I've got the Moto X, you've got questions ? fire away!

Makai5

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I ready own a nexus 4. I really like moto x. But if i get it do I just have redundant phones? Is it worth it

Posted via Android Central App

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Getting a more broad review of battery life is far more useful than another regurgitation of features that have been reviewed ad nauseum as different usage patterns will produce different experiences with the battery. Unless AC finds something unique amongst the software features that other reviewers didn't uncover or discuss, then don't waste the time repeating what everyone else has. Instead, give us something unique and more useful. To me, that would be the differentiation of reviews. And since I trust AC moreso than most of the others, I would very much like to hear more about Phil's experience with battery life.

not related to the a/c, but thought you might be interested in this:

What to expect from the Moto X?s ?24-hour? battery life | Android | Geek.com

Short order for everyone else:
Wrapup: the Moto X battery life explained in as many ?real world? tests as seemed important. This phone, like many others, will only get you to that 24 hour mark if 10 of those hours are spent never touching the phone. It is, however, a device with battery life greater than the current flagships in the Android ecosystem. If battery life is a concern for you, and you?re not on Verizon to take advantage of the massive battery in the Droid Maxx, the Moto X could very well be what you are looking for in a phone.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I like that they did the comparison for playing Ingress (which is a huge battery drain).

The results versus the HTC One look promising.

yeah, except for 1, every review that has compared to either of the other big flagships them has said it's better than htc one and s4. That's good enough for me.

granted, i think that would go without saying given that's how they planned the specs, so i think we can safely say the battery life is better than those 2. From everything i've read it's not a massive difference but definitely noticeable and measurable.

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I think if you were to purchase the Moto X for the full off-contract price, Verizon cannot force you to change your data plan. They should be able to transfer your number to the new sim card.

Someone may correct me if my understanding is wrong.

You are correct sir.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I love the new voice system of the new motorola Google phones. The moto x the mini the ultra and the ultra maxx. The hardware is disappointing though, I wish they would have boosted up the specs a little. Although they run on "eight cores" or so I was told by a Motorola rep. I still don't see the reason to switch from my S4. Maybe I'll try it out for a couple days.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I love the new voice system of the new motorola Google phones. The moto x the mini the ultra and the ultra maxx. The hardware is disappointing though, I wish they would have boosted up the specs a little. Although they run on "eight cores" or so I was told by a Motorola rep. I still don't see the reason to switch from my S4. Maybe I'll try it out for a couple days.

You wish they boosted the specs a little because ...

What would be different in the user experience if their we're 4 cores?

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
You wish they boosted the specs a little because ...

What would be different in the user experience if their we're 4 cores?

Well for one, if you're going to bring a product that is going to compete with the likes of the Samsung phones or the HTC one why not match or surpass their specs? You can get away with low specs on windows and iphones, but android is a very hardware dependent OS. So the 4 cores or even 8 cores would make a big difference. Better battery, life smoother performance are also benefits of having better specs. I am in no way bashing the phone, but I know none of the phones Motorola released is going to even come close to selling as much as the HTC one or Samsung galaxy s4.

Using Tapatalk 2.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Well for one, if you're going to bring a product that is going to compete with the likes of the Samsung phones or the HTC one why not match or surpass their specs? You can get away with low specs on windows and iphones, but android is a very hardware dependent OS. So the 4 cores or even 8 cores would make a big difference. Better battery, life smoother performance are also benefits of having better specs. I am in no way bashing the phone, but I know none of the phones Motorola released is going to even come close to selling as much as the HTC one or Samsung galaxy s4.

Using Tapatalk 2.

other than cores what specs are you talking about? Although i agree with you on the CPU since i just found out about Android being needing a good deal of power. But by all reports, this phone runs very smooth, smoother than the S4.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Using Tapatalk 2.
These are all such good facts, you've obviously done your research. Here are some other facts:

- The average S4 owner has never used the YouTube app; party because TouchWiz is a labyrinth of senselessness, and partly because they die of old age waiting for the app drawer to open.
- The HTC One's body is actually forged through a highly specialized proprietary process, after which it is quenched and hardened in a pool of tears provided by the children who work at the factory. This is what gives it it's signature sheen and delicate feel.
- The Moto X was originally supposed to have a dodecacore CPU, but Dennis Woodside was visited in a dream by the Archangel Gabriel who demanded he instead make a mid-range device, lest God's Galaxy S4 be rendered obsolete before He's up for another upgrade. Plus He's totes gonna get Jesus a G2 for Christmas.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Using Tapatalk 2.

