I've got the Moto X, you've got questions ? fire away!

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Performance preview: The Moto X sports a great GPU, respectable CPU | Ars Technica

Good write up including some benchmarks. First thing to note is that the S4 Pro in the X is not the same as the S4 Pro in Nexus 4. This one sports newer GPU (same as HTC One and GS4) and newer CPU Architecture. While it still isn't as fast as the Snapdragon 600 Quad core, it seems to hold its own.

I think we all need to ask ourselves if we can give up a few cores and some Pixels for better battery life if there is no real difference in User Experience. That seem to be what Motorola is going for.

Aerimus

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Folks need to stop expecting every phone to be priced like a Nexus. It's an aberration.

Posted via Android Central App

I don't understand this...if it's cheaper to make, it should cost less. Also, I think you get spoiled =) having access to all these phones, but for the rest of us, it is way nicer/cheaper being off contract. I will never go back on contract and having a phone like the nexus 4 has been amazing for 350. I desperately hope it's not an abberation.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
As in SIM-free? Around $600 US, at least.

DOA..... Too expensive off contract and even on contract.
I've had multiple generations of Motorola phones.
Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid HD.
Since I want to keep my unlimited, I now buy off contract. $600 is too expensive for a phone with too many shortcomings.
Don't get me wrong, I'd pay $350 like the current Nexus, but $600 is HTC One money.
They want tier 1 money for a tier 2 phone.
People will walk into the store and ask what they van get for $99 OR less.
Immediately this phone is off the table. So even on contract it's expensive.

I hope they know what they are doing, but they just lost a dedicated customer.....

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Remember, Google said that Moto would be treated like any other manufacturer. Also remember that that was contingent on the deal going through at all. If they gave Moto special treatment it would be anti-competitive.

I'm sure LG isn't losing money, but the commonly accepted fact (at least as far as we know), is that Google sells them for cost on the Play Store. How much are they again? Right. That would be the BOM plus any and all R&D costs. What was LG selling them for unlocked, but not through the Play Store? Right (hint: far more than they are going for on the Play Store). Again, Nexus pricing is the aberration here, not the other way around. Unless it says "Nexus" on the back I wouldn't expect any phone to come close to touching that off-contract price and have anywhere near similar specs.

Once again. I'm not saying that Motorola should have sold this device at cost. I'm saying they could have traded the ridiculously high margins for market share. Especially given that their components costs are reasonably low and their software development costs are tiny. Even if the build cost was $300, they could have sold this for $400 off-contract and taken in 25% margins.

In any event, we'll get to see very soon if the public really is as dumb as they think they are and that they can capture marketshare just by offering customization.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The nexus 4's play store price was subsidized by Google. If you bought it from LG or t-mobile, you'd pay more.

People keep saying this. Where's the evidence? The carriers inflated prices? And you don't think they do that to make their contracts attractive?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping Phil gets back in here to answer some questions, since we (yes, WE) keep taking this off-topic. :)

Many (ok, probably all) of these other discussions that aren't pertaining to the question and answer are taking place in other threads.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention that if Google did pressure Moto to sell at a lower price federal regulators would be all over them in seconds with sanctions and law suits. Quite simply, Google would be doing something seriously illegal.

Dumping is illegal. Accepting lower margins is not.

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand this...if it's cheaper to make, it should cost less.

"Should" according to whom? That's not how a free market works. Motorola can charge whatever they want for the phone, and if customers are willing to pay it, that's the end of the story.

This phone's price is in line with every other smartphone on the market, and most customers pay the subsidized price anyway. Price is not a significant differentiator in the U.S. smartphone market. A lot of us, including me, hoped that the Nexus 4 would start to change that, but it didn't.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
If Im holding the phone and First go like this, spin around. Stop! Double-take three times... one, two, three. Then... pelvic thrust! Woo! Woo! Stop on your right foot?Don't forget it! Now it's time to bring it around town. Bring it around town! Then you do this, and that, this and that, and this and that, and then..!?

What would happen?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Phil, does the camera app have anything remotely similar to Zoe's and Highlights? If not, doesn't matter how good the camera is IMO.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I think it is more to do with vzw having the droid ultra is reason why att got the custom features. But u ask why not sprint or T-Mobile they don't have user base att has and I bet att through some cash in to get it.
Warning my opinion:

I think the AT&T exclusive is based on the volume output of the factory. Moto might only be capable of a certain amount of devices per day, so they limited the amount of orders.

As far as the Moto X devices, regardless of how well it sells. It is an important device, due to the new features: software optimized processor being one of the most important. Other manufacturers are watching and taking note. These other OEMs can now base off of the Moto X, and add to it.

I see this device as the beginning, and I support that.

By the way Phil do yoi find yourself putting your finger in the little dimple with the Moto logo? Lol. Better support?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
If Im holding the phone and First go like this, spin around. Stop! Double-take three times... one, two, three. Then... pelvic thrust! Woo! Woo! Stop on your right foot?Don't forget it! Now it's time to bring it around town. Bring it around town! Then you do this, and that, this and that, and this and that, and then..!?

What would happen?

You'd look as silly as this post read. :p

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping Phil gets back in here to answer some questions, since we (yes, WE) keep taking this off-topic. :)

Many (ok, probably all) of these other discussions that aren't pertaining to the question and answer are taking place in other threads.

Let's see ... So far today I've traveled from New York to Pensacola, watch my daughter's little music recital and done a dozen pages in this thread.

But you guys feel free to derail it. Go right ahead. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox