Are you smoking what Google-Motorola smoking....?

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I can say that to you too. How do you know it doesn't cost MORE to make the X?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You know what, I bet you it does cost Moto more to make the X. Both because it's "assembled in the USA", and they also don't make 80 percent of the parts like Samsung does for the S4. It doesn't mean the worth is the same for me. I could put together a cell phone with an S1 processor and part wise it will cost me more, but I am certainly not going to charge bleeding-edge technology prices for it. 199 is a premium phone price point to me, and to expect that from me I demand a few things. Your opinion is different. The sun will still both rise and set tomorrow just like always.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You know what, I bet you it does cost Moto more to make the X. Both because it's "assembled in the USA", and they also don't make 80 percent of the parts like Samsung does for the S4. It doesn't mean the worth is the same for me. I could put together a cell phone with an S1 processor and part wise it will cost me more, but I am certainly not going to charge bleeding-edge technology prices for it. 199 is a premium phone price point to me, and to expect that from me I demand a few things. Your opinion is different. The sun will still both rise and set tomorrow just like always.

Links or it's not true.

You want facts but are posting bets. Guesses, really.

SolarPlexus

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am fine with it. Not quite sur eI can wait for the AT&T exclusivity on the cool stuff to run out. But I am OK with all of the specs. One thing I learned after buying a flagship phone is that its all real cool and fast at the beginning then luster wears off. I think that the Moto X, more than any other Android device, has the chance to be a long going daily driver. One that I am not ready to bounce before my 2 year contract is up. Meh. I am also very interested in reports of day to day usage. That is more important to me than a bunch of specs.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Links or it's not true.

You want facts but are posting bets. Guesses, really.

This is how this saga has unfolded thusly. A few of us saw the unveil, and thought, "that phone looks pretty nice". Then we saw the price and thought, "that phone doesn't seem worth it to me." Those few of us came on here, to already created threads, and voiced our opinion that this phone seemed overpriced in our opinions, and that we might have bit at a cheaper price point, but our perceived value of the device is lower. At no point, ever, did I tell someone they were lying, stupid, etc. because they came on here and said "wow this phone is awesome, and it's priced right for me". You know why? I'm an adult, and I respect the opinions of others even if I frequently disagree. It's something that I can understand another board member having a problem with, as most of us on here are pretty fanatical in one way or another about something (who else reads a forum devoted to cell phones?). As a "MOD TEAM LEADER" as the big green title under your avatar states, I have to admit I expect a little bit more out of you. I didn't bring numbers into this, someone stated they knew how much it cost to build the Moto X, and it was only a little cheaper than the S4. I responded that regardless of the cost of the parts, and I even agreed with you in this last point that it MAY be more expensive (who the hell knows?), they were not premium enough to justify the price tag for me. I don't care about the cost of making the X. My point was, it doesn't (in my opinion) have the premium parts to justify the premium cost (in my opinion), and therefore in my opinion, it's overpriced and I will wait for it to come down or buy something else. I didn't say "this phone sucks!", "needs more cores!", or whatever else you've made up in your fantasy land debate that you are having. I didn't attack anyone else for their opinion. A normal person, and more importantly, a MOD TEAM LEADER, should know at some point to take a dissenting opinion for what it is. And then we have your last post, full of snarky professionalism in all it's glory. Thank you for being a shining example to the regular people on this board of what's acceptable.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is how this saga has unfolded thusly. A few of us saw the unveil, and thought, "that phone looks pretty nice". Then we saw the price and thought, "that phone doesn't seem worth it to me." Those few of us came on here, to already created threads, and voiced our opinion that this phone seemed overpriced in our opinions, and that we might have bit at a cheaper price point, but our perceived value of the device is lower. At no point, ever, did I tell someone they were lying, stupid, etc. because they came on here and said "wow this phone is awesome, and it's priced right for me". You know why? I'm an adult, and I respect the opinions of others even if I frequently disagree. It's something that I can understand another board member having a problem with, as most of us on here are pretty fanatical in one way or another about something (who else reads a forum devoted to cell phones?). As a "MOD TEAM LEADER" as the big green title under your avatar states, I have to admit I expect a little bit more out of you. I didn't bring numbers into this, someone stated they knew how much it cost to build the Moto X, and it was only a little cheaper than the S4. I responded that regardless of the cost of the parts, and I even agreed with you in this last point that it MAY be more expensive (who the hell knows?), they were not premium enough to justify the price tag for me. I don't care about the cost of making the X. My point was, it doesn't (in my opinion) have the premium parts to justify the premium cost (in my opinion), and therefore in my opinion, it's overpriced and I will wait for it to come down or buy something else. I didn't say "this phone sucks!", "needs more cores!", or whatever else you've made up in your fantasy land debate that you are having. I didn't attack anyone else for their opinion. A normal person, and more importantly, a MOD TEAM LEADER, should know at some point to take a dissenting opinion for what it is. And then we have your last post, full of snarky professionalism in all it's glory. Thank you for being a shining example to the regular people on this board of what's acceptable.

