What has Google just done?!?

Cretz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using a Galaxy Nexus and waited to see what Motorola revealed today. It does seem like they are focusing more on features and actual usage, not horsepower and getting high benchmarks scores. I am either going to get the Moto X or the S4. The always listening feature on the Moto X looks really nice, if it does work as advertised. On my GNexus, whenever I launch Google Now there seems to always be some lag. Furthermore, launching Google Now is a pain. The S4, although a fast phone, is still burdened by having to launch Google Now by hitting the little mic icon like every other phone.

Overall performance is an issue as well. The benchmarks show the Moto X on par with or exceeding the fastest phone available currently, the S4. I think the architecture of the CPU means more than the number of processors. We'll see once more reviewers get their hands on it and do comparisons. Either way it will outperform my Gnex.

Battery life is the next big consideration for me. I always have to carry an extra battery with me while using my Nexus. On the stock battery on an average day (when I leave the house) I'm lucky if it lasts 12 hours. If the Moto X will last the advertised 24 hours on a full charge, to hell with replaceable batteries. I'd much prefer not having to swap out batteries to begin with.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Overall performance is an issue as well. The benchmarks show the Moto X on par with or exceeding the fastest phone available currently, the S4. I think the architecture of the CPU means more than the number of processors. We'll see once more reviewers get their hands on it and do comparisons. Either way it will outperform my Gnex.

One if these days everyone will realize how useless benchmarks are and how easy it is to trick them into giving higher scores than what is reflected in real world usage.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Saw the price and I was whaaaaat. Lets face it, the tech crowds influence alot of tech purchases (cue the nexus 4). Lets face it, would you recommend this phone to a friend or a family member over the HTC one or the s4? Be honest now.
At the 300-400$ range, this would have sold out and have people lining out of bestbuy to get it.
Now, its just a meeh device. Too little for the money it's asking

Posted via Android Central App
Already said to my non techy dad to get this.

niko_orsini

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
It's so clear, to me, that Motorola is still run by Motorola and not Google. The Moto X is a clear example.

Also, a Google Play Edition? Really, Motorola?

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
So Google is spending $500 to market the X. In other words they are going to market the hell out of an underwhelming, outdated phone that didn't deliver on the hype.

Holy crap, we just watched Google turn into Apple.

I think it is worse than Apple. At least Apple includes some premium materials and software that runs smoothly on the lower specs. We all know Android isn't going to run smooth on the Moto X and the screen is really bad.

Just because it doesn't have a quad-core processor doesn't make it outdated :p it has much much more to do with the software optimization plus the moto x does have some really cool features and a 720p rgb super smoked is hardly "really bad" unless you are part hawk or eagle I really doubt your going to notice a whole lot of difference between it and a newer 1080p display.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Just because it doesn't have a quad-core processor doesn't make it outdated :p it has much much more to do with the software optimization plus the moto x does have some really cool features and a 720p rgb super smoked is hardly "really bad" unless you are part hawk or eagle I really doubt your going to notice a whole lot of difference between it and a newer 1080p display.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Common sense, can it be?

Posted via Android Central App

rico college

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with Jerry, a Google play edition of this phone would be pointless. A Google play G4 would be a much better choice.

I was really hoping Moto could bounce back on Sprint after the "photon" disaster but I see some things never change.

I will just have to continue my love affair with my trusty galaxy s3, rocking CM 10.1, until the note 3 releases.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This phone is ultimately a test of Moto's marketing research. The whole phone was design to appeal to the everyday consumer, with decisions driven by what consumers would and would not use in a phone. They decided against going the ultra-premium look of HTC and the kitchen sink approach of Samsung. We'll see if their new strategy pans out. As for price, yeah, $200 on contract is a little pricey when compared spec-for-spec to the HTC One or Galaxy S4, but from everything I've read, in person the phone feels and works as a premium device. If it really is designed for the average consumer, that will matter far more than bigger numbers on some spec card. I also wouldn't be surprised if it dropped in price to $100 on contract (or less) in two months time, to compete with the new iPhone if nothing else.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone complaining about price??????????????
before they announced anything... what did the people say....
"I will support american made products" and now what..... we just get complainers....
Hate to break it to you... but if its made here, it probably will cost more.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone complaining about price??????????????
before they announced anything... what did the people say....
"I will support american made products" and now what..... we just get complainers....
Hate to break it to you... but if its made here, it probably will cost more.

That's exactly why nothing is made here anymore. Everybody wants cheap crap.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Not all cheap things are crap, just saying. I think people were expecting to see something along the lines of nexus 4 pricing, and that's why a lot if people are disappointed or upset. That's just my two cents.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's so clear, to me, that Motorola is still run by Motorola and not Google. The Moto X is a clear example.

Also, a Google Play Edition? Really, Motorola?

Actually, its a clear example of the opposite. Google wouldn't even let them start planning for the X until they had data to support the features they wanted. That is google through and through.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So Google is spending $500 to market the X. In other words they are going to market the hell out of an underwhelming, outdated phone that didn't deliver on the hype.

Holy crap, we just watched Google turn into Apple.

Apple doesn't put low end hardware and outdated stuff.

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. This guy is either insane,drunk or a varying mixture of both:)

It's okay, I think he got on board and bought the Droid Ultra. It's pretty much a 16GB Moto X with a slightly bigger screen, less PPI, some Droid features the X doesn't have and a boxier kevlar material set.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Apple doesn't put low end hardware and outdated stuff.

Considering neither Apple's software nor their hardware has evolved all that far from the first iPhone, I don't think I would agree on the outdated part. Yes there have been changes and improvements here and there, but mostly they just put in a faster chip and better camera each time. When I think of an iPhone, I just don't think of state of the art these days. I keep hoping they will change that, but each year I get disappointed. Maybe this year they will step it up a little. I would like to see more innovation from them. Innovation that I know they are capable of. But right now I feel that Motorola and others are pushing the envelope and trying new things and doing what Apple should be doing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree that Apple is pushing the philosophy of refinement rather than innovation recently. I also want to see that change because in a duopolist market, one player sitting back causes the entire market to grow stagnate.