(the bad) $199 on contract, $575 off contract, locked bootloader, customizing/32gb AT&T only, bloat

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: (the bad) $199 on contract, locked bootloader, customizing *and* 32gb is AT&T only

The common problem here is Verizon. They limit your options

cbatiste1993

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: (the bad) $199 on contract, locked bootloader, customizing *and* 32gb is AT&T only

I'm a bit confused. I've seen about six different headlines (including Forbes) stating a $299 OFF contract starting price.

From my LG Optimus G E970 using AC Forums mobile app.

I don't see that anywhere, only places that said $299 off contract were rumors

Sent from my HTC One XL using AC Forums mobile app

bandityo

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site

FAIL Motorola....wanted to get one off contract for better pricing.....guess we can all just wait 2-3 months then they will drop it to where the specs place it....

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: $199 on contract, customizing *and* 32gb is AT&T only

Judging from the comments, and my own personal feelings, some of us are not upset at the specs (which are pretty close to my GS3 which I absolutely love and is quick enough for anything), we're upset that the price point does not MATCH the specs. This phone would be awesome off-contract at $299 and I'd have one ordered the second it was available. I'm not, however, going to spend premium prices for a mid-range phone. Tha'ts what some of us are upset about.

edited to add: I also dislike carrier exclusives. It's not something I expected Google to pull. Also, being on Verizon, I don't hold out any hope for relief through Play Store means.

People were expecting "innovations like have never been seen before on Android" (to paraphrase a few of the tech media) in order to make up for the already leaked mid-range specs. Well, the cat is out of the bag and we're not seeing anything all that amazing. This reminds me of the TouchWiz features announced earlier this year with the S4. The word "gimmicks" does cross my mind.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

ho . . hum. I wonder how this compares to the LG G2?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

droidlife wrote a stupid article and i was surprised since they write good article most of the time!!!

almost every Phones that get released has locked bootloader and every phone should come that way for security.

even Nexus 4,7 and 10 has locked bootloader but is it unlockable is the question??

cbatiste1993

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

From The Verge, they're saying that AT&T says the off contract prices are $575 and $630 respectively

Sent from my HTC One XL using AC Forums mobile app

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

People were expecting "innovations like have never been seen before on Android" (to paraphrase a few of the tech media) in order to make up for the already leaked mid-range specs. Well, the cat is out of the bag and we're not seeing anything all that amazing. This reminds me of the TouchWiz features announced earlier this year with the S4. The word "gimmicks" does cross my mind.

"Some" people might have been expecting innovations. There is literally nothing "innovative" left to do on the software side- see Samsung and the need for ever-less-useful software gimmicks on each iteration of the Galaxy. My desire for cutting edge has changed within the past year- at this point all I want a phone with a nice screen, great cell radio, great battery life, and enough specs to play any app or game on Play without a hiccup, at $350 or so off-contract. That's the perfect phone for me. I don't care if it's made of aluminum, fossil, plastic, has a 20-core IBM "Watson" SOC, blah blah blah.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

as a motorola fanboy, and a google fanboy.. let me just say this: this phone SUCKS.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

So AT&T has said $575 off contract for 16gb (OP updated with story link)

I guess the last step is to see what Google/Moto sell them for directly...the last thing that could save this purchase for me is some reasonable off-contract pricing on verizon.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Look at the previous contract price of the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile (~$200), or even the current price - $442 from the carrier and $299 from playstore.

The Nexus 4 was never that expensive on-contract. It wavered between free and $100 on T-Mobile.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

as a motorola fanboy, and a google fanboy.. let me just say this: this phone SUCKS.

How is it different from the Mini that you said you'd be getting? Neither have s800s, btw, which you said was a requirement for your next phone.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

The Nexus 4 was never that expensive on-contract. It wavered between free and $100 on T-Mobile.

That's an off contract price....Just like the N4 from play store has no contract. Why would he compare a contract price to something off contract?

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

So given that this phone on contract costs fairly close to an HTC One or S4, what exactly is it bringing to the table that equals those phones in terms of hardware? Because this promise we've all been hearing about amazing innovations to make up for the mid-range specs doesn't appear to have materialized.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

That's an off contract price....Just like the N4 from play store has no contract. Why would he compare a contract price to something off contract?

I think the point he was trying to make was that it's possible to have a phone that's $199 on-contract and $299 off-contract because it's happened before; I was just pointing out that no, it hasn't happened before.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

How is it different from the Mini that you said you'd be getting? Neither have s800s, btw, which you said was a requirement for your next phone.

for starters its 100 dollars more on contract. it was suppose to be nexus like its nothing like that. its pretty much worse than the mini and 100 dollars more.

its weak in power for its price point, its not even coming with 4.3 and its got bloatware, and the biggest feature of customizing is an ATT exclusive?

yea the phone sucks. and frankly the mini isnt great by any means. very dissapointed in motorola right now.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

it was suppose to be nexus like its nothing like that.

Supposed to be Nexus-like according to whom, though?

The only people who had that expectation were people buying into and/or creating that rumor.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I think the point he was trying to make was that it's possible to have a phone that's $199 on-contract and $299 off-contract because it's happened before; I was just pointing out that no, it hasn't happened before.

Nah, he was making the point that buying directly from Google is cheaper than from a carrier. Just because AT&T charges $575 for the phone off contract doesn't mean that Google will. Like with what T-Mo did, they originally iirc charged $500 for the N4 and yet you can get it right from Google for $350.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513