What has Google just done?!?

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it is worse than Apple. At least Apple includes some premium materials and software that runs smoothly on the lower specs. We all know Android isn't going to run smooth on the Moto X and the screen is really bad.
You can't be more wrong.

bigkevbosky

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I knew with all the hype that the Moto X would be a let down, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I'm really shocked at how "meh" the whole thing seems. I don't need super cutting edge high graphic HD octa core specs to make me want a new phone, but nothing about the Moto X really says "I'm the one phone you need for 2 years".

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
why do we need a google edition of the first phone produced with google at the helm of a manufacturer.. a phone that launches on 5 carriers..

And, why would anyone want a Google edition of a phone that the whole package is the custom software that it runs?
Phil mentioned it in the podcast today, nobody at Motorola told us there would be a Google Play edition. I know Phil well enough to be certain he asked :)

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
And, why would anyone want a Google edition of a phone that the whole package is the custom software that it runs?
Phil mentioned it in the podcast today, nobody at Motorola told us there would be a Google Play edition. I know Phil well enough to be certain he asked :)

Not saying he's wrong, but virtually every other tech site is reporting that a Google Play edition is forthcoming. Seems odd that they're ALL just making it up.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I would honestly recommend this to almost all of my relatives (at least once the customization option lands on their respective carriers). I do agree that lowering the price point would help - but I don't think you can easily claim your device is better than the iPhone if you are selling it for half the price on contract. And remember, carriers don't really want that either. If they are going to get promotional deals and floor space allocations from any U.S. carriers, they can't really undercut the entire business model right out of the bat (no matter how much I want to see that happen).

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't even think this phone is in the same category as the iphone. Its a tank. 4.7 inch screen and 10mm thick put it in the big phone category and not in the same category as the iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

Lol... yeah, the screen is big, but the phone itself is not much larger than the iPhone. And it's 5mm thin in some parts...

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Not saying he's wrong, but virtually every other tech site is reporting that a Google Play edition is forthcoming. Seems odd that they're ALL just making it up.
Their only source is the Verge though. So it seems like the Verge was the only one that heard there was a google play edition. I trust Phil more than the Verge though.

Denelor

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Or I was, until I saw it was a carrier phone.

This is the problem with it, above all else. My wife needs a new phone and I was going to get her this because the size is what she wants, because it was (rumored) to be available from Google Play for all carriers and because of the customization options. Since we're on Verizon I'll be waiting to see what the next Nexus has in store and then compare the two and the new Droids.

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
This is the problem with it, above all else. My wife needs a new phone and I was going to get her this because the size is what she wants, because it was (rumored) to be available from Google Play for all carriers and because of the customization options. Since we're on Verizon I'll be waiting to see what the next Nexus has in store and then compare the two and the new Droids.

If size is what she wants I can give her my number ;)

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So Google is spending $500 to market the X. In other words they are going to market the hell out of an underwhelming, outdated phone that didn't deliver on the hype.

Holy crap, we just watched Google turn into Apple.

Lol. Sure, if anything by Moto was as good as the iPhone. But alas, it's not.

So Google made a new phone with input from Larry and Sergei and the geniuses at Moto made the same **** deals they've always made with the same **** carriers.

Google should be ashamed.

Posted via Android Central App

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree my anger has subsided a bit now. I can see how this phone is good for motorola and google as a competitor to the iphone.

I do think the new iphone is going to make the power comparisons no longer viable. moto x is not the phone for me unless I find it on amazon or wirefly for cheaper than whatever they sell the droid mini for.

If my wife wasn't expecting twins by the end of the year and I could not be so shrude with my money I would just wait for the LG G2 and pay whatever they want for it.

Good luck with the Twins Philly! I've got twin boys that turn 1 yr old tomorrow.....not to depress you but it's rough!

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Just to put it to rest, watched the Leo Laporte interview with Guy Kawasaki from Motorola and he absolutely confirmed that there will be a Google Play Edition of this coming.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just to put it to rest, watched the Leo Laporte interview with Guy Kawasaki from Motorola and he absolutely confirmed that there will be a Google Play Edition of this coming.

Based on the pricing of the GE ONE and S4(basically the same price as the regular versions) the Google play edition of the Moto X will be at least 549 which is way too much.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Sorry if I don't believe the guy who works for motorola but says he doesn't even know the off contact price and isn't sure of how many colors are available. Moto is a bunch of clowns and I don't think anyone there knows what they are talking about.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So Google is spending $500 to market the X. In other words they are going to market the hell out of an underwhelming, outdated phone that didn't deliver on the hype.

Holy crap, we just watched Google turn into Apple.

No we just found where the Google and Moto stand which ended day it is still a Moto company without any Google perks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The specs on the phone are a little disappointing, but the biggest disappointment is more of this carrier exclusitivity crap. Why is there only one carrier than can have it in Canada? Why does only AT&T get the larger size in the U.S. (again, just like on the HTC One)? Why do they get the different colors with Verizon getting them only later and who knows about the other carriers? This exclusitivity stuff needs to go the way of the dinosaurs. All it does is annoy customers. And if you are doing that in a service based business, then you are doing something wrong.