09-04-2013 12:30 AM
57 123
tools
    "Assembled in USA" People should have seen that and known instantly that this phone was not going to have Nexus 4 pricing. I'm all for supporting US jobs, but there is a major difference in wages here vs overseas. That cost had to be passed on to someone!
    08-01-2013 10:10 PM
    Regardless of whether or not this phone is good or bad in people's eyes, the more alarming trend for me (as a Verizon customers) is how much love AT&T seems to be getting in the smartphone world. It makes me wonder if Verizon is just simply rejecting things or whether AT&T is just being more aggressive. AT&T has definitely launched more phones this year and for several of them even had big advantages (64GB HTC One that also isn't likely to come to Verizon either) and now they get the customization options and 32GB Moto X. Granted, Verizon has the hideous Droid Maxx that's basically the same phone as the Moto X (and this could be why they didn't care about the Moto X), but I'm more concerned at the trend that I'm noticing this year of every phone going to AT&T and Verizon really getting nothing.

As someone who is sort of waiting for the HTC One (or the One Max) to hit Verizon, today's announcement just makes me more nervous that when the One does hit Verizon it will only be offered in 32GB and that the One Max may likely not hit Verizon at all.
    I'm in the same boat as you and couldn't agree more. The Droid Maxx looks pretty ugly and only comes in black (the red would have at least made it look a little better/flashier) so if I'm going to pay up for what appears to be nearly identical devices (except for external appearance and battery size), I'll most likely wait for the MotoMaker to finally become available on Verizon and get a better looking device (than the Droid line).

But, yeah, AT&T is definitely more aggressive. I, for one, would have preferred the S4 Active over the S4 for all of its intended purposes. And now they have the jump on the customization options for the Moto X. And you can use the Nexus 4 on their network. And they had the One out lickity split, though the major thing that scares me about the HTC One is that HTC is a dying company and chances of the One getting updates is about equal to that of Steve Jobs showing up to announce the next iPhone.
    08-01-2013 10:44 PM
    And they had the One out lickity split, though the major thing that scares me about the HTC One is that HTC is a dying company and chances of the One getting updates is about equal to that of Steve Jobs showing up to announce the next iPhone.
    I lol'd cause I pretty much feel the same way. I really do feel that the HTC One is the best Android phone I've ever used, but I'm not going to lie when I say that HTC has arguably the worst upgrade program in the history of Android and that makes me nervous about buying one of their phones again. Getting anything other than the OS that your phone came with is a possibility, but you won't get it until the next OS is released (perfect example, US still isn't on 4.2 and 4.3 is now announced and there was no good reason to even launch the One with 4.1 given that 4.2 had already been out for months - it shows how slow their testing phase is). Getting MORE than one OS upgrade on an HTC is a practically not happening. Realistically, HTC One owners shouldn't ever expect 4.3 if you go by their history. 4.2 will be it. They have limited resources and will spend the little money they have left releasing a newer phone NEXT YEAR with 4.3 (yes, I will say it right now: any HTC phone coming out even later this year I bet still only has 4.2 and not 4.3) rather than testing 4.3 on current devices. Perhaps at best 4.3 hits the HTC One end of next year when Android is on KLP v.2 or something.
    08-02-2013 02:25 AM
    Actually was mistaken but there is about a 20-30% difference in performance of the 200 vs the 300, in the real world.
    They both use the Adreno 320 GPU. That being said, the Motorola X < N4, and given the price.
    The Motorola X should be priced like the N4.

It WILL be compared to the Galaxy S4, LG Optimus G Pro and the HTC One.
    The X8 in the X, despite only having a dual core AP, blows the nexus 4 away.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    08-06-2013 11:12 PM
    Actually, it does blow it away.
    The Nexus 4 has an S600 with 4 Krait 300 cores running at 1.5GHz. This is twice as many cores running a little slower. They are the same cores.
    The X is dual core but with context CPU's to handle some dedicated tasks.
    Mobile Processors | Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors
    Snapdragon 600 Processors | Qualcomm

N4 win here.
    The N4 uses an IPS display, win here vs AMOLED.
    Resolution is about the same.

Here's the kicker..... Wait for it, wait for it..... The N4 is $349 off contract as long as you have a GSM carrier.
    I don't care how you market it, it's a mid-range device and the price needs to reflect that.
    Otherwise people can buy the competition. The Galaxy S4, LG Optimus G Pro and the HTC One are the top tier phones with S600 processors.
    And the N4 has no LTE, bad camera and subpar battery life.
    08-07-2013 11:03 AM
    The Nexus was subsidized, right? Should all phones then be subsidized or they're over-priced? Google bought motorola and have worked them them on this device but the want it to be it's own stand alone phone company. The cost to produce this device is more than the iPhone, i don't get why everyone's up in arms that it's not cheap. If you don't like unsubsized phones wait for the next Nexus or wait for another phone that performs as fast as the fastest phones on the market, that debut at $350/400. This argument that the 2 hardware phones deserve a 199/635 and the X should be $99/400 is crazy. Sammy has the hardware, moto has the more innovative smarter phone that is just as fast. It's a phone for people who are choosing among some of the best phones on the market. People who want to look at a 1080P and say MAN, THAT"S SHARP will buy the htc. But I wonder why so many here think there is more value objectively in a 1080P screen than the ability to peek your notifcations/check time without waking your phone. Phones working smarter and more efficiently have a very high value. Function has value, that's why people will pay $199. For some it's important to have more cores and an ultra sharp 5" screen, for others it is the ability to have a more efficient phone. When sammy makes a normal sized phone that takes a digital assistant to the next level let us all know, but they haven't. Their $99 phone is a midrange mini phone doesn't perform anywhere near the X. If you want an unsubsized phone for $350 get that one. lol.
    08-07-2013 12:53 PM
    And i am still waiting to hear about an unsubsized phone that is as fast and efficient as the moto X that is $129. No phablets please. Anyone know of any? I can tell you a fact that Sprint's never carried one. very curious where these phones are.
    08-07-2013 01:13 PM
    Dennis Woodside said they were going to close the gap from the 600 dollar smart phone to the 60 dollar cell phone. That is why I expected the price of the Moto X to be somewhere in the middle like 500-400 off of contract. How can I justify paying 649 (if that is what the 32 GB version costs) for the Moto X on Verizon when I can get the Motorola Droid Maxx for 699? Then there is the article on AC saying that Motorola is selling the X to AT&T for 350 dollars....that is just creating swirl and muddying the water.
    08-07-2013 01:19 PM
    Dennis Woodside said they were going to close the gap from the 600 dollar smart phone to the 60 dollar cell phone. That is why I expected the price of the Moto X to be somewhere in the middle like 500-400 off of contract. How can I justify paying 649 (if that is what the 32 GB version costs) for the Moto X on Verizon when I can get the Motorola Droid Maxx for 699? Then there is the article on AC saying that Motorola is selling the X to AT&T for 350 dollars....that is just creating swirl and muddying the water.
    Assigning cost to value has nothing to do with what someone said. The only justification for buying something is its value.

That being said, if the Maxx really is $99, i would get on that s--t pronto. (not me, i mean you). How much is it off contract? is it really $659? And for that matter, why would someone buy an s4 or htc mini for $99 when they can have a Maxx?
    08-07-2013 01:26 PM
    Assigning cost to value has nothing to do with what someone said. The only justification for buying something is its value.

That being said, if the Maxx really is $99, i would get on that s--t pronto. (not me, i mean you). How much is it off contract?
    You confuse me. Dennis is heading up Motorola, when he says they are going to close the gap....typically it means release a product at a price point between the two said numbers.
    08-07-2013 01:33 PM
    When the f--- did we start talking about $99? What's happening right now?
    08-07-2013 01:40 PM
    You confuse me. Dennis is heading up Motorola, when he says they are going to close the gap....typically it means release a product at a price point between the two said numbers.
    Sorry, i merged 2 things. . Cuz other than the Maxx, if it does turn out to be $200, all the phones seem normally priced, and all the phones without contract seem to be normally priced.

But you see people up in arms over the cost as relates to the phone (which is what i mistakenly addressed since it was talked about so much)
    08-07-2013 01:40 PM
    Sorry, i merged 2 things. . Cuz other than the Maxx, if it does turn out to be $200, all the phones seem normally priced, and all the phones without contract seem to be normally priced.

But you see people up in arms over the cost as relates to the phone (which is what i mistakenly addressed since it was talked about so much)

I am interested only in buying the X off contract.

Moto Maxx is 299 on contract and 699 off of contract. I do not know what the X will cost off contract but was hoping somewhere below the 600 dollar mark.
    08-07-2013 01:55 PM
    No its not. Woodside's comments were about emerging markets. The article on AC is about the devices cost to att, which is spelled out in the article. Has nothing to do with consumer-facing pricing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    08-07-2013 02:00 PM
    I am interested only in buying the X off contract.

Moto Maxx is 299 on contract and 699 off of contract. I do not know what the X will cost off contract but was hoping somewhere below the 600 dollar mark.
    Droid maxx or razr maxx? did it just come out and is 299?
    08-07-2013 02:14 PM
    Droid maxx or razr maxx? did it just come out and is 299?

because if it's pretty new, there's your gap btwn 30 and 600 that he was talking about.
    08-07-2013 02:17 PM
    because if it's pretty new, there's your gap btwn 30 and 600 that he was talking about.
    You are very confused. On contract and off contract prices. Do you understand the difference? I am not planning on ever buying another phone that comes with a contract. The Droid Maxx is 699 off of contract.
    08-08-2013 10:38 AM
    You are very confused. On contract and off contract prices. Do you understand the difference? I am not planning on ever buying another phone that comes with a contract. The Droid Maxx is 699 off of contract.

