For those who are let down...

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I just think that most people by the phones in their individual carriers store. I don't see how this will sell if it is next to the S4. The galaxy line is very well known and if it is sitting next to a phone with a huge 1080P screen this phone might get thrown to the wayside.

When was the last time you were in a store observing the way someone was shopping?

The last time I was in a carrier's store was a few weeks ago. A woman was in there to replace her Blackberry. The rep showed her the GS4, and as soon as the woman saw it, she didn't want it. Why? It was too big. She wanted something that wouldn't be difficult to hold and she refused to consider a Samsung because they were all just too big for her.

I think the Moto X is going to do better than people think. It appears to be a nice size, and from all accounts, it fits well into people's hands. The screen is nice enough. And no, most people are not going to be thinking, "How well is this going to run apps 18 months from now?" They want something that feels good to them right at the moment when they are shopping in the store.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So much judgment for a device without even seeing or using it first. I haven't seen it at this level since the S4 was announced.

:(

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
When was the last time you were in a store observing the way someone was shopping?

The last time I was in a carrier's store was a few weeks ago. A woman was in there to replace her Blackberry. The rep showed her the GS4, and as soon as the woman saw it, she didn't want it. Why? It was too big. She wanted something that wouldn't be difficult to hold and she refused to consider a Samsung because they were all just too big for her.

I think the Moto X is going to do better than people think. It appears to be a nice size, and from all accounts, it fits well into people's hands. The screen is nice enough. And no, most people are not going to be thinking, "How well is this going to run apps 18 months from now?" They want something that feels good to them right at the moment when they are shopping in the store.

You're right about that. Most the rage here is from ppl who were rdy to buy this thing off contract and they don't consider an average consumer walking into the store.

I think they did a fairly good job at creating this phone. Their biggest mistake imo was giving ATT exclusive on designing the phone. Because once Verizon/Sprint/T-Mo gets it who knows what the competition will have out by that time. I think the big thing on whether this will sell or not is up to the sales staff and how willing they are to push it over something like the S4. I'm not sales person but Samsung has a good name and ppl know that, so if I were looking at an easy sale that might be the first thing I would suggest.

I think an average consumer would be fairly happy with this phone. Unfortunately what makes it unique is only available to about 100m ppl instead of 300m ppl.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Why its not a Google phone. Aka nexus. Its a Motorola phone just like Samsung, lg, HTC etc. Google isn't going to price as a nexus because its not a nexus. This phone will sell more then any nexus regardless of price.
I expected it to be 299 or 349 retail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I can deal with the locked bootloader and other stuff. I was hoping for timely updates. Maybe not as timely as the Nexus line but within a few weeks. Now that seems like a distant hope at best. Wanted to see if getting the better radios and battery was going to help. Unless they surprise us somehow in off contract pricing this is little more than a paperweight for me. Scratch that I can do more with the paperweight.

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I seriously think that all of the carrier should have gotten the customizing ability and the 32gb model. By the way, isn't it creepy how round potatoe is liking and thanking most of the posts.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
But u look its not a mid range device. 2gb 8core soc newest WiFi radios dual antenna lte micro sim.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

You are buying the hype......
They need to support LTE and the latest Wifi. They get that from Qualcomm.
They have their custom contextual and natural language processors. That is different but the rest is a Snapdragon with only two cores and the GPU that the S600 has.
It's missing two compute cores to be considered high end.

Up until now nobody ever added GPU into the mix when counting cores.
It's not high end. it's about middle of the range or a bit above.
Remember those other cores do one thing or maybe a couple of things and aren't used for running apps.

it's not a bad device, but the GS4 and the HTC One are 8 core and have also have a base band processor.

The real benchmark is application processors and GPU performance in FPS at a particular resolution.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You are buying the hype......
They need to support LTE and the latest Wifi. They get that from Qualcomm.
They have their custom contextual and natural language processors. That is different but the rest is a Snapdragon with only two cores and the GPU that the S600 has.
It's missing two compute cores to be considered high end.

Up until now nobody ever added GPU into the mix when counting cores.
It's not high end. it's about middle of the range or a bit above.
Remember those other cores do one thing or maybe a couple of things and aren't used for running apps.

it's not a bad device, but the GS4 and the HTC One are 8 core and have also have a base band processor.

The real benchmark is application processors and GPU performance in FPS at a particular resolution.

They just do two things that would suck up a ton of battery and computer cycles if the general CPU cores had to do them.

Yeah, no big deal really. :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Rackshatta

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Everyone that would care to be commenting on this thread is probably only around 1% of the entire Android smartphone market. Most people with their smartphones will choose one that looks fancy over one with "The highest specs". I'll use my cousin for example. If she walked into an AT&T store to upgrade her phone (cause that's what she does). She will probably see the gs4 think its ugly the HTC one and think its super sleek but very large, and the X which she would probably think is just right, see that she can customize it, and choose that phone. Plus In the business world having cool stylish and unique devices could give you a 1 up on your competition. It makes you look rich and successful.

Who can even tell the difference between a 1080p 5 inch screen vs a 720p 4.7 inch phone. Performance wise the X beats or ties with the Nexus 4 and HTC one at almost all its benchmarks, and beats the GS4 about half the time. Especially on the onscreen game tests but even on the offscreen tests. Everyone that's used it has said that its been really smooth and they like it. Do we really need 4 cores when the Nexus 4 performs day to day tasks with 2 of its cores turned off (which I did)?

I don't think a lot of the people wishing this phone was 3-400 off contract even know how the Nexus 4 was cheaper. Motorola is still a hardware company! They need to make profits on their device! Google subsidized the N4! Google isn't allowed to subsidize a non nexus Motorola device due to the nature of their acquisition (or at least that's what I understand of it). The 3 main reasons this phone is more expensive is #1 its assembled in the USA so assembly costs more. #2 It has 3 processors instead of just 1, its like buying 3 cereal boxes instead of getting a larger bag. #3 Right now the Carriers are having huge influence on the devices cost.

Personally once I could get a customized Moto x for myself on T-mobile I would. The always listening feature is something I would really use! I don't use Google now for searching because its faster to just pull it up in a browser, the always listening makes it much faster and easier. The screen displaying notifications and info is the biggest seller for me. That's a hugely useful feature to me, and to people that don't use their phone all day (the average consumer). Having the time and notifications just pop up quickly without changing a button will be really make things run smoother.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Everyone that would care to be commenting on this thread is probably only around 1% of the entire Android smartphone market. Most people with their smartphones will choose one that looks fancy over one with "The highest specs". I'll use my cousin for example. If she walked into an AT&T store to upgrade her phone (cause that's what she does). She will probably see the gs4 think its ugly the HTC one and think its super sleek but very large, and the X which she would probably think is just right, see that she can customize it, and choose that phone. Plus In the business world having cool stylish and unique devices could give you a 1 up on your competition. It makes you look rich and successful.

Who can even tell the difference between a 1080p 5 inch screen vs a 720p 4.7 inch phone. Performance wise the X beats or ties with the Nexus 4 and HTC one at almost all its benchmarks, and beats the GS4 about half the time. Especially on the onscreen game tests but even on the offscreen tests. Everyone that's used it has said that its been really smooth and they like it. Do we really need 4 cores when the Nexus 4 performs day to day tasks with 2 of its cores turned off (which I did)?

I don't think a lot of the people wishing this phone was 3-400 off contract even know how the Nexus 4 was cheaper. Motorola is still a hardware company! They need to make profits on their device! Google subsidized the N4! Google isn't allowed to subsidize a non nexus Motorola device due to the nature of their acquisition (or at least that's what I understand of it). The 3 main reasons this phone is more expensive is #1 its assembled in the USA so assembly costs more. #2 It has 3 processors instead of just 1, its like buying 3 cereal boxes instead of getting a larger bag. #3 Right now the Carriers are having huge influence on the devices cost.

Personally once I could get a customized Moto x for myself on T-mobile I would. The always listening feature is something I would really use! I don't use Google now for searching because its faster to just pull it up in a browser, the always listening makes it much faster and easier. The screen displaying notifications and info is the biggest seller for me. That's a hugely useful feature to me, and to people that don't use their phone all day (the average consumer). Having the time and notifications just pop up quickly without changing a button will be really make things run smoother.

People will not buy this phone over the One or S4. The One is cooler looking - and I have a hard time believing the display of the Moto X will be its equal. The sales people have incentives to push the S4 - maybe they will have the same thing with the X, no clue.

Your reasons for the "increased" cost are not correct imo. Moto priced the X as a flagship phone - and $550-$650 is flagship pricing for everyone. It has nothing to do with the assembly cost or the parts. The Moto X is using a cheaper cpu than the S4, the One and several other flagship phones, so Moto is saving money on that.

I agree that it would be quite convenient to just talk to your phone and not have to turn it on to see notifications. The phone has some cool features - but if it would have had the newest processor, a 1080 lcd display, and 32gb of storage, everyone on here banging on the phone (me included) would be talking it up instead of talking it down.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Your reasons for the "increased" cost are not correct imo. Moto priced the X as a flagship phone - and $550-$650 is flagship pricing for everyone. It has nothing to do with the assembly cost or the parts. The Moto X is using a cheaper cpu than the S4, the One and several other flagship phones, so Moto is saving money on that.

Processor costs don't fluctuate much, they're around $20 for the S600, $28 for the Exynos, this X8 is probably in the $15-$25 range. The 16GB Qualcomm S4 costs about $234 to build, while the 16GB Moto X is projected by Goldman Sachs to be $225. That $9 difference isn't playing out in the margins the same way people think it is. Clearly Samsung has more potential for profit on their $649 device than Moto is on their $575 device.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it would be quite convenient to just talk to your phone and not have to turn it on to see notifications. The phone has some cool features - but if it would have had the newest processor, a 1080 lcd display, and 32gb of storage, everyone on here banging on the phone (me included) would be talking it up instead of talking it down.

This quite true. I can deal with the 720p amoled screen for the valid reasons. The cpu and carrier exclusives just kill it at this price. Otherwise what you said is correct we would all be salivating just waiting to get this bad boy. As it is now it can put on the dunce cap and sit in the corner.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
They just do two things that would suck up a ton of battery and computer cycles if the general CPU cores had to do them.

Yeah, no big deal really. :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

That's like applauding Samsung if they put a dual core in the s4 but added dedicated cores to handle the hover touch thing.

I think whether moto wins on this or not is whether voice is a gimmick or a feature that moves phone.

BecomingDeath13

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I was pretty bummed about it too. Well at least that's one thing less to consider using my upgrade on.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Nexus devices have absolutely nothing to do with the Moto X.

People make far too many assumptions here with blatantly unrealistic and unreasonable expectations.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21