08-05-2013 05:46 PM
118 1234 ...
tools
    The phone was hyped to kingdom come and there is absolutely nothing special about it. The only 2 things Motorola keep emphasizing is 'made in USA' and customized colors, which are such minor features they can be ignored. The phone has no great software or user experience. The wake up commands would be called a gimmick if Samsung did it. It's still a typical locked Motorola device that will get updates much later than any Nexus, is full of bloatware and carrier limitations, and has year old specs.

In other words, its just another weekly Android phone and there really is no point treating it as something special apart from the fact that its from Motorola who are now owned by Google. That fact makes it even more disappointing.
    There no way to tell at this moment when the moto X is going to receive updates compared to other phones.

I don't mean for it to sound like I'm defending a phone I haven't even used yet, but Jesus people.
    08-01-2013 06:14 PM
    Again, your going off of on paper specs. Until we see reviews, more videos, and you get to try it out for yourself, I don't think it's far to write the phone off.
    The X phone is the same as the Ultra and Max. Moto makes them all. The "differences" are screen size and battery life. If you saw the droid presser it showed every feature the X has. When asked why the droids debuted before the X, moto guys said "I don't know we finished them at the same time".

It is a colossal failure to release a lesser version of the SAME phone at the SAME price and justify that discrepancy with rainbow backplates...
    hodan, Snareman and Roundpotato like this.
    08-01-2013 06:16 PM
    I'm aware... My point was who cares... the X doesn't have 1 redeeming feature that isn't available elsewhere for the same/similar price. The X was "supposed" to be a low priced phone that did everything really well (but perhaps not much amazingly well). The X still might do everything really well but it isn't at a low price. So that being said, unless you're OBSESSED with customization there isn't a reason to get an X for the sole reason (assuming it runs/reviews well) that is was priced horribly...
    Personally I like the curved back better than the fugly kevlar of the droid also
    08-01-2013 06:16 PM
    There no way to tell at this moment when the moto X is going to receive updates compared to other phones.

I don't mean for it to sound like I'm defending a phone I haven't even used yet, but Jesus people.
    You need to read more. It was already confirmed that updates will be controlled by each carrier. JUST LIKE OTHER PHONES that aren't nexus phones...
    Roundpotato and hodan like this.
    08-01-2013 06:17 PM
    Again, your going off of on paper specs. Until we see reviews, more videos, and you get to try it out for yourself, I don't think it's far to write the phone off.
    That is a good point and the success or failure of the phone just might depend on that. The only thing is that I think android phone users are a bit more aware of specs than iPhone users.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-01-2013 06:18 PM
    Personally I like the curved back better than the fugly kevlar of the droid also
    I do as well. But not enough to buy a lesser product and overlook the price issue...
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-01-2013 06:18 PM
    You need to read more. It was already confirmed that updates will be controlled by each carrier. JUST LIKE OTHER PHONES that aren't nexus phones...
    That's because this isn't a nexus. I don't get where people started thinking that from it was never supposed to be a nexus
    08-01-2013 06:19 PM
    I do as well. But not enough to buy a lesser product and overlook the price issue...
    What's lesser, you mean battery? I also prefer 4.7 screen size to 5
    08-01-2013 06:20 PM
    That's because this isn't a nexus. I don't get where people started thinking that from it was never supposed to be a nexus
    Exactly... The nexus 5 is coming sometime "before 2014" I don't understand where the confusion came from, but for non-verizon users the N5 would probably be worth the wait.
    08-01-2013 06:20 PM
    Exactly... The nexus 5 is coming sometime "before 2014" I don't understand where the confusion came from, but for non-verizon users the N5 would probably be worth the wait.
    Yeah agreed. My family swaps upgrades like mad so even though I have one of my own, my contract isn't up until January 2015. After that, I'll be looking to jump ship to a gsm carrier for some nexus love. My nexus 10 gave me the fever.
    08-01-2013 06:23 PM
    Lesser in terms of: It has smaller storage, smaller screen, smaller battery. Of what I just mentioned I mostly care about the battery/storage. I don't have particularly big hands. And my gripe is not that it has lesser specs, it's that is has lesser specs AT THE SAME PRICE.

Again the comparison is more accurate against the Droids because they're moto phones with the same features. The comparison is less fair (but still valid imo) against the S4 and HTC One
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-01-2013 06:23 PM
    Every one complains about price. You want to complain go buy a dumb phone a flip phone dam things cost as much with out contract as a smart phone why?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    08-01-2013 06:49 PM
    The phone is exactly what I was expecting. Looks good. Wasn't expecting them to use marketing to make up the spec difference between the x and the gs4 and one.

At the end of the day youre paying a premium because this isn't bleeding edge hardware but its priced like it is.... where is that premium coming from?
    08-01-2013 06:52 PM
    What did you expect?

How much were those expectations tied to reality versus how much were they pipe dreams that you couldn't let go of?

