08-27-2013 10:01 PM
79 1234
tools
    Just out of curiosity, where was it officially post how much the phone costs in parts?

Sent from my SCH-I535
    There's no tear down that I'm aware of. The coming weeks we'll probably see something and an estimate of what it costs.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    08-02-2013 04:12 PM
    the One and S4 will probably see a price drop on contract quite a few months before the X. Something else to consider
    08-02-2013 04:36 PM
    90% of people put a case on their phone so the customized backs are just a gimmick.
    I hear ya, but i'm going to be MAD if the phone manufacturers get sick of people calling every choice a "gimmick" and so they stop offering us choices like Apple. Why do we have to criticize every single option that's laid before us when it comes to phones? Who gives a crap if someone doesn't want to customize their phone? It's still cool that the option exists and that doesn't mean it's a stupid gimmick. (Like I said, I do agree that it shouldn't be the most hyped aspect of the phone, but it's still kinda cool)

- - - Updated - - -

90% of people put a case on their phone so the customized backs are just a gimmick.
    I hear ya, but i'm going to be MAD if the phone manufacturers get sick of people calling every choice a "gimmick" and so they stop offering us choices like Apple. Why do we have to criticize every single option that's laid before us when it comes to phones? Who gives a crap if someone doesn't want to customize their phone? It's still cool that the option exists and that doesn't mean it's a stupid gimmick. (Like I said, I do agree that it shouldn't be the most hyped aspect of the phone, but it's still kinda cool)
    08-02-2013 06:49 PM
    Right. And why do you have that opinion? How did you arrive there? It seems to me that an opinion like that would have to be based on the assumption that it might not perform on par with the competition. Is that the case in how you formed your opinion? I mean, otherwise, how would you know? And if you're one to look at benchmarks, then the performance preview at Ars Technica shows it outperforming the GS4 in some capacities. So...?

I'm not being combative here. I'm just asking questions.
    You've asked this, and it's been answered. My opinion isn't based on performance, benchmarks (which are probably the biggest BS around- see Samsung's recent drama with boosting benchmark scores), or any articles written by tech sites which are given phones for free to review. I don't even need to touch the X to know that it's going to be zippy, and it's going to run everything I want it to without a problem. I know the screen is going to look good, and I'm sure the battery is going to last a good party of a day. This is pretty much a given with any name brand-maker phone produced in the past 2 years now. I'm not bashing the phone. My first Android phone was the Droid, then the Droid X and X2, and I just recently switched over to Samsung with the S3 (with a few phones thrown in between that I got rid of before contract). I'm a Moto lover. They've always had, bar none, the best reception of any phone on the market, and their build quality was bullet-proof. The two biggest drawbacks Moto has always had were that the camera always sucked, and the battery always sucked (except for the Maxx, I hear). I digress, though. My point is that I don't dislike the phone. I hope it succeeds. In my OPINION, it's overpriced because it's using a smaller battery, a smaller screen, an older processor (with newer GPU's admittedly), doesn't have the extra addons like the Stylus of the Note 2, the IR blaster of the S4, etc. These little changes in components equal dollar savings, which is completely acceptable and expected in capitalism. I buy my phone off contract, because I am not going to lose unlimited until Verizon pulls the plug, and then I'm going to pull the plug on Verizon, thankfully, at last. I expect a phone to be priced accordingly to the components inside of it. In a month, there is going to be a phone sporting the S800, and it's going to sell for the same price as the Moto X. Now let me stop you before you even begin typing a response- I don't CARE about the processor, the speed, the cores, etc., as long as it's quick enough to do what I want. What I care about is charging me, the consumer, according to what you're putting in the device. If you're going to charge me for cutting edge technology, put the technology in my phone. If you're not going to, don't charge me the same price. I'm sorry my opinion doesn't make sense to you. You probably still think I care about cores, and speed, or some other stupid stuff, and will never understand the stand on principle that I'm making. I look at this as an Apple type phone debut by Moto- putting a bunch of fancy terms like "proprietary SOC" and "innovating features" and "optimized software" into an ad campaign to sell a phone that is way, way overpriced to a population that doesn't know any better. They've insulted my intelligence, and therefore, regardless of how much I want Moto or the X (which again, looks great) to succeed, I'm going to pass on this phone (edited to add: until the price comes down to a reasonable level). I'm not going to waste another moment replying to you about this, so take this answer for what you will.
    Roundpotato and rgarcia900 like this.
    08-02-2013 07:19 PM
    No, they can always introduce a REAL phone. This is what $12 Billion dollars bought Google, it certainly wasn't the patents since they suck wind in court rulings. I wanted a high end phone something to get other OEM's off their butts but not this joke. I could have lived with 720p but not the old processor, or the lack of storage, no F'in way.
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 07:24 PM
    No, they can always introduce a REAL phone. This is what $12 Billion dollars bought Google, it certainly wasn't the patents since they suck wind in court rulings. I wanted a high end phone something to get other OEM's off their butts but not this joke. I could have lived with 720p but not the old processor, or the lack of storage, no F'in way.
    Just out of curiosity, you have what is probably the best phone out, why are you looking at a new one?
    08-02-2013 07:26 PM
    If you're going to charge me for cutting edge technology, put the technology in my phone. If you're not going to, don't charge me the same price.
    They're doing both. Not sure why this is lost on a few people in these forums, but there is literally nothing "mid-range" about this device, unless it takes 1080p to be "high end".

