08-19-2013 09:11 AM
109 1234 ...
tools
    I use the Galaxy Nexus and have been itching for a new phone. At first read, I was turned off by the specs of the Moto X. But after some thought, I'd probably pick it up over the Ultra/Maxx if:

1) Performance is silky smooth and quick.
    2) Battery life is amazing. I know the Droid line has more mah, but with the Moto X's less demanding display and optimizations, it may last just as long.

Although I'd love to have the top end specs, I'd rather have awesome performance and battery life.

Will wait for reviews of both before I jump the gun.
    08-02-2013 01:53 AM
    You also get 50 GB of Drive storage for two years with X

Posted via Android Central App
    ki11ak3nn likes this.
    08-02-2013 02:19 AM
    I am leaning towards the Droid Maxx for the larger battery and 32GB memory. I need the memory because it is not practical for me to keep everything in the cloud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    08-02-2013 03:14 AM
    Your battery is just degrading and losing capacity

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    All FOUR of them are then, apparently.
    Stang68 likes this.
    08-02-2013 07:11 AM
    I am leaning towards the Droid Maxx for the larger battery and 32GB memory. I need the memory because it is not practical for me to keep everything in the cloud.

Same here...I just hope that 720p screen looks alright at 5inches.
    08-02-2013 07:28 AM
    Given the choice, I'd go with the X. Although at this point I'm not sure I'd want to sell my GS4 for it. I know hell will freeze over before Verizon gets another Nexus but I'm going to bid my time till October/November. Maybe at that point I'll be ready to make the jump from Big Red.
    Aquila and Premium1 like this.
    08-02-2013 07:51 AM
    I'm also torn between the Maxx and the Moto X.

I'd love the Maxx's battery (I have a Maxx HD currently), but I'm leaning towards the Moto X for a couple of reasons, especially if the Moto X is truly battery-efficient.

- Smaller overall phone despite minor screen size difference (4.7 vs. 5.0 but Moto X has much less bezel). Lighter as well. The Maxx HD I have can get kinda heavy given because of the battery. I have smaller hands and don't need a jumbo phone.

- Given that the Moto X is available on multiple carriers, software updates may be more frequent / less delayed (though this IS Verizon we're talking about). The Droid series are Verizon-only devices, so OS updates may be less frequent despite same basic hardware architecture.

- On-screen navigation buttons versus bezel buttons. I had a tendency to hit the hardware capacitive buttons accidentally when typing on my old GS3 in landscape, so I'm concerned it'll happen here as well. I haven't hit them accidentally with the on-screen navigation buttons on my Maxx HD so far.

- Potentially more developer support since it's available on multiple carriers.
    08-02-2013 10:11 AM

This.

I'm going to wait a month or so after the new Droid line is released and see what if any major problems they have. 16GB is way too small for me and the way I use my phone, so it has to be the Maxx. The extra battery life is a plus as well.
    08-02-2013 10:28 AM
    Is the Moto X confirmed as a world phone? I know the Ultra and the MAXX are. This would make my decision pretty easy.
    08-02-2013 12:09 PM
    I do like the look of the X better than the Ultra. But the Maxx version of the new Droid is going to be hard to resist with all that battery. I don't think there will be much performance difference in them, so basically it comes to ergonomics and looks. Based on what I'm seeing prices will be comparable. I have to say the X looks like it will feel better in the hand. I have a DNA with that form factor and the rounded back with thin edges sits well in the hand. Also the slightly smaller screen will make the phone easier to use.
    08-02-2013 03:43 PM
    I use the Galaxy Nexus and have been itching for a new phone. At first read, I was turned off by the specs of the Moto X. But after some thought, I'd probably pick it up over the Ultra/Maxx if:

1) Performance is silky smooth and quick.
    2) Battery life is amazing. I know the Droid line has more mah, but with the Moto X's less demanding display and optimizations, it may last just as long.

Although I'd love to have the top end specs, I'd rather have awesome performance and battery life.

Will wait for reviews of both before I jump the gun.
    The Droids have the same hardware and software so I'd expect them to be just as smooth as the X. And the Ultra, despite having a larger screen and a smaller battery, has better battery life.
    08-02-2013 09:13 PM
    if i am ever to buy a phone from verizon it would be Moto X

- - - Updated - - -

if i am ever to buy a phone from verizon it would be Moto X
    08-02-2013 09:22 PM
    Id go with the x since it is a smaller package with only .3 difference in screen size. That and a larger battery than ultra
    JungleLarry likes this.
    08-02-2013 10:24 PM
    Moto X all day. The 720p RGB is all it took. The Ultra has 720p Pen tile.

