I've got the Moto X, you've got questions ? fire away!

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm asking this question to reinforce my argument.

Do you think that the Google Play Store will sell the Moto X and take on the subsidy in order to have it available for $299, off contract?

Posted via Android Central App

Adam74

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
How is the LTE speed and reception ? They're emphasising also the dual LTE MIMO antennas and with Motorola's history it should have superb reception in comparison to other phones....
Do you also know if band 4 is supported on AT&T version ?
Thanks Phil

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Phil, I'd love to hear your thoughts on battery life when you've had a chance to run through a couple of charges. Screen on time, etc...
Thx.

jshaas2

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Phil. Call me crazy, but that's probably a deal breaker to me. Moto seems to be famous with pushing hype for no reason (See Moto Xoom). I'm a heavy user and I believe like many others, just can't see myself having enough reasons to break contract - especially with smaller battery, no sd, etc. etc. Thanks again for the response.

Motorola is taking into consideration that you'll be using this phone differently. You won't be turning the display on as often, using the Active Display feature instead.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Folks need to stop expecting every phone to be priced like a Nexus. It's an aberration.

Not so much priced like a Nexus, as priced fairly. The specs are clearly mid-range. Analysts have estimated BOM costs at around $225. So let's even add another $25 for American labour (though I doubt it would be that much). That's $250. Let's add a further 20% margin, just because the analysts could be horribly wrong estimating the price of components that are for the most part a year old. That's $300. Applying some other costs and assuming at least a 20% margin would yield a retail price of around $399. Max.

It's not the price that people are disappointed on. It's the value proposition. It should have been $0 on contract with customization. Or $300-$400 off-contract.

Quite frankly, I think it's insulting to the general public that Motorola thinks they are such dunces that they will pay exorbitant prices for "Made in America" and colours. I will lose my faith in my southern neighbours if this phone succeeds in the USA.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Not so much priced like a Nexus, as priced fairly. The specs are clearly mid-range. Analysts have estimated BOM costs at around $225. So let's even add another $25 for American labour (though I doubt it would be that much). That's $250. Let's add a further 20% margin, just because the analysts could be horribly long estimating the price of components that are for the most part a year old. That's $300. Applying some other costs and assuming at least a 20% margin would yield a retail price of around $399. Max.

It's not the price that people are disappointed on. It's the value proposition. It should have been $0 on contract with customization. Or $300-$400 off-contract.

Quite frankly, I think it's insulting to the general public that Motorola thinks they are such dunces that they will pay exorbitant prices for "Made in America" and colours. I will lose my faith in my southern neighbours if this phone succeeds in the USA.

BOM is hardly what makes the full price of a phone. Or any product, for that matter.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Do you think Active Display consumes more battery than a Notification LED? Or would it be about the same or less?

I use LightFlow, so I know what colour a text is vs an email. Would LightFlow consume more battery than a regular LED or Active Display?

Dunno, but it's way more useful.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm asking this question to reinforce my argument.

Do you think that the Google Play Store will sell the Moto X and take on the subsidy in order to have it available for $299, off contract?

Doubt it. But, again, we have no idea what the plan is there.

Valaire

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
As a VZW customer, I'm concerned with what, if any, compelling reasons there would be for me to purchase a Moto X now, over a Droid Maxx beyond what seems to be a better form factor? I was hoping that there would be a comparison posted eventually from the perspective of someone whom has spent a bit of time with both devices.

limeaid

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Phil, you mentioned on the podcast last night that you were planning on going out in NY and taking some low light photos. Did you get a chance to do it and if so, how did they turn out? Would love to know how the low light photos compare to the m7 and gs4

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
What is that little hole that can be clearly seen in the white version on the bottom of the phone, just to the left of the home button?

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
BOM is hardly what makes the full price of a phone. Or any product, for that matter.

Sure. But it gives a good indication of a starting price point. Unless you want to suggest that LG is actually losing money on every N4 they sell....

Not being argumentative here. But trying to explain why people feel let down.

From my perspective, Google had an absolutely amazing opportunity here. With a $0 phone on contract, the sales pitch with always on voice commands and customizations would have been so compelling. They would have stolen marketshare. They would have eroded harward margins from Cupertino to Korea. With $300-$400 off-contract, they could have really made headway in emerging markets like India. Motorola and Google could have shown the world that cheap doesn't mean poor quality. Now? The iPhone 5C will launch with lots of colour options that achieves 80% of what the Moto X does on customizations, with iPhone 4S internals and likely a $400 price and eat Moto X's lunch.

To me, this has been Motorola's Z10 or Touchpad moment. They're done.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
When you are connected to WIFI, do the cellular signal strength bars turn GREY, and is there a gap/space between the WIFI icon and the cellular signal icon?

Why does Motorola do that? They started doing it with the razr. The different color of the wifi icon vs the cellular signal icon is ugly, and the gap between the two icons is just a waste of space. I've never seen any other phone do that besides a motorola.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I remember a couple weeks back when the Rogers video leaked, someone from Moto said that they're only scratching the surface of what the phone could do in that video and it is capable of doing so much more. From what I've seen, Rogers pretty much nailed it in that video.

Are there other features that haven't been exploited in videos?? I was hoping for a game changer but so far, aside from the few things highlighted, it's just seemingly your average, run of the mill device. There's nothing that says "BUY ME" about this phone.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Stop with the clearly spec mid range phone. This phone is top tier crazy azz processor, nice camera good memory solid build. And stop with whining about price. My 2010 chevy avalanche cost 55000$ dollars but we now dam well it didn't cost chevy that much to build it. And my 2005 chevy avalanche was 45000$ so why a 10000$ mark up in 5years.
Not so much priced like a Nexus, as priced fairly. The specs are clearly mid-range. Analysts have estimated BOM costs at around $225. So let's even add another $25 for American labour (though I doubt it would be that much). That's $250. Let's add a further 20% margin, just because the analysts could be horribly wrong estimating the price of components that are for the most part a year old. That's $300. Applying some other costs and assuming at least a 20% margin would yield a retail price of around $399. Max.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I remember a couple weeks back when the Rogers video leaked, someone from Moto said that they're only scratching the surface of what the phone could do in that video and it is capable of doing so much more. From what I've seen, Rogers pretty much nailed it in that video.

Are there other features that haven't been exploited in videos?? I was hoping for a game changer but so far, aside from the few things highlighted, it's just seemingly your average, run of the mill device. There's nothing that says "BUY ME" about this phone.

Pretty sure we've seen it all.