to sell a phone that is way, way overpriced to a population that doesn't know any better.
    The question is why you think it is overpriced. It is created at similar cost to other 2013 "flagships" and retailed at similar costs. Are you pissed at Samsung, LG, HTC, Apple and Sony for over charging as well?

They've insulted my intelligence
    You misunderstanding is not the same thing as them insulting you.

I expect a phone to be priced accordingly to the components inside of it.
    It is. So what's the problem?

In my OPINION, it's overpriced because it's using a smaller battery, a smaller screen, an older processor (with newer GPU's admittedly), doesn't have the extra addons like the Stylus of the Note 2, the IR blaster of the S4, etc.
    It costs $9 less to produce than the S4 and is $75 cheaper for like models. Samsung is ripping you off far more than Moto.

I'm sorry my opinion doesn't make sense to you.
    You're right, because you're backing it up with a lot of misconceptions and/or lies without ever attempting to understand the distinctions in terms, pricing concepts, etc. that are being thrown around.
    08-02-2013 07:29 PM
    NothingIsTrue, before I reply to anything else you've said, I'm going to ask you once again...please post a link from a reputable component/teardown site that details the cost of the Moto X.
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 07:39 PM
    NothingIsTrue, before I reply to anything else you've said, I'm going to ask you once again...please post a link from a reputable component/teardown site that details the cost of the Moto X.
    I can say that to you too. How do you know it doesn't cost MORE to make the X?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-02-2013 07:45 PM
    2nd time in this thread (links have been posted in others) It was Goldman Sachs's analyst's review of the device in a 21 page report they put out detailing the impact on the market, pricing, etc. This was originally posted by Barron's, and has been on PhoneArena and Phandroid. It is not an iFixit teardown, but it is the closest thing that exists thus far. In a world wear processors cost $20 (Snapdragon)-$28 (Exynos), there is not going to be a lot of swing in device manufacturing costs. The $200-$250 range of 2012/2013 devices is going to true for many "flagships". The iPhone 5 is $204, the S4 $234, etc. so this cost is directly in line with those devices, while both are priced retail at $649 and this is $75 cheaper for the like version.
    08-02-2013 07:49 PM
    You've asked this, and it's been answered. My opinion isn't based on performance, benchmarks (which are probably the biggest BS around- see Samsung's recent drama with boosting benchmark scores), or any articles written by tech sites which are given phones for free to review. I don't even need to touch the X to know that it's going to be zippy, and it's going to run everything I want it to without a problem. I know the screen is going to look good, and I'm sure the battery is going to last a good party of a day. This is pretty much a given with any name brand-maker phone produced in the past 2 years now. I'm not bashing the phone. My first Android phone was the Droid, then the Droid X and X2, and I just recently switched over to Samsung with the S3 (with a few phones thrown in between that I got rid of before contract). I'm a Moto lover. They've always had, bar none, the best reception of any phone on the market, and their build quality was bullet-proof. The two biggest drawbacks Moto has always had were that the camera always sucked, and the battery always sucked (except for the Maxx, I hear). I digress, though. My point is that I don't dislike the phone. I hope it succeeds. In my OPINION, it's overpriced because it's using a smaller battery, a smaller screen, an older processor (with newer GPU's admittedly), doesn't have the extra addons like the Stylus of the Note 2, the IR blaster of the S4, etc. These little changes in components equal dollar savings, which is completely acceptable and expected in capitalism. I buy my phone off contract, because I am not going to lose unlimited until Verizon pulls the plug, and then I'm going to pull the plug on Verizon, thankfully, at last. I expect a phone to be priced accordingly to the components inside of it. In a month, there is going to be a phone sporting the S800, and it's going to sell for the same price as the Moto X. Now let me stop you before you even begin typing a response- I don't CARE about the processor, the speed, the cores, etc., as long as it's quick enough to do what I want. What I care about is charging me, the consumer, according to what you're putting in the device. If you're going to charge me for cutting edge technology, put the technology in my phone. If you're not going to, don't charge me the same price. I'm sorry my opinion doesn't make sense to you. You probably still think I care about cores, and speed, or some other stupid stuff, and will never understand the stand on principle that I'm making. I look at this as an Apple type phone debut by Moto- putting a bunch of fancy terms like "proprietary SOC" and "innovating features" and "optimized software" into an ad campaign to sell a phone that is way, way overpriced to a population that doesn't know any better. They've insulted my intelligence, and therefore, regardless of how much I want Moto or the X (which again, looks great) to succeed, I'm going to pass on this phone (edited to add: until the price comes down to a reasonable level). I'm not going to waste another moment replying to you about this, so take this answer for what you will.
    This is the best, most sensible response yet. The phone looks great, but based on smartphone pricing at this time you aren't getting the cutting edge technology you are being charged for and that is what the "android geeks" are up in arms about.
    Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 07:49 PM
    This is the best, most sensible response yet. The phone looks great, but based on smartphone pricing at this time you aren't getting the cutting edge technology you are being charged for and that is what the "android geeks" are up in arms about.
    As just addressed again (and again), that IS the perception, but it is false. A little research and understanding of this device clarifies that it is directly appropriate in relevance, pricing, etc. This device just has a different approach to user experience than Samsung. Different is only worse if the performance and experience is worse for the person holding the phone.
    08-02-2013 07:54 PM
    You are right, it's the combination of display/carrier exclusive/processor/16gb internal that makes it disappointing.

Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 07:55 PM
    But you're getting technology that's far more cutting edge than what's being used on the phone in your signature. Nobody knows how this will work out for Moto, it may fail, it may even catch fire in a week, but it's something far more advanced than anyone else has done so far.
    08-02-2013 07:55 PM
    But you're getting technology that's far more cutting edge than what's being used on the phone in your signature. Nobody knows how this will work out for Moto, it may fail, it may even catch fire in a week, but it's something far more advanced than anyone else has done so far.
    I'm not sure why there are a handful of people that seem to have no idea what this means. Counting cores has nothing to do with how the device will actually perform.
    08-02-2013 08:00 PM
    I can say that to you too. How do you know it doesn't cost MORE to make the X?

