are. Where they screwed the pooch was in the pricing, exclusivity to ATT and CPU. If they had either priced it as a midrange with by all respects it is. That would have seen sales soar. Then that darn exclusivity with ATT. Yes, Yes, we know it's only probably a month. That said, that month is crucial for them. To go and hamstring themselves this way is atrocious. Then with that CPU. anyway you cut it they scrimped here to save money. Granted it doesn't have to work as hard with those extra dsp's. That won't save it a year from now when the performance needs are greater. They could have saved themselves a world of **** hurt by putting in an S600. Even if they didn't need to have all the cores at this time. They could have still run them like the dual core. Then after a year if need be open the cpu cores to full to keep pace. People would have been happy knowing that for the 2 years they would have the phone it would still be great. As it is now that is a very very big question.
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 10:55 AM
    I get where they want this to be a Flagship device.
    Actually, from what I've read, this was never intended to be promoted as a flagship device. I think as a business, Googarolla is trying to gain marketshare in the same way the original Kindle Fire and original Wii did: adequate specs, good price and something unique (i.e. 7" screen/Amazon integration and motion controllers for the Wii).

The X got one and three but seems to have fumbled No. 2.

From my LG Optimus G E970 using AC Forums mobile app.
    08-02-2013 11:36 AM
    Actually, from what I've read, this was never intended to be promoted as a flagship device.
    I've read in several places that the intent with this phone was for it to be the flagship of the new Motorola. And hell, just yesterday they announced that lower priced X products would be on the way.
    08-02-2013 11:40 AM
    Moto should have released it last year to compete with the S3.
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 02:54 PM
    People keep saying "the average consumer doesn't care about specs".. I disagree.

for example, I don't consider myself a washer machine fanatic. But before I buy one I am going to check the web for information about it from people that do know about them before I buy one.

I don't think I am the only one that researches major purchases online before buying, and someone who doesn't care as much as the average forum user, is still going to see that this phone is 199 and midrange specs if they read basically anything about it in any article, from any site.
    Roundpotato and somdave2005 like this.
    08-02-2013 04:45 PM
    I've read in several places that the intent with this phone was for it to be the flagship of the new Motorola. And hell, just yesterday they announced that lower priced X products would be on the way.
    Lol. I give up. Can't keep track of all the reports. I'll just stay away from this topic until the 7th.

From my LG Optimus G E970 using AC Forums mobile app.
    08-02-2013 06:44 PM
    On Amazon off contract, verizon atleast the GS3 is about 550. And the bootloaders are unlockable except on att and verizon, and theirs also devolper editions for all you nerds. :P jk. And the only thing gimicky on the phone is the camera twist, yet that'll probably be used unlike all the smart pause, scrolls, and ect on the gs4.
    And everyone saying off-contract should've been Nexus 4 Playstore like, their actually losing money on that I think, but google is paying to make that happen. Honestly if you expected the Moto X to be say $200-300 off-contract, you're lying to yourself.
    08-03-2013 12:03 AM
    On Amazon off contract, verizon atleast the GS3 is about 550. And the bootloaders are unlockable except on att and verizon, and theirs also devolper editions for all you nerds. :P jk. And the only thing gimicky on the phone is the camera twist, yet that'll probably be used unlike all the smart pause, scrolls, and ect on the gs4.
    And everyone saying off-contract should've been Nexus 4 Playstore like, their actually losing money on that I think, but google is paying to make that happen. Honestly if you expected the Moto X to be say $200-300 off-contract, you're lying to yourself.
    I only care about on contract price, and this phone should be $99.
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-03-2013 09:06 AM
70 123