07-01-2015 01:37 PM
543 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    They lost me at the price. After purchasing the highest spec devices for several years, i'm willing to take a step back if the price is right. Unfortunately Moto produced probably the best mid range handset ever made but is pricing it in the premium market! I love that they produced what looks to be the best mid range device ever, but who decided on that market price? Surely not Google. When the Nexus 4 came out, I was a bit disappointed that Google went ONLY for the mid range handset market and not for the spec fanatics, but at least they priced it at what (or even below) a mid range phone should be.
    Roundpotato and somdave2005 like this.
    08-02-2013 09:36 AM
    For me, this has been Motorola's Z10 or Touchpad moment. They're done.
    Not anything like BB at all.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-02-2013 09:37 AM
    Is this similar to the Droid phones which launch on Verizon's network?
    Very much so.

08-02-2013 09:37 AM
    What is that little hole that can be clearly seen in the white version on the bottom of the phone, just to the left of the home button?
    One of the three microphones. Yeah, it's conspicuous.

08-02-2013 09:39 AM
    Phil - I know you mentioned that the speaker(s) were pretty loud, but have you had a chance to make some calls and test out the speakerphone? I know Motorola generally has great speakerphone quality, how about the Moto X? Being loud is great, but is it clear?

Keep this question in mind for the Droid Mini/Ultra/Maxx as well because I'm leaning towards the Maxx a little more every day.

Just can't drop that kind of cash up front.
    Why buy immediately? If it ends up being what you want, shove back $50 every paycheck and sacrifice something else. You'll have the extra cash in no time! Especially if you sell your existing handset to close the gap.
    moosc likes this.
    08-02-2013 09:40 AM
    Phil - I know you mentioned that the speaker(s) were pretty loud, but have you had a chance to test out the speakerphone. I know Motorola generally has great speakerphone quality, how about the Moto X? Being loud is great, but is it clear?

Keep this question in mind for the Droid Mini/Ultra/Maxx as well because I'm leaning towards the Maxx a little more every day.
    Loud and clear.

08-02-2013 09:41 AM
    Sweet! Thanks Uncle Phil
    08-02-2013 09:41 AM
    As a VZW customer, I'm concerned with what, if any, compelling reasons there would be for me to purchase a Moto X now, over a Droid Maxx beyond what seems to be a better form factor? I was hoping that there would be a comparison posted eventually from the perspective of someone whom has spent a bit of time with both devices.
    This is exactly my question. I was excited about the Moto X, but it looks like the Maxx has all the same features with better battery, more memory and it will be on Vzw. Customization is neat, but I will take the better battery life . . .
    08-02-2013 09:48 AM
    can you change "ok google now" to something more personal?

edit: nevermind, been answered. to bad it cant. "ok google now" doesnt roll off the tongue as easy as "hey google" would. thanks for the q & a.
    08-02-2013 09:50 AM
    Was that a yes or a no? On wireless charging.
    Mac58 likes this.
    08-02-2013 09:51 AM
    Will there be a 32gb version on Verizon?

08-02-2013 09:52 AM
    Hunh what?

I thought I read it here on AC. You will be able to by NFC tags for location aware tasks, nothing really new as you can do this with any NFC enable phone but it stated the tags would work within a "few feet"...
    08-02-2013 09:56 AM
    What other NFC equipped devices do you have with you to test its range on the Moto X? I'm curious because when my girlfriend and I had a RAZR M and MAXX HD, respectively, we I used to be able to trigger NFC with the devices being between one and two inches away. I'm serious if the NFC radio in the Moto X is just as strong?
    08-02-2013 09:56 AM
    any info on price on tmobile simple choice
    08-02-2013 09:59 AM
    Was that a yes or a no? On wireless charging.
    nope.
    08-02-2013 10:00 AM
    Would this be considered a big leap over the Galaxy Nexus? I am coming up for mine and am starting to look. Samsung keeps bugging me by continuing to rip off the apple button on the phones. I love the on screen home/menu buttons.
    08-02-2013 10:02 AM
    Does the moto x have the same type of photo sharing feature as the new droids (droid zap) or is it standard android beam?
    08-02-2013 10:03 AM
    on some sites they were showing the ability for voice commands to turn on things like mobile hotspot.is that functionality a Verizon exclusive or is it present on the Moto X? And if so, does it also have the ability to do things like turn on Bluetooth which Google now cannot do yet.
    08-02-2013 10:03 AM
    I would think he would need 2 Moto X's to successfully test "extended range" as both device would likely need the increased range. It's also possible the increased range requires a special tag but NFC tags are passive so it can't be "just" the tags...
    08-02-2013 10:04 AM
    Phil,

1). Has it lagged or crashed yet?
    2). Have you watched any videos on it yet? If so, how do they look? Specifically, how are the black levels?
    3). Can you at least screen shot your battery usage?
    4). Is it comfortable to hold to your ear for extended periods?

Thanks
    Oh, thought of another one I haven't seen even asked anywhere else. What's the charging rate of the MotoX? Can we get a full 2 amps, Moto!?
    AT&T has the exclusive on that afaik. Could that change? Sure. But that's all I know for now.

I'd say that once AT&T's exclusive on the customization has ended, Verizon users will be able to order a "custom" 32GB model. At least that's the impression I got.

08-02-2013 10:07 AM
    Sure. But it gives a good indication of a starting price point. Unless you want to suggest that LG is actually losing money on every N4 they sell....

Not being argumentative here. But trying to explain why people feel let down.

From my perspective, Google had an absolutely amazing opportunity here. With a $0 phone on contract, the sales pitch with always on voice commands and customizations would have been so compelling. They would have stolen marketshare. They would have eroded harward margins from Cupertino to Korea. With $300-$400 off-contract, they could have really made headway in emerging markets like India. Motorola and Google could have shown the world that cheap doesn't mean poor quality. Now? The iPhone 5C will launch with lots of colour options that achieves 80% of what the Moto X does on customizations, with iPhone 4S internals and likely a $400 price and eat Moto X's lunch.

To me, this has been Motorola's Z10 or Touchpad moment. They're done.
    Remember, Google said that Moto would be treated like any other manufacturer. Also remember that that was contingent on the deal going through at all. If they gave Moto special treatment it would be anti-competitive.

I'm sure LG isn't losing money, but the commonly accepted fact (at least as far as we know), is that Google sells them for cost on the Play Store. How much are they again? Right. That would be the BOM plus any and all R&D costs. What was LG selling them for unlocked, but not through the Play Store? Right (hint: far more than they are going for on the Play Store). Again, Nexus pricing is the aberration here, not the other way around. Unless it says "Nexus" on the back I wouldn't expect any phone to come close to touching that off-contract price and have anywhere near similar specs.
    moosc, phurballdj, aspeo and 2 others like this.
    08-02-2013 10:08 AM
    Very much so.

And so a question on that: Do the Verizon droids have the same "touchless" voice control and motion activated camera the X does? They've got the same custom SOC and camera that it has.

08-02-2013 10:10 AM
    Hey Phil,

Any mention by Google about the additional costs if any for having the phone manufactured in the United States?
    08-02-2013 10:11 AM
543 ... 7891011 ...