Just curious because I'm not really disappointed by much other than the lack of a 32gb option and delaying of Moto Maker for Verizon.
    I'm not super let down.....But I do wish it had an IR blaster and wireless charging. That woulda made my day better. Price I can deal with.
    08-01-2013 07:00 PM
    I'm going to wait for LG's announcement next week, and see if there is any info about the next Nexus phone or LG Optimus G2. I'm going to scratch the Moto X off my list. I will be looking forward for the the Note 3 or Nexus 5 announcements in the next few months.
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-01-2013 07:14 PM
    I will admit being excited about this phone, but uncannily the same amount as during the run-up hype for the RAZR. I remember how that turned out, so this surprises me not at all
    08-01-2013 07:23 PM
    I'm more disappointed that we don't have release dates. And why are only certain carriers getting the motomaker first. It should be aval to everyone at the same time. Everything else about the phone leaked, so we were already aware of all the specs. I just want carrier release dates. That was my biggest disappointment.
    The only thing I would add is the lack of global availability.
    08-01-2013 07:35 PM
    What did you expect?

How much were those expectations tied to reality versus how much were they pipe dreams that you couldn't let go of?

Just curious because I'm not really disappointed by much other than the lack of a 32gb option and delaying of Moto Maker for Verizon.
    Oh, I thought you were starting a support group!

I wasn't let down either, and not surprised. I am disappointed that they're using mid-range display, storage and processor - but selling it at flagship prices.

Seriously, who buys this over an S4 or One?

Roundpotato and JFH8 like this.
    08-01-2013 08:06 PM
    Maybe a lot of it was wishcasting, but there was at least reasonable expectations of both. Both the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4 were very modestly priced off-contract, and there was reason to think Google would continue pushing that pricing model through Motorola.
    Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I think you're downplaying the extent to which Motorola hyped something revolutionary and instead we're getting just another phone. A totally decent looking phone with some quality attributes, but just another phone at a price that's not competitive.

Edit: put slightly differently, why would I buy this over an 80-dollar on-contract HTC One or something?
    Exactly!

Roundpotato likes this.
    08-01-2013 08:08 PM
    Thank you, the prerelease hype and delusion were approaching epic levels prior to the official announcement of the MotoX. You'd think this was the android version of the second coming of Christ the way everyone was going on.

And with the grumbling of the price and why Moto simply won't release the phone at a price point based on fan wishes and expectations...

I think some people need some experience running a big business before they start condemning from the comfort of their high & mighty Internet seats.

Everyone assumes because Motorola wad purchased by Google that Moto = Google and thus would fully convert to exactly the same business practices when it comes to selling phones.

Time for a reality check.

Sent from my HTC One Sinless ver 2.7 Google Edition rom
    08-01-2013 08:09 PM
    Maybe a lot of it was wishcasting, but there was at least reasonable expectations of both. Both the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4 were very modestly priced off-contract, and there was reason to think Google would continue pushing that pricing model through Motorola.
    The Moto X is not a Nexus phone. It's from Motorola. Motorola, in case you haven't heard or are being willfully ignorant, is in dire need of money.

You wanted the phone to have Nexus pricing, but there really is no reason for that to happen.

Edit: put slightly differently, why would I buy this over an 80-dollar on-contract HTC One or something?
    The reasons I would buy it instead of the One:

1. Motorola radios
    2. Motorola battery life
    3. Sense-free interface

Hell, the One could be free, but I still wouldn't take it because of those three things.
    Lanzeelus likes this.
    08-01-2013 08:12 PM
    Hmmmm, where to start...carrier exclusives, display (resolution and crapoled), storage.

Wait. Were you asking a rhetorical question?

Roundpotato likes this.
    08-01-2013 08:12 PM
    What you're forgetting is that for essentially the same price you can get the SAME EXACT PHONE, BUT BETTER, in the Droid Max or Droid Ultra. Hell they're both moto phones using the same tech with the same features EXCEPT they won't have wood. My fault, everyone want's that game-changing wood.

Moto could not have screwed the X up worse...
    The Droid phones are not assembled in the US. This one is. I think we are all aware that the cost to manufacture a phone in the US is going to be more than to manufacture it overseas.

I'm sorry, but those people working in the US plants need to be paid.
    08-01-2013 08:14 PM
    Everyone is happy that it's assembled in the US, but then complain about the price. This is the cost of having electronics assembled outside of Asia, Motorola need to factor in the much higher cost of wages.
    Seriously, I love how some people expect to have it both ways:

1. Made in 'Murica, YEAH!!

2. I won't pay this much for a phone not made in SE Asia!!

:rolleyes:

08-01-2013 08:15 PM
    Seriously, I love how some people expect to have it both ways:

1. Made in 'Murica, YEAH!!

2. I won't pay this much for a phone not made in SE Asia!!

:rolleyes:

Or maybe different people said those things and you combined them in your head.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Roundpotato likes this.
    08-01-2013 08:16 PM
118 1234 ...