07-01-2015 01:37 PM
543 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    What I stumped by is not just the carrier exclusive. But the extremely limited launch. Here in Canada, it's Rogers exclusive. Europe won't even see the thing.

The thing was supposed to relaunch Motorola. How is that supposed to happen when they will essentially restrict themselves to North America. Phil did you hear anything at all about other markets? Have they said no to Asia as well?
    Apparently executives have indicated that the Moto X is more a brand than a single product, and that they are developing Moto X products for Europe, developing markets, and prepaid customers. I haven't heard anything on Asia. Also, to be fair I believe Motorola said the X was supposed to redefine them, not relaunch (seems like semantics, but "redefine" refers more to showing the direction that the company and its products are going, while "relaunch" is often associated with an immediate financial turn-around). The Moto X vary much is redefining a company known best for its DROID branding, but it will take a while to really turn them around financially.
    08-02-2013 06:32 PM
    I have noticed a lot of complaints on pricing of the phone and having been in the business of producing goods to sell, granted a different market. The general rule was the retail price should be 3 times the cost of manufacture. This takes into account many costs that the consumer does not see. Even then you might be on the low side depending on the products and other costs.
    08-02-2013 06:33 PM
    Is the wallpaper available yet?
    08-02-2013 07:20 PM
    Any rumors about a possible Maxx version ?
    08-02-2013 07:25 PM
    I have noticed a lot of complaints on pricing of the phone and having been in the business of producing goods to sell, granted a different market. The general rule was the retail price should be 3 times the cost of manufacture. This takes into account many costs that the consumer does not see. Even then you might be on the low side depending on the products and other costs.
    Not in the computer business.
    Margins are slim.
    Apple works on a 36% gross margin.
    08-02-2013 08:25 PM
    Just curious is that to consumers or their retail partners and distributors? That is awful close. I know to our distributors we had a 15% margin our retail partners were closer to 30 - 40%. We obviously preferred retail partners or the actual customer which gave us a much larger margin. Though in our industry we generally had to sell through the distributors or retailers.
    08-02-2013 08:51 PM
    Moto x or s4 off contract to keep unlimited data?
    08-02-2013 09:27 PM
    Not in the computer business.
    Margins are slim.
    Apple works on a 36% gross margin.
    So it costs $551 to make package and ship an iPhone 5?
    Mac58 likes this.
    08-02-2013 09:38 PM
    Android Central members: If you're not going to read the Android Central writeup of this device, you have no business asking silly questions that have already been plainly answered in the article they put time and effort into creating.

Phil, thanks for the information, well done.
    spun2u, KWKSLVR, mset and 2 others like this.
    08-02-2013 09:59 PM
    So it costs $551 to make package and ship an iPhone 5?
    $205 in parts, + wages/power to run the machines, rent, etc. all the sunk costs of production, shipping costs, regulatory fees, license fees, advertising, general operating costs, research and development (hardware and software), testers, sales commissions, taxes, regulatory withholdings, etc, etc. + expenses for warranty repairs/replacement, technicians, Apple store employees, promotions, tech support, customer service and all other operating expenses...
    jephanie likes this.
    08-02-2013 10:02 PM
    Andrew saved us! Here is a system dump with wallpapers

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...allpapers.html
    08-03-2013 01:05 AM
    If you type on the phone while it's flat on a table, like this, does it rock back and forth while typing?
    08-03-2013 03:48 AM
    The size. A 4.7-inch display in a smaller-than-usual body? Sold. It's nice to have a phone I can one-hand again.
    A little off-topic, but when the minis (one and S4) come to the US, will you give them a whirl, too?
    08-03-2013 06:08 AM
    I'm looking for phone that has Stereo Speakers.

Any luck with Moto X having Stereo?

- - - Updated - - -

A little off-topic, but when the minis (one and S4) come to the US, will you give them a whirl, too?
    I pretty much set to buy the HTC One Mini, so I'd love to hear about USA availability and feedback on this as well.
    08-03-2013 06:48 AM
    Phil.. Battery life please, please, please
    msndrstood likes this.
    08-03-2013 09:31 AM
    How is the signal strength, is it still rock solid Motorola antennas