JungleLarry likes this.
    08-03-2013 10:28 AM
    I'd have to get down and dirty with both, but from what I've seen it looks like the X is better packaged. I'm not interested in a 5" screen.
    08-03-2013 01:12 PM
    The ultra does not have pentile it uses the same screen tech the moto x does I myself will be getting the maxx

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    08-03-2013 02:49 PM
    Until devices are LTE only, don't ever expect to see another Nexus on Verizon.
    Which should be next year...

The nexus 7 works on Verizon.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    08-03-2013 02:50 PM
    I have a RAZR and from the beginning, I have hated the battery life. Wished I had gotten a RAZR Maxx. This time, I'm getting the Maxx. I also happen to prefer my buttons not be on the screen. I don't care if they are physical or capacitive as long as they are off the screen. I actually have a slight preference for physical buttons as I accidentally press my capacitive buttons during games sometimes. As for the design, I like the look of the Kevlar on the Maxx. My RAZR doesn't even have an HD screen. So, the Maxx will be an improvement (still want to compare it to a One, but I doubt it will sway me). I want 32GB. All that is left is to verify that there will be a vehicle dock. It'd be nice if they incorporated wireless charging and wireless audio into the dock. Then I'd just have to snap it in, but as long as they don't decide to skip it altogether, I'll be happy. I used a generic car mount one time. Never again. I don't care how much it costs, I want a device specific car dock.
    08-03-2013 04:02 PM
    Kind of where I am, too, Chip. The orig. Razr clearly had an undersized battery and they freakin' knew it since only three months later, voila, Maxx. And the wouldn't let us trade. B@stards. The only time Moto really ticked me off. So now...I don't know that I trust them. The Ultra and X have only slightly larger batteries than our orig. Razr's...and yet with listening mics and other features, which must be battery burners? So how can they be enough? I've had my Razr 18 months now and the battery is about shot. It wants more juice every 4-6 hours now, even on wifi most of the time. So I'm leaning toward the new Maxx, even tho' it's another .1 inch wider than the already too wide Razr...frustrating to feel like I was lied to about batteries.
    08-03-2013 04:07 PM
    The Ultra and X have only slightly larger batteries than our orig. Razr's...and yet with listening mics and other features, which must be battery burners? So how can they be enough?
    I'm starting to hear really promising results regarding battery life with the X. One guy who was at the July 11 event has had the phone and he said he hasn't been able to kill it yet in a day. Joanna Stern tweeted yesterday that her X's battery was "still going strong at 42 percent after streaming awesome road trip jams for the last seven hours."
    08-03-2013 04:16 PM
    I'm starting to hear really promising results regarding battery life with the X. One guy who was at the July 11 event has had the phone and he said he hasn't been able to kill it yet in a day. Joanna Stern tweeted yesterday that her X's battery was "still going strong at 42 percent after streaming awesome road trip jams for the last seven hours."
    Phil's test phone was easily on track for 21-24 hours yesterday.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-03-2013 04:25 PM
    Definitely better than my Galaxy Nexus!
    08-03-2013 04:28 PM
    The ultra does not have pentile it uses the same screen tech the moto x does I myself will be getting the maxx

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    One if the blogs was talking **** on the Ultra for being Pen tile. Thanks for clarifying. I'm still going X just because it doesn't have that nasty glossy Kevlar and because its smaller. 4.5-4.7" is perfect to me.

08-03-2013 04:55 PM

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I'd like to see how that battery life holds up after a few months. Though, early reports do give reason for cautious optimism.
    08-03-2013 05:07 PM
    I'll admit that I'm on AT&T and not Verizon, so I can't really choose between any of the actual Droids.

For the Ultra vs X It appears that the choice is either to have a glossy red back, 0.5" more of screen estate (for a sacrifice in form factor), the droid branding, and the additional sharing functions or on the Moto X side to have less color (until Moto Maker arrives), slightly closer to stock android, arguably a better form factor, and a better Touchless Control activation phrase (I'll MUCH rather say OK Google Now rather than OK Moto Magic). Between these two I'd go for the X but there are a few differences that would have some people prefer the Ultra that I see.

That said, I'd be really torn between the Droid Maxx, Moto X, and Droid Mini. My favorite size phone is the Mini (I was seriously debating purchasing the international Razr M but my wife wouldn't allow me), although I assume the LCD screen completely eliminates the inclusion of the Active Display which is a big bummer for me. The Maxx has the 32 Gb of memory, huge battery, and wireless charging which all would just make me determine whether that's worth the extra $100.
    08-03-2013 06:02 PM
109 1234 ...