What has Google just done?!?

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Full multitasking. No safari tab limit, vaster sharing API,more camera API's, control centre, siri can now toggle Bluetooth,WiFi, 3G etc, much more reliable Siri, pulls from more sourcrs , do not disturb mode now can be active while the screen is on. 60fps video recording plus leaks suggest 120fps possibly for slow motion video mode. Swipe with one finger to go back throughout the whole OS. Brand new physics engine. Unlimited apps in folders. Much better redesigned camera app. Redesigned(and more feature full) Safari. Open GL bump.

That's just all I can think the top of my head. If you guys looked past the redesign you would see a vastly improved iOS. But you guys don't.

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)

Thanks for the information. I haven't paid it much attention since a week after it was announced and was honestly trying to figure out what it actually brought to the table.

Of these I'm really interested by what you mean by "Swipe with one finger to go back through entire OS". I assume you mean that swiping will function as a back button, but it would be great if it was something like Swipepad or one of the other apps to navigate through favorite apps with ease.

I really don't understand what the point of having Siri be able to control settings toggles at the same time of implementing the settings control panel. If you already have to press on the home button wouldn't it make more sense just to swipe up from the bottom of the screen and tap the Bluetooth toggle?

There still seems to be the features missing that I rely on that negate any desire I'd have to switch back to iPhone, but I'm VERY glad that at least it looks like Apple did end up actually making changes to benefit the users by making their use of the phone more complete.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying android didn't have most of those features. But saying iOS 7 is a small upgrade and only improvement is aesthetics, that's what pisses me off.

Oh I would NEVER say iOS7 is an improvment in aesthetics. It looks very garish to me. I do not like the colors.

As for the other things on the list, many of those things should have been there from the start. Number of items in a folder? No Safari tab limit? Access to the toggles without wading through the menus? Really? Why were these things even an issue to begin with?

bryansiegel

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably not going to win any popularity contests but this video from Marcus Browning is a really good summary of why the features are there and how 200 is a reasonable asking price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZX8graseUQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also from what I've seen is the motox has 8 cores and is no slouch. The only reason that I'm holding out are updates (I've been burned too many times by Android phones that never received a single update) and the fact that I'm on tmo.

I will happily pay 200 for this phone.

The biggest flaw hardware wise has been the camera. For me I value shutter speed over quality. I know this sounds crazy but let me explain. I have kids and they do crazy crap at random times. My photos tend to live for an hour or so because all that I do is post the pics to Facebook. I just need a good enough camera.

Posted via Android Central App

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Oh I would NEVER say iOS7 is an improvment in aesthetics. It looks very garish to me. I do not like the colors.

As for the other things on the list, many of those things should have been there from the start. Number of items in a folder? No Safari tab limit? Access to the toggles without wading through the menus? Really? Why were these things even an issue to begin with?

But the point is that these functions were not available in prior versions of iOS so it's good that they included them now. They just aren't features that would woo an Android user into making the switch.

It goes to show that there are actual improvements in iOS7 instead of nothing more than an arguably poorer visual aesthetic.

- - - Updated - - -

But the point is that these functions were not available in prior versions of iOS so it's good that they included them now. They just aren't features that would woo an Android user into making the switch.

It goes to show that there are actual improvements in iOS7 instead of nothing more than an arguably poorer visual aesthetic.

UtahRoadie

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have had my Moto X for about 24 hours and I have to say I am extremely impressed. From the first time you hold it in your hand, it screams quality and using it does nothing but enhance that first impression. I moved to it from an S4, which I moved to from an iPhone 5. While I love my S4, I am liking this one even better. It is quick, smooth and not crowded with bells and whistles. I think that the Moto X and a Nexus 7 might have the possibility of weaning me from my Apple addiction.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I haven't paid it much attention since a week after it was announced and was honestly trying to figure out what it actually brought to the table.

Of these I'm really interested by what you mean by "Swipe with one finger to go back through entire OS". I assume you mean that swiping will function as a back button, but it would be great if it was something like Swipepad or one of the other apps to navigate through favorite apps with ease.

I really don't understand what the point of having Siri be able to control settings toggles at the same time of implementing the settings control panel. If you already have to press on the home button wouldn't it make more sense just to swipe up from the bottom of the screen and tap the Bluetooth toggle?

There still seems to be the features missing that I rely on that negate any desire I'd have to switch back to iPhone, but I'm VERY glad that at least it looks like Apple did end up actually making changes to benefit the users by making their use of the phone more complete.

Yes swipe to go back is like the back button.

