For those who are let down...

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
What did you expect?

How much were those expectations tied to reality versus how much were they pipe dreams that you couldn't let go of?

Just curious because I'm not really disappointed by much other than the lack of a 32gb option and delaying of Moto Maker for Verizon.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
What did you expect?

How much were those expectations tied to reality versus how much were they pipe dreams that you couldn't let go of?

Just curious because I'm not really disappointed by much other than the lack of a 32gb option and delaying of Moto Maker for Verizon.

What did I expect? Anything other than this. This is a joke.

I expected stock Android at a reasonable price. Instead we got bloatware at a high-end price.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
What did I expect? Anything other than this. This is a joke.

I expected stock Android at a reasonable price. Instead we got bloatware at a high-end price.

Why would you expect pure Android when the leaks already indicated that the phone would not have pure Android?

What is a reasonable price and why did you have that expectation?

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Why would you expect pure Android when the leaks already indicated that the phone would not have pure Android?

What is a reasonable price and why did you have that expectation?

Let me rephrase: I didn't expect carrier bloatware, and we had reason to expect it would be basically stock, with small modifications like always-on voice recognition. There's a qualitative difference between bloatware and what we had heard in leaks.

And reasonable probably means 400 or less off-contract. I'd have been willing to pay 400, I think. I know a lot of folks were hoping for less than that though. Even if that might have been ambitious, 200+2 years is a joke when there are a ton of other phones on the market at that price. At that price, there's nothing to distinguish the Moto X, except in negative contrast.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Admittedly I was expecting Nexus level pricing, say $350 dollar range out the door.

I was not expecting on-contract pricing with a high off-contract price.

Other than that fact I am not terribly surprised and specs are as already reported.

Dan

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Let me rephrase: I didn't expect carrier bloatware, and we had reason to expect it would be basically stock, with small modifications like always-on voice recognition. There's a qualitative difference between bloatware and what we had heard in leaks.

And reasonable probably means 400 or less off-contract. I'd have been willing to pay 400, I think. I know a lot of folks were hoping for less than that though. Even if that might have been ambitious, 200+2 years is a joke when there are a ton of other phones on the market at that price. At that price, there's nothing to distinguish the Moto X, except in negative contrast.

Honestly, you know the history of the carriers and the industry. There really was no strong reason to expect no bloatware or such a low retail price.

Wishes don't always come true, people.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Nothing shocked me, it is a Motorola phone. If you want bloat free 4.3 os then buy a nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, you know the history of the carriers and the industry. There really was no strong reason to expect no bloatware or such a low retail price.

Wishes don't always come true, people.

Maybe a lot of it was wishcasting, but there was at least reasonable expectations of both. Both the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4 were very modestly priced off-contract, and there was reason to think Google would continue pushing that pricing model through Motorola.
Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I think you're downplaying the extent to which Motorola hyped something revolutionary and instead we're getting just another phone. A totally decent looking phone with some quality attributes, but just another phone at a price that's not competitive.

Edit: put slightly differently, why would I buy this over an 80-dollar on-contract HTC One or something?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I think everyone was being unrealistic with their expectations quite frankly. Were spoiled with nexus pricing. What we fail to realize is that nexus is its own separate thing. Its not all Google is going to do.

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I think all the techies get caught in specs and forget people actually want things on their phones that have actual use.

All the crap Samsung puts on their phones is mostly useless. Their phones have lag and seem thrown together for the most part. And don't tell me I can root and flash. 99% of the people that buy phones don't do this and could care less. They want to pick something and it be useful immediately.

This phone may be what is needed to get some traction against iPhone in user experience. Have people even read the details? It has four cores just not on one processor so that battery can be extended. Always on voice is amazing for usability.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a lot of it was wishcasting, but there was at least reasonable expectations of both. Both the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4 were very modestly priced off-contract, and there was reason to think Google would continue pushing that pricing model through Motorola.
Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I think you're downplaying the extent to which Motorola hyped something revolutionary and instead we're getting just another phone. A totally decent looking phone with some quality attributes, but just another phone at a price that's not competitive.

