(the bad) $199 on contract, $575 off contract, locked bootloader, customizing/32gb AT&T only, bloat

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: (the bad) $199 on contract, $575 off contract, locked bootloader, customizing/32gb AT&T only, bl

Lol just droping in to say that i called all of this. From the locked bootloader to the price to the fact that this is nothing more than a variation of the droid phones just released. Posted all of this in the original rumor threads... Moto is a very predictable one. No matter who owns them.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: (the bad) $199 on contract, $575 off contract, locked bootloader, customizing/32gb AT&T only, bl

Haha def not worth it. Moto fail.

Sent from my HTC One

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

anyways, moving on. now that moto has failed most people, whats next in line? fall is coming up soon, shall we expect the next nexus and/or OS announcement?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: $199 on contract, customizing *and* 32gb is AT&T only

Phone is the price of a phone... am I missing something? It has a lesser screen than the 1080p devices, stronger hardware otherwise and arguably (on quantity of) much better software. Wireless charging would have been cool.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Phone is the price of a phone... am I missing something? It has a lesser screen than the 1080p devices, stronger hardware otherwise and arguably (on quantity of) much better software. Wireless charging would have been cool.

Where does it have stronger hardware otherwise?

Sent from my SCH-I535

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Where does it have stronger hardware otherwise?

Sent from my SCH-I535

Camera, battery (both alleged, have not been tested in real world yet, but both are said to be vastly superior), correct button configuration, and despite being based on a dual core S4, the X8 is looking like it provides a faster device, though that is probably more software related than directly a result of the hardware. I'm not saying the Moto X beats the S4 hands down, but they're definitely in the same conversation.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

What I keep thinking is that the Droids are the last of the old Motorola and the X is the start of the new Motorola. From what we know so far, I think I'd rather move forward rather than stick with the past, especially since I'll probably have this phone for two years.

While it seems that way from everything you hear the phones are pretty much the same. The same chip, same Ram, same software. The Droids have a bigger screen and the Maxx a bigger battery and 32GB. So on Verizon I would choice the Maxx over the X.

Posted via Android Central App

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Camera, battery (both alleged, have not been tested in real world yet, but both are said to be vastly superior), correct button configuration, and despite being based on a dual core S4, the X8 is looking like it provides a faster device, though that is probably more software related than directly a result of the hardware. I'm not saying the Moto X beats the S4 hands down, but they're definitely in the same conversation.

Processor is worse there is no denying(though only having 720p sure helps things), camera is a complete unknown at this point(though it has 2 less mp), battery is smaller, no SD support, screen will more than likely be bad(referring to color mostly, it's amoled which is a big let down)

Lol there is nothing it has better hardware on. There are some places it could match, but not exceed. It is in the same conversation, but not in any way "better". And at the same price and releasing a few months after the s4/one near the next iPhone and nexus, it really needs "better"

Sent from my SCH-I535

Edit: and only 16gig if you are anyone other than att is probably the biggest fault...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

And at the same price and releasing a few months after the s4/one near the next iPhone and nexus, it really needs "better"

This part I agree with, I would have preferred it to try to compete with the Q3/Q4 devices that are coming (LG G2, Nexus, etc), but there is no deviation from previous years where they simply match the current flagships. The Razr HD was almost an S3 (better in some ways, worse than others, easy to call it a tie).

Processor is worse there is no denying

On paper it is, but the performance so far sounds better in terms of how fast it actually operates. Again, that's most likely due to software rather than the processor itself, and as you pointed out pushing less pixels, etc. That's probably another reason for the 24 hour battery life they're quoting, as opposed to the 8 or so expected from an S4.

This is by no means the phone to beat all phones, I'm arguing that it's not the junk pile device that people are labeling it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Android Authority did their own opinion piece on how the Moto ranked against the current "top 5 devices", categories being battery, display, cpu, software and camera. Here are their results:

HTC One vs Moto X: HTC One by 1 category
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs Moto X: Samsung Galaxy S4 by 2 categories
Sony Xperia Z vs Moto X: Sony Xperia Z by 1 category
LG Nexus 4 vs Moto X: Moto X by 3 categories
Apple iPhone 5 vs Moto X: Moto X by 2 categories

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Actually there are reports coming out now that the CPU is a Krait 300 (thats the chip used in the S600 that the SGS4 uses) so not the same chip that's in the SGS3 as people were initially expecting. Then you can factor in the 2 dedicated cpu's for language and notification/sensors and you can really offload some of the work the main cpu's have to do. Finally since its a 720p screen instead of 1080p, you need a lot less horsepower to run that so the end result is the X actually beating the S4 in many benchmarks.

I am really curious though what the battery life is like in real world testing.....how badly would listening to music all day be, how fast would using navigation kill the battery, etc...

curley1441

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Now that I see Big Red isn't getting a32g version guess I'll go with the S4 really wanted this liked the look .

anon(5982890)

May 12, 2013
Visit site

What's terrible about the Moto X price is that you can get MUCH better options for less money.

The Optimus G pro has nearly the same specs as the Galaxy S4 and HTC One (1.7ghz Snapdragon 600, 2gb Ram, 32gb storage, 5.5 inch display, 13MP rear-facing camera and 2.1MP front camera, 3140mah battery, wireless charging, IR Remote Control, SD-Card slot). It costs $439 off contract from AT&T.

:O

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

The *NEXUS* Line is the *Flagship* Line.
The Motorola Line is.... well?... the? .. eh?? it's Google's! eh.... Duh..? .... Filler Line! Yeah! That's what it is!!! The Filler Line! or.. is it the Ripoff Line?.. oooops! I didn't mean that..
Did I ???

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: (the bad) $199 on contract, locked bootloader, customizing *and* 32gb is AT&T only

So you're blaming Verizon for other carriers pricing?

No. I'm saying that Verizon is the one that orders the phones they offer to there customers. If they choose to not bring in a phone or to not offer you customization or a bigger storage option then that is Verizons fault. This whole argument about exclusivity is stupid. It's like blaming Toshiba if Walmart doesn't offer the TV you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37