I didn't say anything about your opinions. I pointed out a flaw in your argument. You're definitely entitled to your opinion, and regardless of a green badge or not, I'm entitled to mine. I can also point out when someone presents a flawed argument, as you did. Someone stated an opinion that you didn't agree with, and you asked for facts. You state your opinion, but provide no facts. Either no facts need to be presented at all, or both parties need to present facts. It seems simple.

If you don't feel that the parts add up to be a premium device for YOU, that's completely fine. For others, it does.

Let me ask you this, though. If iFixit (or some other reputable source) does the teardown and discovers that it does indeed cost the same or more to produce than other "high-end" "flagship" devices like the S4 or ONE, will you come back and admit that it is every bit as premium as them, regardless of your opinion? I only ask because part of the basis of your argument is price based on premium parts.

Also, I'm not oblivious to the thinly veiled character attack you levied against me in your reply.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I didn't say anything about your opinions. I pointed out a flaw in your argument. You're definitely entitled to your opinion, and regardless of a green badge or not, I'm entitled to mine. I can also point out when someone presents a flawed argument, as you did. Someone stated an opinion that you didn't agree with, and you asked for facts. You state your opinion, but provide no facts. Either no facts need to be presented at all, or both parties need to present facts. It seems simple.

If you don't feel that the parts add up to be a premium device for YOU, that's completely fine. For others, it does.

Let me ask you this, though. If iFixit (or some other reputable source) does the teardown and discovers that it does indeed cost the same or more to produce than other "high-end" "flagship" devices like the S4 or ONE, will you come back and admit that it is every bit as premium as them, regardless of your opinion? I only ask because part of the basis of your argument is price based on premium parts.

Also, I'm not oblivious to the thinly veiled character attack you levied against me in your reply.

If you look at the order of posts chronologically, you will see that he misinterpreted my definition of value and we then began a debate about the cost of parts. I did debate on that, however, that had nothing to do with my original, and currently standing opinion. If iFixit finds it costs $400,000 to make one Moto X, nothing will change about my opinion, but the post in which I debated him saying it was overpriced also because of part cost will be incorrect. I still will not pay 199 for this phone, or the 600 off contract which is how I buy a phone. 450? I'm there. Also, it wasn't a thinly veiled attack, I straight up called you out on your lack of professionalism on these boards. Have a good night Kevin.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Lets also remember that this is the first smartphone made in the US. The cost to produce ANY PRODUCT in the united states much outweighs the cost to produce OCONUS. This will obviously be reflected in the retail price of the device.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I must be on whatever their on. Infact if the Moto X included the Circles Widget and PhotoShere, with 4.3 probably coming soon and a better camera, the Moto X would probably be the best Android phone out yet. All in my opnion ofcourse. I believe that Motorola did work smarter except harder. Just because it exist (Quad / Octo core, 1080p, ect) dosen't mean it needs to be used. Look at the iPhone, its 'last years tech' but performs great. Thats what Moto's trying to do, make android work.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have no problem with the specs. I have a problem with the pricing. I don't care how fast you tell me this phone is, the fact is it is using lower priced internals and charging the same price as the s4 and One. At nexus 4 build levels, we expect nexus 4 pricing. You shouldn't be defending an attempt to over charge customers by Google.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
If you look at the order of posts chronologically, you will see that he misinterpreted my definition of value and we then began a debate about the cost of parts. I did debate on that, however, that had nothing to do with my original, and currently standing opinion. If iFixit finds it costs $400,000 to make one Moto X, nothing will change about my opinion, but the post in which I debated him saying it was overpriced also because of part cost will be incorrect. I still will not pay 199 for this phone, or the 600 off contract which is how I buy a phone. 450? I'm there. Also, it wasn't a thinly veiled attack, I straight up called you out on your lack of professionalism on these boards. Have a good night Kevin.

Chronologically, your first post in this thread specifically mentions "the fact that it is using lower priced internals". You provided no links to substantiate your claims, yet you state this as a fact. You then asked for proof of the BOM from someone else that doesn't share your opinion. Which is the point where I entered the debate about BOM (after many other posts about other things). Thus, the crux of the discussion we're having right now isn't about the validity of your opinion (it's completely valid), but the way you're presenting your side of the discussion.

Basically, you can't have it both ways.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Remember, everyone doesn't want a high-end phone. To those folks the X may appeal.