I have been in situations where I don't wanna unlock my nexus 4 then slide down with two fingers to toggle(driving for example) in this scenario I can keep looking at the road hold down the Home button Siri pops up and I can tell it to toggle something off. That to me is priceless and Google Now absolutely cannot touch the drive less functionality. You hear reports about Siri being inaccurate but Apple honestly have improved the servers I don't care what fans droids have to say I noticed a massive improvement with the iphone 5 and the new Siri servers

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I disagree COMPLETLY with your assessment. Let me guess, you saw a few pics on it. Saw it was made by Apple and you decided to start bashing it right?:rolls eyes)

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I disagree COMPLETLY with your assessment. Let me guess, you saw a few pics on it. Saw it was made by Apple and you decided to start bashing it right?:rolls eyes)

Let me guess, you read one little post by me that was crtical of something I don't like and decided to bash me over it all the while being completely oblivious to the fact that I own many Apple products including the iPad that I am typing this on right now. I wouldn't have Apple products in my house if I didn't like them. But that doesn't mean that everything they do appeals to me. The color pallette they have chosen IS ugly to me. That's the key part..TO ME. Color is subjective so please don't assume that everyone likes the same colors as you do. Also don't assume that others are an Android fan boy (or Apple one for that matter). There's a reason my user name is GADGETGator, not AndroidApe or AppleAlligator. I'm a technology enthusiant.Not a fan boy, so don't assume things. (rolls eyes)

Dan Rucker

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
So Google is spending $500 to market the X. In other words they are going to market the hell out of an underwhelming, outdated phone that didn't deliver on the hype.

Holy crap, we just watched Google turn into Apple.

Use the phone and you will think differently. I just replaced my Galaxy Nexus with it and I have no regrets what so ever.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have had my Moto X for about 24 hours and I have to say I am extremely impressed. From the first time you hold it in your hand, it screams quality and using it does nothing but enhance that first impression. I moved to it from an S4, which I moved to from an iPhone 5. While I love my S4, I am liking this one even better. It is quick, smooth and not crowded with bells and whistles. I think that the Moto X and a Nexus 7 might have the possibility of weaning me from my Apple addiction.

Glad to know you like it. I am glad Moto is providing a viable option for any carrier.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Devaluing the Moto X as an enthusiast device due to its specs may be justifiable to some, but devaluing the Moto X as a consumer device based on specs ? without acknowledging the consumer- and experience-focused reasoning behind Google's and Motorola's decisions ? does nothing for discussion. It seems like there are two discussions in the same debate: how the Moto X is positioned for consumers, and how the Moto X is positioned for enthusiasts. One point of debate may have different meanings in each context. For example, the pixel control and power usage properties of the AMOLED may present significant benefit to consumers through functionality like Active Display notifications, 'breathing', and the automatic clock, yet be outweighed in the eyes of some enthusiasts by the lack of a 1080p display (for example, when compared to the HTC One as a competitor).

Here's the important bit: there's nothing wrong with that. Personal preference is great. Resolution is great. I love the display on the One. Regardless of what reviewers have said about the display on the Moto X (or any other component of the device), if you're discussing it it's important to acknowledge the difference in perspective.

Having said that, I'm going to quote another post of mine in the Moto X forum:

Let's all make sure we keep the discussion civil and productive, yeah? There's a lot to discuss about the Moto X ? a phone which very few of us have actually used ? and it comes with a few rather unique points of debate such as the Active Display notifications and contextual awareness functionality. The problem here is that for each of us, these features will equate to different levels of convenience and utility. Contextual awareness may provide little utility to one (referencing the "just take a minute to check the weather manually" comments above), yet invaluable convenience to another (for instance, someone who may not have the ability to physically interact with their phone, regardless of the reason).

We all have different opinions of the manufacturer, the hardware, and the software, and we all have different points of view from which we establish these opinions. Embrace them, or, at the very least, acknowledge and move on. Bickering and excessively personal debate adds nothing to constructive conversation and won't be tolerated. Using the 'Report Post' button is the proper way to highlight any posts you may take issue with.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Major under the hood changes too that will allow developers to do all sorts of things not possible before. It will continue to sell very well and deserves to.

Full multitasking. No safari tab limit, vaster sharing API,more camera API's, control centre, siri can now toggle Bluetooth,WiFi, 3G etc, much more reliable Siri, pulls from more sourcrs , do not disturb mode now can be active while the screen is on. 60fps video recording plus leaks suggest 120fps possibly for slow motion video mode. Swipe with one finger to go back throughout the whole OS. Brand new physics engine. Unlimited apps in folders. Much better redesigned camera app. Redesigned(and more feature full) Safari. Open GL bump.

That's just all I can think the top of my head. If you guys looked past the redesign you would see a vastly improved iOS. But you guys don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC