07-01-2015 01:37 PM
543 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Thanks for the info Phil. Two things:

1) Do you know if bootloaders are going to be locked on the X, specifically on AT&T, since they are notorious?

2) After using it a bit do you feel that the X can go toe to toe with the Galaxy S4, HTC One, and iPhone 5 priced the same? I won't call Moto X "mid-range", but the S4 and One do clearly out-spec the X, and iPhone of course has the Apple heritage and can always command a price premium. Key question for me is, does the X have enough stuff beyond the customization to directly compete at the $199 on contract level against those three heavy hitters?
    08-02-2013 10:48 AM
    Sure hope we didn't and without a link, I can't tell ya. But that's not how NFC works, nor is it anything I ever heard of in regards to the Moto X.
    I found the reference... It was on wired.com! Sorry, thought i read it here...

HANDS-FREE AUTHENTICATION. Only fools dont protect their phones with a password, but its a pain in the neck to punch it in a few hundred times a day. Motorola plans to ease that pain (though not available at launch) by selling plastic tokens that can clip onto clothingif the tab is within a few feet if the Moto X, no password necessary. (The tokens use NFC technology, built into the phones.) The Moto X will also let you set up password-free safe zones like your car.

I guess I was a little off on my description. It says NFC and a few feet... I sure would love to get a couple feet out of NFC tags!
    08-02-2013 10:50 AM
    Will the ok google now work when your phone is password protected? If so you mentioned that other people will set off your phone - will that mean that they can get by the password protection by saying ok google now?
    08-02-2013 10:53 AM
    Spec wise how does it compete? OK dual vs quad they win. But at 1.7gz speed the same Gpu the X has same same as s4 and one. Screen both are HD. As I see the X is slightly ahead of both phones. And motos radios and battery and above both devices. And yes it was reported yesterday the bootloader is locked. And cracking a moto bootloader is rough if not impossible.
    Thanks for the info Phil. Two things:

1) Do you know if bootloaders are going to be locked on the X, specifically on AT&T, since they are notorious?

2) After using it a bit do you feel that the X can go toe to toe with the Galaxy S4, HTC One, and iPhone 5 priced the same? I won't call Moto X "mid-range", but the S4 and One do clearly out-spec the X, and iPhone of course has the Apple heritage and can always command a price premium. Key question for me is, does the X have enough stuff beyond the customization to directly compete at the $199 on contract level against those three heavy hitters?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    08-02-2013 10:56 AM
    Hey Phil,

Thanks for the Q&A! I'm required to have a PIN/Password on my phone for work emails, will Quick Capture or Touchless Control still work?
    08-02-2013 11:01 AM
    Do you notice the phone hitching or being effected by its lower specs? Also, are you bothered by the screen?
    08-02-2013 11:03 AM
    Is the battery life looking good?
    This has been asked a few times. My guess is that Phil does not want to be the first source to go there prematurely.
    08-02-2013 11:07 AM
    <deleted message> please ignore
    08-02-2013 11:09 AM
    Sure. But it gives a good indication of a starting price point. Unless you want to suggest that LG is actually losing money on every N4 they sell....

Not being argumentative here. But trying to explain why people feel let down.

From my perspective, Google had an absolutely amazing opportunity here. With a $0 phone on contract, the sales pitch with always on voice commands and customizations would have been so compelling. They would have stolen marketshare. They would have eroded harward margins from Cupertino to Korea. With $300-$400 off-contract, they could have really made headway in emerging markets like India. Motorola and Google could have shown the world that cheap doesn't mean poor quality. Now? The iPhone 5C will launch with lots of colour options that achieves 80% of what the Moto X does on customizations, with iPhone 4S internals and likely a $400 price and eat Moto X's lunch.

To me, this has been Motorola's Z10 or Touchpad moment. They're done.
    Why would/should Google push Motorola to sell at a lower price and make the other Android phone makers upset? Why would Google want to force competitors to lower their prices? It doesn't make sense to harm that relationship.

You and other "geeks" sharing the belief that this is a mid-range phone rather than a flagship phone are basing that on the hardware specs. The iPhone has inferior hardware specs in many regards, is it a mid-range phone?

