I've got the Moto X, you've got questions ? fire away!

vjynn

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for phone that has Stereo Speakers.

Any luck with Moto X having Stereo?

- - - Updated - - -

A little off-topic, but when the minis (one and S4) come to the US, will you give them a whirl, too?

I pretty much set to buy the HTC One Mini, so I'd love to hear about USA availability and feedback on this as well.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
1) Is it awkward to have volume rocker and power button on same side?
2) How does this affect taking screenshots?

fightcrazy

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
They'll be selling it on everything we wrote about yesterday. Battery life. Customization. Battery life. Size. Touchless controls. Active Display ...

How can they sell it on customization when only one Carrier can do it??? Google doesn't know how to sell phones. Pretty disgusted over this as well. They should take a lesson from Samsung and Apple on how to send a phone to market, all Carriers all at once with all versions. The amount of money AT&T gave Motorola/Google is not nearly enough compared to the amount of sales they will loose over the few months or whatever time length they gave AT&T their exclusive for. By that time people will loose interest, other phones will be released including the new iPhone and that will be the end of this experiment called customization only because they screwed up big time. It could have been great but it just sucks.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
How can they sell it on customization when only one Carrier can do it??? Google doesn't know how to sell phones. Pretty disgusted over this as well. They should take a lesson from Samsung and Apple on how to send a phone to market, all Carriers all at once with all versions. The amount of money AT&T gave Motorola/Google is not nearly enough compared to the amount of sales they will loose over the few months or whatever time length they gave AT&T their exclusive for. By that time people will loose interest, other phones will be released including the new iPhone and that will be the end of this experiment called customization only because they screwed up big time. It could have been great but it just sucks.

Totally agree. If you want more sales, you should not consider exclusivity when there are already so much heat.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I think it's fair to say that Google have done more market research than you and have more resources at their disposable for coming to a sound financial decision than you do regarding this particular issue. You make it sound like Google execs sat around a table brainstorming how to bring this product to market when someone said, "Let's find a way to make less money!" and they all cheered.

I assure you that is not the case.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Not so much priced like a Nexus, as priced fairly. The specs are clearly mid-range. Analysts have estimated BOM costs at around $225. So let's even add another $25 for American labour (though I doubt it would be that much). That's $250. Let's add a further 20% margin, just because the analysts could be horribly wrong estimating the price of components that are for the most part a year old. That's $300. Applying some other costs and assuming at least a 20% margin would yield a retail price of around $399. Max.

It's not the price that people are disappointed on. It's the value proposition. It should have been $0 on contract with customization. Or $300-$400 off-contract.

Quite frankly, I think it's insulting to the general public that Motorola thinks they are such dunces that they will pay exorbitant prices for "Made in America" and colours. I will lose my faith in my southern neighbours if this phone succeeds in the USA.

BOM: $225.
Research and Development: few million a year for many years.
Buying large stock of parts: Buying millions of phones at once using a special loan from a bank (no one uses their own money). That's about $225 x for say a predicted run of 5,000,000 in the coming months to a year. That is $1,125,000,000 with a interest rate of let's sa 1.1%-6% (I can't give specifics but last I checked for laptops, it's in this range though it varies greatly as you can see).

Marketing: Few million every few months.

Tooling costs:
$40,000 for EACH plastic piece to create the tooling.
$50,000-$100,000 for any casting for metal allows. This is tooling only.
$25,000- Skies the limit for CNCing (I don't think there is any on the Moto X).
Keep in mind any change to tooling means you start over in costs, and trust me there was easily millions in tooling for this phone.

Labor costs:
USA: $15~.
They said 2,000 employees at their foth worth factory. That's 2,000 employee's likely at 15/hr or more. Plus taxes, plus healthcare, plus factory insurances (liability for accidents), administrative bills, accounting and more for all of those 2,000 employees.
Since the factory is in the USA: Parts will more than likely charged import duties, transportation costs, and other hassles..

Factory cost: Few tens or hundreds of millions to build. And millions more to maintain.

$600 for a USA Assembled phone in my opinion is an excellent bargain. Would I buy a Moto X? No, but I can't with good conscious call it overpriced.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Who says Verizon wanted the 32gb option or the customization right now? They are also launching 3 similar "droid" branded phones at the same time that aren't customizable at all. I'm sure they didn't want a phone so similar to cannibalize there DROID line-up right away and they've shown that they really don't like to offer higher GB options.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

The S4 came out a month later on Verizon and that was only after Verizon decided to push the release date up. Furthermore, the 32gb S4 on Verizon came out 2 months after that initial release.

Maybe this is a Verizon decision. They want to protect their Droid brand and the Moto X customization may cannibalize those sales.

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I think Phil ditched us. So I think there is no use in asking questions when there is no one there to answer them.

A wise man once said. This is one small step for ios and one giant leap for android.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

I can't put into words how much I agree with this. People are gonna have a bad taste in their mouth over this and moto will suffer for quite a while unless they have some miracle phone up their sleeves.

ser_solace

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I can't put into words how much I agree with this. People are gonna have a bad taste in their mouth over this and moto will suffer for quite a while unless they have some miracle phone up their sleeves.

Yeah, I agree too. No one will care enough a few months down the road when that carrier exclusive BS ends. By then the specs will be even more outclassed regardless of how nice the design is.

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Sure if these forums really had any pull, Apple would be the worst smartphone selling company and Google would be making everybody Nexus devices and ignoring all the oems.