You know what, I bet you it does cost Moto more to make the X. Both because it's "assembled in the USA", and they also don't make 80 percent of the parts like Samsung does for the S4. It doesn't mean the worth is the same for me. I could put together a cell phone with an S1 processor and part wise it will cost me more, but I am certainly not going to charge bleeding-edge technology prices for it. 199 is a premium phone price point to me, and to expect that from me I demand a few things. Your opinion is different. The sun will still both rise and set tomorrow just like always.
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 08:00 PM
    You know what, I bet you it does cost Moto more to make the X. Both because it's "assembled in the USA", and they also don't make 80 percent of the parts like Samsung does for the S4. It doesn't mean the worth is the same for me. I could put together a cell phone with an S1 processor and part wise it will cost me more, but I am certainly not going to charge bleeding-edge technology prices for it. 199 is a premium phone price point to me, and to expect that from me I demand a few things. Your opinion is different. The sun will still both rise and set tomorrow just like always.
    Links or it's not true.

You want facts but are posting bets. Guesses, really.

08-02-2013 08:04 PM
    I am fine with it. Not quite sur eI can wait for the AT&T exclusivity on the cool stuff to run out. But I am OK with all of the specs. One thing I learned after buying a flagship phone is that its all real cool and fast at the beginning then luster wears off. I think that the Moto X, more than any other Android device, has the chance to be a long going daily driver. One that I am not ready to bounce before my 2 year contract is up. Meh. I am also very interested in reports of day to day usage. That is more important to me than a bunch of specs.
    08-02-2013 08:38 PM
    http://www.youtube.com/v/3ZX8graseUQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&

One can skip to the end to see the difference in marketing value proposition to mainstream consumers versus spec sheet geeks.
    JungleLarry likes this.
    08-02-2013 08:40 PM
    Delete.
    08-02-2013 09:16 PM
    Links or it's not true.

You want facts but are posting bets. Guesses, really.

This is how this saga has unfolded thusly. A few of us saw the unveil, and thought, "that phone looks pretty nice". Then we saw the price and thought, "that phone doesn't seem worth it to me." Those few of us came on here, to already created threads, and voiced our opinion that this phone seemed overpriced in our opinions, and that we might have bit at a cheaper price point, but our perceived value of the device is lower. At no point, ever, did I tell someone they were lying, stupid, etc. because they came on here and said "wow this phone is awesome, and it's priced right for me". You know why? I'm an adult, and I respect the opinions of others even if I frequently disagree. It's something that I can understand another board member having a problem with, as most of us on here are pretty fanatical in one way or another about something (who else reads a forum devoted to cell phones?). As a "MOD TEAM LEADER" as the big green title under your avatar states, I have to admit I expect a little bit more out of you. I didn't bring numbers into this, someone stated they knew how much it cost to build the Moto X, and it was only a little cheaper than the S4. I responded that regardless of the cost of the parts, and I even agreed with you in this last point that it MAY be more expensive (who the hell knows?), they were not premium enough to justify the price tag for me. I don't care about the cost of making the X. My point was, it doesn't (in my opinion) have the premium parts to justify the premium cost (in my opinion), and therefore in my opinion, it's overpriced and I will wait for it to come down or buy something else. I didn't say "this phone sucks!", "needs more cores!", or whatever else you've made up in your fantasy land debate that you are having. I didn't attack anyone else for their opinion. A normal person, and more importantly, a MOD TEAM LEADER, should know at some point to take a dissenting opinion for what it is. And then we have your last post, full of snarky professionalism in all it's glory. Thank you for being a shining example to the regular people on this board of what's acceptable.
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 09:33 PM
    This is how this saga has unfolded thusly. A few of us saw the unveil, and thought, "that phone looks pretty nice". Then we saw the price and thought, "that phone doesn't seem worth it to me." Those few of us came on here, to already created threads, and voiced our opinion that this phone seemed overpriced in our opinions, and that we might have bit at a cheaper price point, but our perceived value of the device is lower. At no point, ever, did I tell someone they were lying, stupid, etc. because they came on here and said "wow this phone is awesome, and it's priced right for me". You know why? I'm an adult, and I respect the opinions of others even if I frequently disagree. It's something that I can understand another board member having a problem with, as most of us on here are pretty fanatical in one way or another about something (who else reads a forum devoted to cell phones?). As a "MOD TEAM LEADER" as the big green title under your avatar states, I have to admit I expect a little bit more out of you. I didn't bring numbers into this, someone stated they knew how much it cost to build the Moto X, and it was only a little cheaper than the S4. I responded that regardless of the cost of the parts, and I even agreed with you in this last point that it MAY be more expensive (who the hell knows?), they were not premium enough to justify the price tag for me. I don't care about the cost of making the X. My point was, it doesn't (in my opinion) have the premium parts to justify the premium cost (in my opinion), and therefore in my opinion, it's overpriced and I will wait for it to come down or buy something else. I didn't say "this phone sucks!", "needs more cores!", or whatever else you've made up in your fantasy land debate that you are having. I didn't attack anyone else for their opinion. A normal person, and more importantly, a MOD TEAM LEADER, should know at some point to take a dissenting opinion for what it is. And then we have your last post, full of snarky professionalism in all it's glory. Thank you for being a shining example to the regular people on this board of what's acceptable.
    I didn't say anything about your opinions. I pointed out a flaw in your argument. You're definitely entitled to your opinion, and regardless of a green badge or not, I'm entitled to mine. I can also point out when someone presents a flawed argument, as you did. Someone stated an opinion that you didn't agree with, and you asked for facts. You state your opinion, but provide no facts. Either no facts need to be presented at all, or both parties need to present facts. It seems simple.