Google/Motorola want to end the crazy spec war and show that what makes a phone a flagship is the experience it provides. From everything I've seen and read, the Moto X is absolutely a flagship phone experience.
    08-02-2013 11:11 AM
    2 things: battery life and display quality (mainly about white reproduction). I had a galaxy nexus and those where the 2 things I hated about it. I'd like to know how the moto X handle those.

On a side note to all of us not in the USA, the moto X is showing up on brazilian e-tailers (though no price or availability yet). So I guess a worldwide rollout is coming pretty soon.
    08-02-2013 11:13 AM
    Did they give away any phones at the NYC launch party? Or, are the press the one people that got them?
    08-02-2013 11:13 AM
    This was asked earlier in the thread but I didn't see an answer (you were in a plane at the time) - have you had a chance to see what the display is like in direct sunlight?
    08-02-2013 11:16 AM
    Why would/should Google push Motorola to sell at a lower price and make the other Android phone makers upset? Why would Google want to force competitors to lower their prices? It doesn't make sense to harm that relationship.
    Not to mention that if Google did pressure Moto to sell at a lower price federal regulators would be all over them in seconds with sanctions and law suits. Quite simply, Google would be doing something seriously illegal.
    08-02-2013 11:19 AM
    Dunno yet. Will test later.
    very curious about this as well (USB OTG). i love being able to snap a photo with an SLR, plug into my phone and post it a second later.
    08-02-2013 11:21 AM
    Why would/should Google push Motorola to sell at a lower price and make the other Android phone makers upset?
    Because sometimes people around here want more and more without having to pay for it?

Oops. Too much truth?
    moosc and Lanzeelus like this.
    08-02-2013 11:22 AM
    Seems as though, once the sticker shock has worn off, people are starting to warm up to this device.
    08-02-2013 11:24 AM
    Is the Verizon version a world phone or no?
    08-02-2013 11:25 AM
    Hi Phil,

One thing I love about my Nexus 4 is how snappy it is going from app to app to home screen...etc. Is the Moto X as "snappy" or is there a noticeable difference from the N4?
    08-02-2013 11:26 AM
    Would you recommend the thing over my Optimus G Pro?

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-02-2013 11:27 AM
    Sorry if it's been asked, didn't notice it-

How does the X handle the lock screen with always-on Voice Actions? Can I bypass the lock screen pin by saying, "Google Now, (insert search here)" to be taken into google search?
    08-02-2013 11:31 AM
    I don't think this has been asked.

Let's say I have a PIN set as my security. How does that work with the voice stuff? How far can I go into, let's say, a Google search without needing to get past my lockscreen security?
    KWKSLVR likes this.
    08-02-2013 11:41 AM
    Ooooo. Good question.

Yep, it does. Standard Android 4.2+ lock screen. Active Display is separate.
    Am I right in assuming that the two are mutually exclusive? This has been the biggest concern for me, that if I want to enjoy a lot of these features, I have to live without a password/PIN, which is unacceptable considering how much access a mobile phone gives to your personal data. I had also read Wired's article about NFC tags, which got me excited about the possible solution.

Now, onto my other questions:

1. Does it include the default Android News & Weather app? I've grown to quite like it, and wish it was included with my Nexus 7.

2. Does it come with a wired headset, and if not, do you know how much these might cost? I saw that you can customize the color of a headset, but it seemed like it might just be an optional accessory.

3. Do you know if it only supports wired headsets with one button, or does it support those with multiple buttons (there are different standards, from what I understand)?

4. Which version of Gorilla Glass does it use? It was mentioned in a first look video and in leaks that it features Gorilla Glass, but I've also heard that the new Nexus 7 only uses the original Gorilla Glass, not the latest GG3.

5. Will it support MicroUSB to HDMI adapters (SlimPort, MHL... whatever it's called)?

6. Is this a PenTile AMOLED, and have you noticed any of the problems typically associated with that technology?
    I am interested in seeing more software features. How are the widgets? Standard android widgets or MOTO blurish?
    Also, folks need to stop trying to hijack the thread and send it off on tangents.
    Any word on bright sunlight readability?
    08-02-2013 11:47 AM
543 ... 910111213 ...