07-01-2015 01:37 PM
543 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Phil - Does the Moto X support USB mass storage?

Not a deal breaker, but definitely nice to have.

Thanks.
    ajarnfalang likes this.
    08-09-2013 01:18 PM
    Will the mobile hotspot require a subscription on Verizon, or will it just work for free like on stock android?
    08-13-2013 12:19 AM
    Will the mobile hotspot require a subscription on Verizon, or will it just work for free like on stock android?
    on stock android it is an option, but if your carrier realizes you are tethering they will throttle your speeds and worst case scenario could cancel your service. They usually send you a nasty letter in the mail first. This is assuming you are not on their shared data plans.
    08-13-2013 06:24 AM
    I'd like to know this for AT&T. Phil, is yours locked down on your demo unit? That would be a deal-breaker for me.

Edit: Never mind. Since I'm not a current AT&T customer, I wasn't aware that hotspot is unlocked on data share plans.
    08-13-2013 06:44 AM
    I would love to see somebody that has access to all of these chime in on this question, but here is how I am scoring from what I can read.

There are no features other than customization/form factor that are exclusive to the Moto X, down to and including the dual LTE antennas. So the Droid Ultra and MAXX will look different, but will have all of the cool features included in the Moto X.

The MAXX has a slightly bigger screen, much bigger battery, wireless charging and 32GB (vs. 16 GB on the Ultra and X). These will cost you $100, and are well worth it for me. As much as I like the idea of customizing a phone, I like the Maxx extras too much. Since cost is the the object for you, I think this is the decision you will need to make.

The Ultra has the bigger screen, but all else is essentially equal. At this point, for me the form factor and customization (when it comes) gives the nod to the Moto X over the Ultra. The X just seems like it will be nicer to hold, and eventually you will be able to customize on Verizon as well. The question is, are you willing to wait? If I change my mind and go this route, I will wait for the X.

I am not interested in the Mini, but it is smaller and will be missing the active display. Giving those up will save you $100.

TL;DR Maxx > Moto X >Ultra > Mini
    Thanks for this, when I first heard about the Maxx, it became my Next Phone. Then the Moto X was announced and the hands free voice activation and the gesture control for the camera were great futures that so this then became my Next Phone. Then I read that the Maxx had these same features as well as the same X8 processor so it went back to being my Next Phone. Then I learnt that the Maxx had wireless charging which was really the icing on the cake for it.

Does anyone know if this will be Qi wireless charging? I've already invested in a charging pad for the Nexus 4 so didn't want to invest in yet another one just because the standards had changed.

The downside to all of this is that I'm in the UK and there's a good chance the Moto X and Maxx may not make it to the UK in the same guise or may not make it at all.

*Next Phone = the phone I would like to upgrade to as soon as the phone becomes available to me.
    08-13-2013 08:34 AM
    Does anyone know if this will be Qi wireless charging? I've already invested in a charging pad for the Nexus 4 so didn't want to invest in yet another one just because the standards had changed.
    Yes, it does use the Qi standard.
    08-13-2013 10:11 AM
    Yes, it does use the Qi standard.
    can you find a link to this? Phil said it does not have wireless charging earlier in the thread.
    08-13-2013 12:17 PM
    can you find a link to this? Phil said it does not have wireless charging earlier in the thread.
    They're talking about the Droid Maxx, not the Moto X.
    08-13-2013 12:20 PM
    They're talking about the Droid Maxx, not the Moto X.
    ahh, thanks.
    08-13-2013 12:21 PM
    Is the display as good as the nexus4 or HTC one in direct sunlight. I can't believe motor choose to go with amoled. Bad move.
    08-13-2013 11:33 PM
    Is the display as good as the nexus4 or HTC one in direct sunlight. I can't believe motor choose to go with amoled. Bad move.
    It most likely won't be.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-14-2013 05:37 AM
    The only question that really matters is:

How's the battery life?

Like real heavy use 3G browsing. Not standby in your pocket, but how long can you use it before it dies?
    08-14-2013 05:41 AM
    me thinkgs Phil stopped answering this thread
    08-14-2013 08:19 AM
    AMOLED enables one of the key differentiating features of the Moto X: Active Notifications without killing the battery. That sounds like a great move to me.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-14-2013 08:33 AM
    The only question that really matters is:

How's the battery life?

Like real heavy use 3G browsing. Not standby in your pocket, but how long can you use it before it dies?
    About half of reviews say they are seriously impressed, the other half said either avg. or above avg.
    Ry likes this.
    08-14-2013 09:01 AM
    Phil - what's the output on the included dual-port USB charger?
    08-14-2013 12:24 PM
    I heard it has microsim. How would I put my GNex Sim card in that? I don't want an upgrade from Verizon because I'd lose my promo data plan. Or does Verizon just move everything to a new Sim if I ask them to?

08-15-2013 01:33 PM
    I heard it has microsim. How would I put my GNex Sim card in that? I don't want an upgrade from Verizon because I'd lose my promo data plan. Or does Verizon just move everything to a new Sim if I ask them to?

You can try cutting your SIM down too.
    08-15-2013 01:48 PM
    I think if you were to purchase the Moto X for the full off-contract price, Verizon cannot force you to change your data plan. They should be able to transfer your number to the new sim card.

Someone may correct me if my understanding is wrong.
    08-15-2013 02:17 PM
    Phil, why hath thee forsaken us?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4
    jephanie and Paisley like this.
    08-15-2013 04:06 PM
    Phil!

I'm curious whether it's possible to use other voice commands to start Google Now. I understand that, as of now, you can wake the phone by saying "Ok Google Now". Unfortunately I find that phrase totally lame and would love if I could customize that. I know that during setup they have you repeat "OK Google Now" three times so they can personalize it to your voice. My question then is, can you say some other phrase when you're supposed to repeat "OK Google Now" in order to customize that command?

I would ****ing love it if my phone only woke when I said "Computer" in my best Patrick Stewart impression.
    08-17-2013 09:16 PM
    They will give you a new SIM.

gamefreak715 likes this.
    08-17-2013 09:24 PM
    It's already been stated it only understand one name and that is OK Google now
    Phil!

I'm curious whether it's possible to use other voice commands to start Google Now. I understand that, as of now, you can wake the phone by saying "Ok Google Now". Unfortunately I find that phrase totally lame and would love if I could customize that. I know that during setup they have you repeat "OK Google Now" three times so they can personalize it to your voice. My question then is, can you say some other phrase when you're supposed to repeat "OK Google Now" in order to customize that command?

I would ****ing love it if my phone only woke when I said "Computer" in my best Patrick Stewart impression.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    08-17-2013 09:57 PM
    It's already been stated it only understand one name and that is OK Google now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Of course you can use Tasker, AutoVoice, AutoShare and Secure Settings to enter the same functionality with other commands once you have the device in hand.
    08-18-2013 12:08 AM
    Did I miss the AC Moto X Review...Phil?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-18-2013 03:26 PM
543 ... 1718192021 ...