oh, sry, i misread that for some reason, lol. i don't know why i read that as 299 off, yes, i know the dif, just misread.
    08-08-2013 10:41 AM
    First of, the nexus 4 was never subsidised. It was sold at cost. The bom was about $200 so stop talking like they made losses selling the phone.
    You asked for a phone that has a price of $129...
    gsmarena.com/xiaomi_unveils_ultracheap_quadcore_hongmi_aka_red_rice_droid-news-6494.php

Yeah other than the mediatek proc.... BOOOMMM

Posted via Android Central App
    08-08-2013 05:07 PM
    The Nexus was subsidized, right?
    First of, the nexus 4 was never subsidised.
    The N4 was sold at "break even" for LG's expenses via the play store, and marked up slightly from there for T-Mobile. For a time, T-Mobile was offering a further subsidized price to sign a contract (no longer an option, though some affiliates and subsidiaries still offer this). The term subsidized, relative to the Nexus 4, is typically not speaking to a carrier subsidy, but rather than Google was eating the delta between production costs borne by and repaid to LG, and those associated with advertising, R&D, support, etc.

So, in this example, LG paid roughly $200 for parts and $100 per device to make it a functioning phone and Google pays them the $300. Typically LG would have added expenses in advertising, development, etc. that they'd recoup by pricing the phone accordingly, + a built in margin based on their expectant recurring expenses, such as warranties, litigation, etc. Google is eating those costs, and thus subsidizing the delta between LG's break-even and the consumer's pocket.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume Google is actually losing $100 or so per device over time, factoring in the advertising (very low cost to Google), RMAs, etc. but we really have no idea because it hasn't been broken down on a per device basis. Either way, the device IS subsided by Google, and, depending on where you purchased it and when, it may have been further subsidized by a carrier.
    08-08-2013 05:21 PM
    These midrange comments are bunk without any real world experience. I know the iPhone is behind Android by a long ways on hardware and features, but do you consider the iPhone midrange?
    Yes, between the small screen size, locked down OS and performance that has been eclipsed by other chipsets, I do consider the iPhone to be a midrange device at this point. And I consider the Moto-X to be an upper midrange device. Which is fine. It works on this device. I think it will be quite successful.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-08-2013 06:18 PM
    So the Moto X costs $199 on contract. And now, predictably, tons of people are going whine and scream and b@#!$ that the price they made up isn't real. Some people speculated an unrealistic price point and spread around like wildfire as if it was fact. It should have been obvious when the Droid Ultra with similar specs was released with a $199 price tag that the Moto X would be similar. But people just kept repeating this ridiculous $299 price tag, and now the internet is going to go ballistic because people refused to stop and think "Wait, we made this up."

Before you rage about the price some more, keep in mind NOBODY promised you this price, it was made up and demanded by people who seem to think all phones should be sold for little to no profit. If you are legitimately shocked and disappointed that this phone wasn't sold at a crazy low price, you have no one to blame but yourself for believing it, as the proof was there for a while.

Google's Motorola Unit to Spend Up to $500 Million Marketing 'Moto X' Phone - WSJ.com

Also, you are free to wait for the Nexus 5, since it will undoubtedly be better. Just remember, the Nexus 5 isn't even confirmed to EXIST. Before you start hyping the Nexus 5, remember what JUST HAPPENED with the Moto X. Let this be yet another lesson about what happens when you make crap up and treat it like fact.
    After a bit of a hiatus, I'm glad to come back to posts like this.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-09-2013 11:47 PM
    The N4 was sold at "break even" for LG's expenses via the play store, and marked up slightly from there for T-Mobile. For a time, T-Mobile was offering a further subsidized price to sign a contract (no longer an option, though some affiliates and subsidiaries still offer this). The term subsidized, relative to the Nexus 4, is typically not speaking to a carrier subsidy, but rather than Google was eating the delta between production costs borne by and repaid to LG, and those associated with advertising, R&D, support, etc.

So, in this example, LG paid roughly $200 for parts and $100 per device to make it a functioning phone and Google pays them the $300. Typically LG would have added expenses in advertising, development, etc. that they'd recoup by pricing the phone accordingly, + a built in margin based on their expectant recurring expenses, such as warranties, litigation, etc. Google is eating those costs, and thus subsidizing the delta between LG's break-even and the consumer's pocket.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume Google is actually losing $100 or so per device over time, factoring in the advertising (very low cost to Google), RMAs, etc. but we really have no idea because it hasn't been broken down on a per device basis. Either way, the device IS subsided by Google, and, depending on where you purchased it and when, it may have been further subsidized by a carrier.
    Apparently everything should cost only their BOM.
    Aquila and Lanzeelus like this.
    08-09-2013 11:52 PM
    Yes, between the small screen size, locked down OS and performance that has been eclipsed by other chipsets, I do consider the iPhone to be a midrange device at this point. And I consider the Moto-X to be an upper midrange device. Which is fine. It works on this device. I think it will be quite successful.
    Which tells us you know little about the iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    08-31-2013 02:33 AM
    No need to revive every dead thread in this forum. Thanks.
    08-31-2013 02:45 AM
57 123