Not rooted, Stock rom, just Awesome (NSA)

If they don't want a high end phone then they won't pay $199 on contract. This isn't even marketed toward regular consumers with that price. I mean when they walk into a store and see the s4's and htc ones with their 1080p screens and quad core processors they are going to say why is this priced the same as these when clearly it has lesser specs. Like what is going to "sell" the x? voice actions? Doubtful, the only thing I could see selling it is maybe its smaller size...

Last edited:

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Chronologically, your first post in this thread specifically mentions "the fact that it is using lower priced internals". You provided no links to substantiate your claims, yet you state this as a fact. You then asked for proof of the BOM from someone else that doesn't share your opinion. Which is the point where I entered the debate about BOM (after many other posts about other things). Thus, the crux of the discussion we're having right now isn't about the validity of your opinion (it's completely valid), but the way you're presenting your side of the discussion.

Basically, you can't have it both ways.

You're right. I was active in a few threads and I did bring up lower priced internals in this thread. I should have just said that the components don't justify the premium price to me and left it at that, which is the crux of my argument. Last reply in this ordeal, take care.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
This is what happens when they (Google) always gives there **** away. Now they try to price a phone accordingly, suddenly it's just too expense. Yet Apple always does it and with 32 million iPhones sold last quarter, clearly Google wants a piece of the pie. Only problem they don't have Apple pie! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you believe these companies like Google and Motorola don't know what they are doing? I think they do. I'm not saying that I think you are wrong in your assessment of the device. In saying that consumers are going to eat this up because it appeals to mainstream. Different colors, gimmicks, made in America campaign; people are going to be drawn to this product and Google knows it. Just wait until the commercials come out and they become available on every carrier. They are going to fly off the shelves. That's what it's about. Not the specs, or even how it compares to other devices at the same price point. It's going to be about what the masses want and this is exactly what most consumers are going to want. Apple hang really produced a device that was superior in the specs department since the 3GS. But people have bought iPhone in droves. Why? Because they make products that the masses want. And they charge a premium for them.

Sent from my Nexus 7

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No, they can always introduce a REAL phone. This is what $12 Billion dollars bought Google, it certainly wasn't the patents since they suck wind in court rulings. I wanted a high end phone something to get other OEM's off their butts but not this joke. I could have lived with 720p but not the old processor, or the lack of storage, no F'in way.

Its not an old processor.

In case you missed it as well, the new Nexus 7 uses what is called an S4 Pro, but in fact uses the newer Krait core designs. We have no idea if that's the case here, but it is certainly a possibility. Given the fact that some benchmarks are putting the S4 pro in the X at the same level as the S4 pro QUAD CORE from last year, its very likely its the same case as the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you believe these companies like Google and Motorola don't know what they are doing? I think they do. I'm not saying that I think you are wrong in your assessment of the device. In saying that consumers are going to eat this up because it appeals to mainstream. Different colors, gimmicks, made in America campaign; people are going to be drawn to this product and Google knows it. Just wait until the commercials come out and they become available on every carrier. They are going to fly off the shelves. That's what it's about. Not the specs, or even how it compares to other devices at the same price point. It's going to be about what the masses want and this is exactly what most consumers are going to want. Apple hang really produced a device that was superior in the specs department since the 3GS. But people have bought iPhone in droves. Why? Because they make products that the masses want. And they charge a premium for them.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Except unless you're on att they wont get that customization for who knows how long. Not to mention normal consumers buy a phone that day they aren't going to wait weeks/months for something they will most likely put a case on anyway

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Its not an old processor.

In case you missed it as well, the new Nexus 7 uses what is called an S4 Pro, but in fact uses the newer Krait core designs. We have no idea if that's the case here, but it is certainly a possibility. Given the fact that some benchmarks are putting the S4 pro in the X at the same level as the S4 pro QUAD CORE from last year, its very likely its the same case as the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Exactly!

This entire argument is stupid. Buying devices because of a spec sheet is stupid. Some people must brand, "My Smartphone has a QuadCore XXX" on their belt buckles or something. People can say that "specs don't matter is an Apple argument" all they want, but at the end of the day it's freaking valid. Go buy an S4 and brag about a spec sheet and pretend like the lag doesn't matter because of that spec sheet. It's retarded. Give me the device with the best experience.

Why have a phone with Quad Cores when Android isn't optimized for them (or freaking apps either for that matter)? What's the point? Why suffer with battery life for what is essentially a featureless feature? Someone logically explain that to me.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If they don't want a high end phone then they won't pay $199 on contract. This isn't even marketed toward regular consumers with that price. I mean when they walk into a store and see the s4's and htc ones with their 1080p screens and quad core processors they are going to say why is this priced the same as these when clearly it has lesser specs. Like what is going to "sell" the x? voice actions? Doubtful, the only thing I could see selling it is maybe its smaller size...
I'm guessing if they're in the store they're going to be actually using the phone to see how it compares to the others you mentioned....

...which is far more than you can say.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463