I've got the Moto X, you've got questions ? fire away!

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh, thought of another one I haven't seen even asked anywhere else. What's the charging rate of the MotoX? Can we get a full 2 amps, Moto!?

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
AT&T has the exclusive on that afaik. Could that change? Sure. But that's all I know for now.

Posted via Android Central App

I'd say that once AT&T's exclusive on the customization has ended, Verizon users will be able to order a "custom" 32GB model. At least that's the impression I got.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sure. But it gives a good indication of a starting price point. Unless you want to suggest that LG is actually losing money on every N4 they sell....

Not being argumentative here. But trying to explain why people feel let down.

From my perspective, Google had an absolutely amazing opportunity here. With a $0 phone on contract, the sales pitch with always on voice commands and customizations would have been so compelling. They would have stolen marketshare. They would have eroded harward margins from Cupertino to Korea. With $300-$400 off-contract, they could have really made headway in emerging markets like India. Motorola and Google could have shown the world that cheap doesn't mean poor quality. Now? The iPhone 5C will launch with lots of colour options that achieves 80% of what the Moto X does on customizations, with iPhone 4S internals and likely a $400 price and eat Moto X's lunch.

To me, this has been Motorola's Z10 or Touchpad moment. They're done.

Remember, Google said that Moto would be treated like any other manufacturer. Also remember that that was contingent on the deal going through at all. If they gave Moto special treatment it would be anti-competitive.

I'm sure LG isn't losing money, but the commonly accepted fact (at least as far as we know), is that Google sells them for cost on the Play Store. How much are they again? Right. That would be the BOM plus any and all R&D costs. What was LG selling them for unlocked, but not through the Play Store? Right (hint: far more than they are going for on the Play Store). Again, Nexus pricing is the aberration here, not the other way around. Unless it says "Nexus" on the back I wouldn't expect any phone to come close to touching that off-contract price and have anywhere near similar specs.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey Phil,

Any mention by Google about the additional costs if any for having the phone manufactured in the United States?

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Phil, from what I've seen this looks like a great phone ... today. But all of the "midrange" talk has me wondering whether it would be a mistake to commit to this phone for two years. If you were stuck with subsidized phones, would you feel comfortable signing a contract on a Moto X today?

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
1. Eh, it's OK. You get used to it.
2. You get almost 12GB.
3. No OIS afaik.

If the "clear" pixel on the camera lets in as much more light than regular sensors as they claim, I'd I imagine you could get away with faster shutter speeds in low light. That would reduce the need for OIS.

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
You think so? I guess we got spoiled with the nexus 4 pricing. Maybe the nexus 5 well be priced the same. To me this phone is a great phone to buy used off swappa. Not to use your upgrade on.

Sent from the Great Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

The nexus 4's play store price was subsidized by Google. If you bought it from LG or t-mobile, you'd pay more.

bkosh84

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't you if you will know this or not... But will the phone be able to be customized and added to an account via AT&T Next (Yes I understand AT&T Next is awful. blah, blah, blah...)?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Phil, from what I've seen this looks like a great phone ... today. But all of the "midrange" talk has me wondering whether it would be a mistake to commit to this phone for two years. If you were stuck with subsidized phones, would you feel comfortable signing a contract on a Moto X today?

What is a "midrange" phone? Is there a sign on it somewhere? Is it stuck in the "midrange" section of the store?

Folks ? including us ? really need to get away from that. I know it's easier to classify things, but it's getting to the point where it's anything that's not "high-end" is bad ? and it's a lazy way of doing things.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey Phil,

Any mention by Google about the additional costs if any for having the phone manufactured in the United States?

It'd be from Motorola, not Google. And it's not manufactured here ? it's being assembled in Fort Worth. There's a difference there.

No, nobody specifically said anything about that to me ? but chances are it's true.

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
What is a "midrange" phone? Is there a sign on it somewhere? Is it stuck in the "midrange" section of the store?

I'm not calling the phone midrange; I don't like the term either. I was just referring to all of the spec-geek talk, which unnerves me a bit (even though I know it shouldn't). That's why I'm asking your opinion. Would you be comfortable signing a two-year contract on the Moto X?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I thought I read it here on AC. You will be able to by NFC tags for location aware tasks, nothing really new as you can do this with any NFC enable phone but it stated the tags would work within a "few feet"...

Sure hope we didn't ? and without a link, I can't tell ya. But that's not how NFC works, nor is it anything I ever heard of in regards to the Moto X.

bjballar41

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a samsung note 2. If I got this phone would it be an upgrade or pretty much same? or should I wait and see what the note 3 has to offer. my big concern is this not having a removable battery.