For those who are let down...

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I will admit being excited about this phone, but uncannily the same amount as during the run-up hype for the RAZR. I remember how that turned out, so this surprises me not at all

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm more disappointed that we don't have release dates. And why are only certain carriers getting the motomaker first. It should be aval to everyone at the same time. Everything else about the phone leaked, so we were already aware of all the specs. I just want carrier release dates. That was my biggest disappointment.

The only thing I would add is the lack of global availability.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
What did you expect?

How much were those expectations tied to reality versus how much were they pipe dreams that you couldn't let go of?

Just curious because I'm not really disappointed by much other than the lack of a 32gb option and delaying of Moto Maker for Verizon.

Oh, I thought you were starting a support group!

I wasn't let down either, and not surprised. I am disappointed that they're using mid-range display, storage and processor - but selling it at flagship prices.

Seriously, who buys this over an S4 or One?

Posted via Android Central App

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a lot of it was wishcasting, but there was at least reasonable expectations of both. Both the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4 were very modestly priced off-contract, and there was reason to think Google would continue pushing that pricing model through Motorola.
Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I think you're downplaying the extent to which Motorola hyped something revolutionary and instead we're getting just another phone. A totally decent looking phone with some quality attributes, but just another phone at a price that's not competitive.

Edit: put slightly differently, why would I buy this over an 80-dollar on-contract HTC One or something?

Exactly!

Kayone73

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, the prerelease hype and delusion were approaching epic levels prior to the official announcement of the MotoX. You'd think this was the android version of the second coming of Christ the way everyone was going on.

And with the grumbling of the price and why Moto simply won't release the phone at a price point based on fan wishes and expectations...

I think some people need some experience running a big business before they start condemning from the comfort of their high & mighty Internet seats.

Everyone assumes because Motorola wad purchased by Google that Moto = Google and thus would fully convert to exactly the same business practices when it comes to selling phones.

Time for a reality check.

Sent from my HTC One Sinless ver 2.7 Google Edition rom

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Maybe a lot of it was wishcasting, but there was at least reasonable expectations of both. Both the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4 were very modestly priced off-contract, and there was reason to think Google would continue pushing that pricing model through Motorola.

The Moto X is not a Nexus phone. It's from Motorola. Motorola, in case you haven't heard or are being willfully ignorant, is in dire need of money.

You wanted the phone to have Nexus pricing, but there really is no reason for that to happen.

Edit: put slightly differently, why would I buy this over an 80-dollar on-contract HTC One or something?

The reasons I would buy it instead of the One:

1. Motorola radios
2. Motorola battery life
3. Sense-free interface

Hell, the One could be free, but I still wouldn't take it because of those three things.

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
What you're forgetting is that for essentially the same price you can get the SAME EXACT PHONE, BUT BETTER, in the Droid Max or Droid Ultra. Hell they're both moto phones using the same tech with the same features EXCEPT they won't have wood. My fault, everyone want's that game-changing wood.

Moto could not have screwed the X up worse...

The Droid phones are not assembled in the US. This one is. I think we are all aware that the cost to manufacture a phone in the US is going to be more than to manufacture it overseas.

I'm sorry, but those people working in the US plants need to be paid.

Kayone73

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Everyone is happy that it's assembled in the US, but then complain about the price. This is the cost of having electronics assembled outside of Asia, Motorola need to factor in the much higher cost of wages.

Seriously, I love how some people expect to have it both ways:

1. Made in 'Murica, YEAH!!

2. I won't pay this much for a phone not made in SE Asia!!

:rolleyes:

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, I love how some people expect to have it both ways:

1. Made in 'Murica, YEAH!!

2. I won't pay this much for a phone not made in SE Asia!!

:rolleyes:

Or maybe different people said those things and you combined them in your head.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

May 2, 2013
Visit site
What did you expect?

How much were those expectations tied to reality versus how much were they pipe dreams that you couldn't let go of?

Just curious because I'm not really disappointed by much other than the lack of a 32gb option and delaying of Moto Maker for Verizon.

The lack of 32 or even a 64gb version on Sprint, the ATT exclusive on the 32gb and customization(for now, but both are completely bogus) and the price, so far is off the mark for me. Yeah, there are a few cool features and the customization is nice, but for the same price, there is nothing here to make me purchase this over the One. But on the other hand, if they are able to get this on every carrier, it gives me hope for a Sprint equipped Nexus 5.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The phone is exactly what I was expecting. Looks good. Wasn't expecting them to use marketing to make up the spec difference between the x and the gs4 and one.

At the end of the day youre paying a premium because this isn't bleeding edge hardware but its priced like it is.... where is that premium coming from?

Apparently Moto has the luxury of acting like the same idiots they've always acted like. Business as usual. This phone is proof that Google had no business buying Moto.

The only way to save this whole shebang is if Moto is making the Nexus 5 and it ISN'T like this.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how much push back Moto got from the carriers?

I mean they may have said we are thinking about a certain price for the X phone and the carriers balked because it removed the incentive to sign a contract and we all know that contracts are the bread and butter of the phone business.

If the Moto X was simply GSM/LTE based without any CDMA innards, than Moto could have said shove off to the carriers and priced the device at whatever price they desired, sold it unlocked and that would have been that.

Instead they wanted wide distribution and that means CDMA and more cooperation with the carriers, especially VZW which all know loves CONTROL.

I am still disappointed, I am going to wait for the Nexus 5 and I can because I use GSM, but the CDMA folks again get the shaft as they are at the mercy of the carriers and their (the carriers) wants and desires, not the customers.

Dan

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Not many people at this jack arse price.

I was looking forward to getting this to replace my ageing Gnex. Most of the stuff that has been known and that had been implied did point to it being midrange. With that knowledge, it was expected that pricing would be in line with that. What we got was just that but with the difference of there being two extra dsp's for the power down features. I'm sorry but if they think that is enough to justify this ridiculous price. I really want whatever they are smoking. Cause it must be great stuff.

Now if they had all this but the cpu was top board I could understand. As it is this is a failure of the first order. Now we know why this event was done the way it was. They knew this flack was going to be coming their way. And they soo mightily deserve all of it.

Kayone73

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Or maybe different people said those things and you combined them in your head.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nevertheless if you treat the Moto fanbase as a whole (and we are), that is the collective response.

And I know individuals who said almost exactly what I wrote above, despite knowing how contradictory they sounded.

apcman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I just think that most people by the phones in their individual carriers store. I don't see how this will sell if it is next to the S4. The galaxy line is very well known and if it is sitting next to a phone with a huge 1080P screen this phone might get thrown to the wayside. I want to get a phone that will last me for two years and I just don't know what android or future apps will demand in a year. Google does not know either. If I am going to spend 200-300 dollars on a phone, it better be able to handle the demands for the future. A lime green back does not warrant a higher price, I never knew someone to turn down a phone because of the back color. People mention the iphone has duel core, but that is different. That is one company making that phone and they tell the developers that these are the specs so do what you can with them. Android has a wide variety of of chips and different phones. A developer might write a program that does utilize that chips capabilities and eventually the X may not be able to handle it. A premium price does warrant the best specs possible and Moto dropped the ball. They are selling a mid tier phone for a premium price and pocketing the different and to me that is a little misleading. I for one will take my funds to buy a true premium device and if they want to charge a a lower price then I could understand. I could then see my self buying it but now as it stands, I will look at a different device.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I am not complaining about the price, I am complaining about the specs...if I wanted a mid range phone I would have kept my razr...but after seeing what the X had inside...I went with the S4

Everyone is happy that it's assembled in the US, but then complain about the price. This is the cost of having electronics assembled outside of Asia, Motorola need to factor in the much higher cost of wages.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
But u look its not a mid range device. 2gb 8core soc newest WiFi radios dual antenna lte micro sim.
I am not complaining about the price, I am complaining about the specs...if I wanted a mid range phone I would have kept my razr...but after seeing what the X had inside...I went with the S4

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I see many readers saying they will wait for the new Nexus phone....but what happens if the new Nexus phone doesn't have LTE again or worst....it doesn't come at all.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
After rethinking things over the last day.....I think the biggest annoyance for me is that they didn't reveal anything. They had no live event to show off their new hardware. They just said here it is. They opened up a website that people can't even use. Gave NO date on ANY carrier on which we can buy the phone. They won't tell us when we can order it straight from Moto and the pricing and which carriers the unlocked version will work with. Why have all these graphics that say August 1st when in reality the only thing we know are the specs that have been confirmed days, if not weeks before?

They tease us for at least a month, maybe longer. Say there are surprises that haven't been leaked yet(Didn't see any)and overall didn't deliver anything special.

I have small disappointments about the hardware but people forget easily. Saying this phone will be available sometime later imo is setup for failure. Esp when you are targeting a young crowd with this and seem to be doing advertising on social media. It just seems pointless to reveal a phone and not have it released within hours or days of you revealing it. It's even more pointless to reveal it and say that the launch days are still to be determined.