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app
    msndrstood and dunnsantee like this.
    08-03-2013 09:57 AM
    Phil.. Battery life please, please, please
    You know he's been looking, but it's still too few days to provide a meaningful sample.
    If a full week passes, I take that to mean that the answer is obvious due to it's absence, however.
    08-03-2013 10:55 AM
    1) Is it awkward to have volume rocker and power button on same side?
    2) How does this affect taking screenshots?
    08-03-2013 12:17 PM
    They'll be selling it on everything we wrote about yesterday. Battery life. Customization. Battery life. Size. Touchless controls. Active Display ...
    How can they sell it on customization when only one Carrier can do it??? Google doesn't know how to sell phones. Pretty disgusted over this as well. They should take a lesson from Samsung and Apple on how to send a phone to market, all Carriers all at once with all versions. The amount of money AT&T gave Motorola/Google is not nearly enough compared to the amount of sales they will loose over the few months or whatever time length they gave AT&T their exclusive for. By that time people will loose interest, other phones will be released including the new iPhone and that will be the end of this experiment called customization only because they screwed up big time. It could have been great but it just sucks.
    anon(6174973) and tdizzel like this.
    08-03-2013 12:57 PM
    How can they sell it on customization when only one Carrier can do it??? Google doesn't know how to sell phones. Pretty disgusted over this as well. They should take a lesson from Samsung and Apple on how to send a phone to market, all Carriers all at once with all versions. The amount of money AT&T gave Motorola/Google is not nearly enough compared to the amount of sales they will loose over the few months or whatever time length they gave AT&T their exclusive for. By that time people will loose interest, other phones will be released including the new iPhone and that will be the end of this experiment called customization only because they screwed up big time. It could have been great but it just sucks.
    Totally agree. If you want more sales, you should not consider exclusivity when there are already so much heat.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-03-2013 01:02 PM
    I think it's fair to say that Google have done more market research than you and have more resources at their disposable for coming to a sound financial decision than you do regarding this particular issue. You make it sound like Google execs sat around a table brainstorming how to bring this product to market when someone said, "Let's find a way to make less money!" and they all cheered.

I assure you that is not the case.
    08-03-2013 01:06 PM
    Not so much priced like a Nexus, as priced fairly. The specs are clearly mid-range. Analysts have estimated BOM costs at around $225. So let's even add another $25 for American labour (though I doubt it would be that much). That's $250. Let's add a further 20% margin, just because the analysts could be horribly wrong estimating the price of components that are for the most part a year old. That's $300. Applying some other costs and assuming at least a 20% margin would yield a retail price of around $399. Max.

It's not the price that people are disappointed on. It's the value proposition. It should have been $0 on contract with customization. Or $300-$400 off-contract.

Quite frankly, I think it's insulting to the general public that Motorola thinks they are such dunces that they will pay exorbitant prices for "Made in America" and colours. I will lose my faith in my southern neighbours if this phone succeeds in the USA.
    BOM: $225.
    Research and Development: few million a year for many years.
    Buying large stock of parts: Buying millions of phones at once using a special loan from a bank (no one uses their own money). That's about $225 x for say a predicted run of 5,000,000 in the coming months to a year. That is $1,125,000,000 with a interest rate of let's sa 1.1%-6% (I can't give specifics but last I checked for laptops, it's in this range though it varies greatly as you can see).

Marketing: Few million every few months.

Tooling costs:
    $40,000 for EACH plastic piece to create the tooling.
    $50,000-$100,000 for any casting for metal allows. This is tooling only.
    $25,000- Skies the limit for CNCing (I don't think there is any on the Moto X).
    Keep in mind any change to tooling means you start over in costs, and trust me there was easily millions in tooling for this phone.

Labor costs:
    USA: $15~.
    They said 2,000 employees at their foth worth factory. That's 2,000 employee's likely at 15/hr or more. Plus taxes, plus healthcare, plus factory insurances (liability for accidents), administrative bills, accounting and more for all of those 2,000 employees.
    Since the factory is in the USA: Parts will more than likely charged import duties, transportation costs, and other hassles..

Factory cost: Few tens or hundreds of millions to build. And millions more to maintain.

$600 for a USA Assembled phone in my opinion is an excellent bargain. Would I buy a Moto X? No, but I can't with good conscious call it overpriced.
    Farish and Aquila like this.
    08-03-2013 01:42 PM
    Who says Verizon wanted the 32gb option or the customization right now? They are also launching 3 similar "droid" branded phones at the same time that aren't customizable at all. I'm sure they didn't want a phone so similar to cannibalize there DROID line-up right away and they've shown that they really don't like to offer higher GB options.
    08-03-2013 02:48 PM
    The S4 came out a month later on Verizon and that was only after Verizon decided to push the release date up. Furthermore, the 32gb S4 on Verizon came out 2 months after that initial release.

Maybe this is a Verizon decision. They want to protect their Droid brand and the Moto X customization may cannibalize those sales.
    08-03-2013 02:53 PM
    I think Phil ditched us. So I think there is no use in asking questions when there is no one there to answer them.

A wise man once said. This is one small step for ios and one giant leap for android.
    mset likes this.
    08-03-2013 04:28 PM
543 ... 1314151617 ...