Edit: put slightly differently, why would I buy this over an 80-dollar on-contract HTC One or something?

Your going to have a experience that isn't close to stock android, your still going to deal with bloatware, you don't know how well HTC will support the phone, or if they're even going to be in business this time next year.

Even though Google says they aren't giving Motorola special treatment,I'm still more confident of them receiving timely updates compared to everyone else.

Again,people who actually USED the phone today seem largely positive of it. Were judging it off of what it is on paper.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
All the rumors and leaks pointed to this being a midrange phone(and I can't prove it, but I'm certain Googorola was behind a lot of that info getting out) so I expected to pay for a midrange phone. People were saying $250 off contract and I thought that was ridiculous, but $350 would be fair. Everything I've read and seen today points to this being a midrange phone. I'm ok with that and would be willing to buy it, just not at a top tier price.
Secondly, look at every bit of advertising Google's done for this phone. What do you see? "Designed by you" over and over "Designed by you" Everyone in the company who spoke about it up until now said "designed by you" Eric Schmidt plasters a picture of him with a customized X all over the web. "Designed by you" But guess what? I'm on Verizon, so I can't design my own.
I feel like Google's first phone is basically Apple's latest phone because everything they did seems like an Apple move. Put out a midrange phone, market the hell out of it and overcharge for it. but hey, everybody says the X is smooth...which is exactly what everyone says about the iphone. Maybe it should be called the Moto i.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
$575.00 is a little high, but I guess reasonable. I'm more disappointed that we don't have release dates. And why are only certain carriers getting the motomaker first. It should be aval to everyone at the same time. Everything else about the phone leaked, so we were already aware of all the specs. I just want carrier release dates. That was my biggest disappointment.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

green_comet

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Everyone is happy that it's assembled in the US, but then complain about the price. This is the cost of having electronics assembled outside of Asia, Motorola need to factor in the much higher cost of wages.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone was being unrealistic with their expectations quite frankly. Were spoiled with nexus pricing. What we fail to realize is that nexus is its own separate thing. Its not all Google is going to do.

Not only that, but remember that Google is eating the margin on the Nexus line. Imagine how other Android OEMs would react if Motorola suddenly started selling their phones will little concern for profit margin? It could tear apart the ecosystem and leave Android much worse off. Now I do expect Motorola to try and push down prices and decouple the process of buying a phone from carriers (Moto Maker anyone???), but you can't really expect them to do it all at once without repercussions.

Boomax24

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
What did you expect?

What you're forgetting is that for essentially the same price you can get the SAME EXACT PHONE, BUT BETTER, in the Droid Max or Droid Ultra. Hell they're both moto phones using the same tech with the same features EXCEPT they won't have wood. My fault, everyone want's that game-changing wood.

Moto could not have screwed the X up worse...

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
What you're forgetting is that for essentially the same price you can get the SAME EXACT PHONE, BUT BETTER, in the Droid Max or Droid Ultra. Hell they're both moto phones using the same tech with the same features EXCEPT they won't have wood. My fault, everyone want's that game-changing wood.

Moto could not have screwed the X up worse...

You forget that those droid phones are only on Verizon. And honestly, I think moto could give a toss about those droid phones. They put them out because they're were obligated to.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm let down with myself for completely drinking the kool aid that this was possibly going to have Nexus-"esque" subsidized pricing despite the fact that there were many level headed voices in these forums constantly cautioning against unrealistic expectations. It was a good life lesson for me to remember to keep expectations reasonable.

Posted via Android Central App

Boomax24

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
You forget that those droid phones are only on Verizon. And honestly, I think moto could give a toss about those droid phones. They put them out because they're were obligated to.
That's still doesn't change facts. It's the same phone for the same price but worse... So no one on verizon SHOULD buy a X over a new droid unless they have a hard on for wood.

Similarly (but not exactly since they aren't the same phones feature wise) no one should buy an X over a S4 or a HTC One for said network/carrier...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I didn't expect much and my expectations were met. I saw a low-to-mid range phone. That's what you got.

Not rooted, Stock rom, just Awesome (NSA)