The average consumer has no idea what you just said. In fact I asked my Mom the otherday what phone she owns and she doesn't even know the name of it. If you said the One has a better OS, better look, better cam, and is cheaper then maybe I'd think that you at least had some idea what consumers are looking for. But there is a very small amount of ppl who can tell you what processor is in their phone and how many cores it has.

These are all such good facts, you've obviously done your research. Here are some other facts:

- The average S4 owner has never used the YouTube app; party because TouchWiz is a labyrinth of senselessness, and partly because they die of old age waiting for the app drawer to open.
- The HTC One's body is actually forged through a highly specialized proprietary process, after which it is quenched and hardened in a pool of tears provided by the children who work at the factory. This is what gives it it's signature sheen and delicate feel.
- The Moto X was originally supposed to have a dodecacore CPU, but Dennis Woodside was visited in a dream by the Archangel Gabriel who demanded he instead make a mid-range device, lest God's Galaxy S4 be rendered obsolete before He's up for another upgrade. Plus He's totes gonna get Jesus a G2 for Christmas.

That was pretty funny. :D

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Using Tapatalk 2.

Better battery life would not be the result of higher specs, more cores for the cpu would require more power, more screen res needs more power.

You say it would be smoother, but everybody that has actually used the phone say it is as smooth as it can be.

If you just want more cores, that is fine. The way this phone was built, you don't need them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Better battery life would not be the result of higher specs, more cores for the cpu would require more power, more screen res needs more power.

You say it would be smoother, but everybody that has actually used the phone say it is as smooth as it can be.

If you just want more cores, that is fine. The way this phone was built, you don't need them.

Exactly. Faster, better battery life, smoother, more compact, unique features.

It sounds like they did release a better performing device even with "lesser specs". Honestly not sure what that means anymore. Screen is still above the magic 300 number, processor is flying through tasks. If we're talking benchmarks, who cares? If the device is faster and smoother than the higher spec'd devices, then obviously specs are not the leading indicators to performance, but merely correlated and potentially not very strongly correlated once we pass a hard line of diminishing returns that might have happened right around 2 cores on a processor.

Jesse253

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Paired bluetooth devices: What if the phone is paired with your car for music? Does touchless control still work? Can you just say "OK Google Now," give it instructions, and have the output come from your car stereo? Have you tried this? I can't use voice input with Android in my car when paired through bluetooth audio. I'm wondering if this would have the same issue.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Using Tapatalk 2.

Who cares about Specs. Specs are pointless.

Moto X focuses on the EXPERIENCE. That's right out of the Apple handbook.

People have no clue what's inside the phone. All they know is how it is when they use it. If it runs fast and smooth and it has a good battery life and a nice crisp screen, then what does anyone care how many cores it has?

jrowe

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen this really addressed in detail anywhere yet, but I read in passing somewhere in one of the moto pressers that both the X and new line of Droids are water resistant.

I was wondering if anyone has more details as to if that's actually true and at what level that resistance is? I mean I'm not planning to take it in the pool for underwater shots like I've seen with other phones but it would be nice to not have to worry about having it out in the rain, or spills, or other random life events :)

Thanks for any info!

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
As with the Razrs there is a water repellent nano coating (Motorola speak). This will be enough to hopefully keep away any damage caused by light spills or rain but it is not something I will personally count on.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Hey Phil (or anyone else who already has the Moto X), is there an easy way to disable LTE like there is on the HTC One? I've found that I only get a weak 1 bar of signal in my house when my One is using LTE. This isn't a problem for data since I'm using Wi-Fi, but it's resulting in missed calls and delayed text messages. However, if I force the One to use HSPA, I get 4-5 bars and have no problems with calls or texts. Assuming the X doesn't pull stronger LTE signal, I'll be wanting to do the same thing with it.

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe so I have been looking for that too, only a way to turn off data completely, like most phones. I am curious since I know I don't have lte only 4g in my town does the phone still automatically keep scanning for lte the entire time it's on 4g

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol