VZW Folk: Moto X or Droid Ultra??

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Somewhat surpisingly, moto's page lists the battery life on the Ultra as better than the X. I don't expect that either of them are accurate but it looks like they might expect the Ultra to somehow have better battery life despite having a smaller battery and bigger screen. My stance on the X has been changing a lot over the past 24 hours from reading reviews and I think I'll end up checking out both the X and the Ultra. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ultra because I love the way the red one looks and I can't get a red X until who knows when, but we'll see how I feel when I actually check each of them out in person.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
They all use 'ok Google now' as the command phrase. Also they are both relatively stockish.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Moto X for me. Just looking at motorola's site will tell you they don't care much about the phones. The X has a beautiful splash page with videos and high res photos. The droid phones have sparse pages with little info.

Further, they have nearly the same specs as the X, the x being better (IMO) because it has 802.11AC as someone that almost always has wifi nearby, this is more important to me than a bigger display. Finally I think the droid design is tired. I used to like the way they looked but it's kind of ugly (to me). Lastly, I don't like the cartoony icons. I know that this is easy to change via a launcher and a icon pack, but still. Again, these are my opinions. You may love the droids and in that case, great.

At the end of the day you need to buy what you want.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Same as you, Russel. Yes, same hardware and software, same features. Only diff is form factor and battery...ugh. I wish Moto hadn't lied to us about the Razr by releasing the Maxx three months later...they knew the Razr battery was too small and then wouldn't allow us to trade up. So is the X battery adequate? Esp. with the new features where it listens all the time for you to talk to it?

Not entirely true... The software is very similar but not the same. The X had some software features the Droids don't have and vice versa

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Which features does the X have that the droids don't?

Posted via Android Central App

None that I'm aware of in terms of software. The benefit of the X is on screen buttons (if that's a plus for you), available on more than one carrier, customization and a different (rounded) form factor.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I dumped moto altogether, I had the bionic...was suppose to be a awesome phone...right after it was released came the razr....so I gave the bionic to wife and got the razr...then the razr maxx then...on and on...instead of just making a good phone, they try to milk everyone, watch, the x will b e the same way..in 3 months the X HD or X maxx will be out...after seeing the specs on this flagship phone I just jumped ship to the galaxy S4....when moto get their act together I will come back...

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Moto X for me. Just looking at motorola's site will tell you they don't care much about the phones. The X has a beautiful splash page with videos and high res photos. The droid phones have sparse pages with little info.

Actually, because the Droid line is Verizon's baby and Verizon is on the hook to promote and advertise those particular phones. The X is more of a Motorola product and they are not able to depend on each of the carriers to handle that at the same level.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Can you provide examples? I have not found a difference yet, other than the ability to customize.

I think it is just the Droid zap and Droid control panel that is the difference. Very minor, but a little zap app could be the differentiating factor for a few people.

A question I have, are the Droids contextually aware? For instance, The X notices when you are driving and goes into driving mode, can the Droids do the same?

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a razr maxx (non HD). Phones dragging, and I want something new. I actually was ready to buy the X but at the price, I am really considering getting the mini. I wanted a smaller phone, and I believe battery life will work for me with a more efficient processor/optimized software. I take my phone everywhere....work, gym, running, etc. The ideal size for me is a bezel-less 4.5 but I was willing to go to the x considering its weight. After all said and done.....honestly given the same or similar specs I think the decision for me is not Moto X vs. Ultra its more Moto X vs. mini. I know, 4.3 is old school but its a phone not a tablet.....my fiancees kids can stop telling me to answer my flat screen TV :)

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I dumped moto altogether, I had the bionic...was suppose to be a awesome phone...right after it was released came the razr....so I gave the bionic to wife and got the razr...then the razr maxx then...on and on...instead of just making a good phone, they try to milk everyone, watch, the x will b e the same way..in 3 months the X HD or X maxx will be out...after seeing the specs on this flagship phone I just jumped ship to the galaxy S4....when moto get their act together I will come back...
So....your problem is that new, better devices are being released all the time, rendering the one you just bought a few months ago just a little obsolete?

Welcome to planet Earth. Enjoy your stay.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
A question I have, are the Droids contextually aware? For instance, The X notices when you are driving and goes into driving mode, can the Droids do the same?

Thanks for the point on Droid Zap. Not a factor for me, but may be for some.

I am pretty sure the Droids are contextually aware because they have Moto assist, which is the app that provides the feature. Also, they have the X8 architecture, so they are built for it. Can anybody confirm that? Being contextually aware is a feature I want.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the point on Droid Zap. Not a factor for me, but may be for some.

I am pretty sure the Droids are contextually aware because they have Moto assist, which is the app that provides the feature. Also, they have the X8 architecture, so they are built for it. Can anybody confirm that? Being contextually aware is a feature I want.

Ya not me either. I get the feeling that the two features may be similar but not the same. Because I remember leading up to the X event that they acted like the contextual awareness was something that nothing else will have. But who knows. Also, I am pretty sure I read an article today that said the focal lenses on the two cameras are different as well. Which could affect the picture quality?

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Further, they have nearly the same specs as the X, the x being better (IMO) because it has 802.11AC as someone that almost always has wifi nearby, this is more important to me than a bigger display. Finally I think the droid design is tired. I used to like the way they looked but it's kind of ugly (to me). Lastly, I don't like the cartoony icons. I know that this is easy to change via a launcher and a icon pack, but still. Again, these are my opinions. You may love the droids and in that case, great.

At the end of the day you need to buy what you want.

I thought the new Droids had 802.11ac, even the "mini" version has this.

I just gotta see them side by side in person. I would definitely want ac wifi or it's a no go.

mpsmit3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I just couldn't help myself with the Wirefly deal yesterday, DROID MAXX by MOTOROLA for Verizon Wireless - Wirefly.com. Plus, I found a $20 off coupon code (which I can't remember or find anymore, it was something like JB20). $180 seemed too good to pass up. My trusty Gnex needs to be charged about every 6 hours, even if I'm not using it. because I can't ever get signals at work. Never had a problem with my OG. I'm used to carring this around, so the "larger" phone is pretty much the same size as I'm used to. I so wanted the Moto X, but 16 GB isn't going to be enough, and I can't wait til Nov, I'm too impatient.

GNexROC

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
For me it comes down to stock (with a few additions) Android vs MotoBlurr. Moto X all the way. From what I can tell it is almost identical in size and shape to the Gnex that Im currently using. Im just hoping the camera will be at least a slight improvement to the Gnex's and that I will actually be able to make a phone call in which both parties are able to clearly understand each other without the mic cutting out every few minutes. Also being able to go more than a couple hours without having to find a charger would be nice. Im on Verizon and while Id love to wait until November or whenever to customize it but Im pretty sure Im not that patient. I am tempted to wait for the Nexus 5, especially now that its rumored to be a Moto device, but like others have said I doubt it will make it to the CDMA verizon.. So white Moto X here I come.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So white Moto X here I come.
I'd be careful with the combination of a white front faceplate and the AMOLED screen. We all know that AMOLED devices don't have the best color reproduction, and having a white reference right next to the screen will probably make it look worse.

That's all speculation, of course, since I haven't actually seen the device in person. Just going off what I've seen on videos.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Is the Moto X confirmed as a world phone? I know the Ultra and the MAXX are. This would make my decision pretty easy.

Anyone got an answer for this? I have the Galaxy Nexus and I'm eligible for an update on the 15th. Looks like I'm going to lose unlimited data. I don't use enough data to justify paying for a phone off contract. Looks like I'll have to travel to Europe for work and having a phone that works would be nice. It would be even better if it's a stock Android phone.