If you don't feel that the parts add up to be a premium device for YOU, that's completely fine. For others, it does.

Let me ask you this, though. If iFixit (or some other reputable source) does the teardown and discovers that it does indeed cost the same or more to produce than other "high-end" "flagship" devices like the S4 or ONE, will you come back and admit that it is every bit as premium as them, regardless of your opinion? I only ask because part of the basis of your argument is price based on premium parts.

Also, I'm not oblivious to the thinly veiled character attack you levied against me in your reply.
    08-02-2013 09:45 PM
    I didn't say anything about your opinions. I pointed out a flaw in your argument. You're definitely entitled to your opinion, and regardless of a green badge or not, I'm entitled to mine. I can also point out when someone presents a flawed argument, as you did. Someone stated an opinion that you didn't agree with, and you asked for facts. You state your opinion, but provide no facts. Either no facts need to be presented at all, or both parties need to present facts. It seems simple.

If you don't feel that the parts add up to be a premium device for YOU, that's completely fine. For others, it does.

Let me ask you this, though. If iFixit (or some other reputable source) does the teardown and discovers that it does indeed cost the same or more to produce than other "high-end" "flagship" devices like the S4 or ONE, will you come back and admit that it is every bit as premium as them, regardless of your opinion? I only ask because part of the basis of your argument is price based on premium parts.

Also, I'm not oblivious to the thinly veiled character attack you levied against me in your reply.
    If you look at the order of posts chronologically, you will see that he misinterpreted my definition of value and we then began a debate about the cost of parts. I did debate on that, however, that had nothing to do with my original, and currently standing opinion. If iFixit finds it costs $400,000 to make one Moto X, nothing will change about my opinion, but the post in which I debated him saying it was overpriced also because of part cost will be incorrect. I still will not pay 199 for this phone, or the 600 off contract which is how I buy a phone. 450? I'm there. Also, it wasn't a thinly veiled attack, I straight up called you out on your lack of professionalism on these boards. Have a good night Kevin.
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-02-2013 10:06 PM
    Lets also remember that this is the first smartphone made in the US. The cost to produce ANY PRODUCT in the united states much outweighs the cost to produce OCONUS. This will obviously be reflected in the retail price of the device.
    rbrindle likes this.
    08-02-2013 10:16 PM
    I must be on whatever their on. Infact if the Moto X included the Circles Widget and PhotoShere, with 4.3 probably coming soon and a better camera, the Moto X would probably be the best Android phone out yet. All in my opnion ofcourse. I believe that Motorola did work smarter except harder. Just because it exist (Quad / Octo core, 1080p, ect) dosen't mean it needs to be used. Look at the iPhone, its 'last years tech' but performs great. Thats what Moto's trying to do, make android work.
    08-02-2013 10:19 PM
79 1234